Resource allocation vs results....

Beerfish

Offense starters:  $54.5 million in cap space

1st round picks - 1

3rd round picks - 1

6th round picks - 1

trades of 5th, 5th and 6th rounders for players.

priority free agents - 3

non priority free agents - 2

17th in yards per game

18th in passing offense

20th in scoring

Defensive starters: $60.5 million in cap space

1st round picks - 6

2nd round picks - 1

priority free agents - 3

non priority free agents - 1

22nd in yards per game

31st in pass defense

26th in scoring

6 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The defense has a lot more explaining to do than the offense.  

The offense is dependent on Fitzpatrick.  A lot of the sh*tty performance can be explained by that.  The dline doesn't create consistent pressure and the back seven are constantly blowing their assignments.

Yup, most people on here even the most ardent fitz supporters knew he was an iffy qb at best that had a really good year last year for him but also that the jets have zero good qb's on the roster.

The defense is loaded with resources ans coaching and is not only not as good as advertised it is in epic fail mode right now.

The trades have all been gold to be honest, picking up impact players out of favour on the cheap is good gming.,  All those 1st rounders on defense though, and now playing a system where at least two of them are not in the best position to succeed for their skills falls on the coaching,

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Offense starters:  $54.5 million in cap space

1st round picks - 1

3rd round picks - 1

6th round picks - 1

trades of 5th, 5th and 6th rounders for players.

priority free agents - 3 

non priority free agents - 2

17th in yards per game

18th in passing offense

20th in scoring

Defensive starters: $60.5 million in cap space

1st round picks - 6

2nd round picks - 1

priority free agents - 3

non priority free agents - 1

22nd in yards per game

31st in pass defense

26th in scoring

Who are the priority free agents? Or is the same player counted as a high draft pick and then again counted as a priority free agent when his rookie deal has expired? Like Mo, Mangold, Revis: are they counted as 1st round picks or priority FAs? Powell & Harris counted as draft picks or priority FAs? Just trying to keep score.

Oh, and this is freaking pathetic. Thanks for making us feel worse than we already did.

The lowly scoring defense is more important than listing both yards per game and pass defense ranking. I think it goes without saying that the #31 pass defense will not be a top 20 overall yardage defense. Oh well, at least we're the #2 run defense across the board (yards, ypc, and TD). Yay, us!

On the pass D side, being 31st in pass defense yards but only 13th in pass attempts defended is a disgrace. All that investment and our HC was a freaking secondary coach in this league for the better part of 2 decades before his short stint as a DC. Just a disgrace.

I classified priority free agents as guys you had to go out and get and pay the price for with some competition.  McLendon, Gilchirst, skrine.  Henderson was not a priorityas he was a cheap give the guy a 2nd chance fa.

On offense Forte, Carpenter and decker were priority, Ijana and our tight ends non priority.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I classified priority free agents as guys you had to go out and get and pay the price for with some competition.  McLendon, Gilchirst, skrine.  Henderson was not a priorityas he was a cheap give the guy a 2nd chance fa.

On offense Forte, Carpenter and decker were priority, Ijana and our tight ends non priority.

OK, so no double-dipping. Gotcha.

Truth is, though, Revis being here now is "priority FA" more than his being here due to being a 1st round draft pick. He was off the team and there was competition for him with NE, so it's irrelevant that we took him in the draft 8 years ago or in what round we took him. Nitpicky classification, though, and doesn't take away from the overall point. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK, so no double-dipping. Gotcha.

Truth is, though, Revis being here now is "priority FA" more than his being here due to being a 1st round draft pick. He was off the team and there was competition for him with NE, so it's irrelevant that we took him in the draft 8 years ago or in what round we took him. Nitpicky classification, though, and doesn't take away from the overall point. 

Either way he is 17 mill vs the cap and stinks like the rest of them.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

We should hire a guy from the Seahawks and just bring in a ton of cheap guys and coach them up and then put them in the thunderdome

I've actually heard about this guy from the Jaguars that is a real wizard with contracts and did some time in Seattle so he knows how to draft...

