Time to Tank

UntouchableCrew

I think it's obvious what needs to happen at this point. Macc and Bowles inherited an old, declining team with cap room and (likely at Woody's behest) went on a spending spree as a band-aid stop gap to make the team as competitive as possible. We stumbled into an easy as pie schedule, the veteran journeyman who was never intended to start had the best year of his career, and we somehow won 10 games while only beating two good teams all year.

This year the opposite has happened. We have a brutal schedule and have declined in every noticeable area. Our Cinderella QB has turned into a pumpkin. The once elite defense looks like swiss cheese. Our aging veterans look old, slow, and ineffective.

So