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The trades have all been gold to be honest, picking up impact players out of favour on the cheap is good gming.,  All those 1st rounders on defense though, and now playing a system where at least two of them are not in the best position to succeed for their skills falls on the coaching,

You're right.  The offensive players do their jobs for the most part.  The ones acquired via trade are good (Clady and Marshall).  Decker and Carpenter were GREAT FA signings.  Powell, Enunwa, Mangold, and maybe even Winters do their jobs well.  These guys shouldn't get sh*t.  Really, there's only one man to blame for the inept offense.  As Fitzpatrick goes, the offense goes.  By the way, how good are Decker and Marshall to make Fitz look that good last year?

The defense, on the other hand, has no excuses.  The only ones who are playing well are Leonard Williams and Buster Skrine (he seems like the only guy in the secondary that doesn't get toasted).  I'll give a pass to Richardson.  He's been misused since last year and he hasn't bitched once about it.  Pryor blows.  Gilchrist blows.  Marcus Williams is a backup, at best.  Mauldin stinks.  Wilkerson is overrated.  And the secondary doesn't even know their assignments!!!

14 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, all good GMs trade draft picks all the time

I don;t think one can argue the value of getting a pro bowl Wr, a staring QB and a staring LT for 5,5,6

And believe me I see the value in picks and hate wasting them.  The area that Mac should be blasted in this regard is signing all of these free agents this past year and thus negating some or all of the comp picks were were going to get by losing FA.  Guys like jarvis Jenkins (who has done zero) mclendon when we seem to be playing 4-3 more often etc

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t think one can argue the value of getting a pro bowl Wr, a staring QB and a staring LT for 5,5,6

And believe me I see the value in picks and hate wasting them.  The area that Mac should be blasted in this regard is signing all of these free agents this past year and thus negating some or all of the comp picks were were going to get by losing FA.  Guys like jarvis Jenkins (who has done zero) mclendon when we seem to be playing 4-3 more often etc

I still think the Jenkins signing was due to Maccagnan misreading Mo's trade value. That is the only explanation for signing this guy, and erasing a 2017 draft pick in doing so.

I get bringing in a depth player like him in case one of the starters goes down, but I there are 2 problems. One, we were not contenders this year. Two, you bring in someone like that after pulling the trigger on a deal for Mo, not before.

I think Maccagnan's plan was obvious when looking at his actions in March+April: trade Muhammad Wilkerson. That's why he signed Jenkins. That's why he felt he could even stay in the bidding at $15M/year for Olivier Vernon. He was planning for life after Mo but wasn't prepared to accept less than his poor misreading of Mo's trade value.

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I still think the Jenkins signing was due to Maccagnan misreading Mo's trade value. That is the only explanation for signing this guy, and erasing a 2017 draft pick in doing so.

I get bringing in a depth player like him in case one of the starters goes down, but I there are 2 problems. One, we were not contenders this year. Two, you bring in someone like that after pulling the trigger on a deal for Mo, not before.

I think Maccagnan's plan was obvious when looking at his actions in March+April: trade Muhammad Wilkerson. That's why he signed Jenkins. That's why he felt he could even stay in the bidding at $15M/year for Olivier Vernon. He was planning for life after Mo but wasn't prepared to accept less than his poor misreading of Mo's trade value.

Then he could have just brought back Douzable for cheaper money and not wasted a draft pick. The difference between he and Jenkins isn't all that much. The offseason plans to me have been just not as good as everyone cracks them up to be. Don't even get me started with the CB situation.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Then he could have just brought back Douzable for cheaper money and not wasted a draft pick. The difference between he and Jenkins isn't all that much. The offseason plans to me have been just not as good as everyone cracks them up to be. Don't even get me started with the CB situation.

I liked Douzable.  not sure what the point was of losing him.  It maybe what Spermie said. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think comp picks are determined by high price FAs.

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh yeah there is a very very small minority that can.  The vast majority of people look at the price point of picks vs the benefit you get from the players you get from them.

The vast majority of Jets fans tend to be right about most things.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Bingo. Said this at the time. Douzable could have been signed for the league minimum, and in fact did sign for the league minimum with Buffalo, which means he doesn't cancel out a draft pick. Even if Jenkins is better, it's not a night & day thing. 

Just absentminded, irresponsible management. In particular from one who was a scout who should want as many picks as possible to really show his stuff.

Archived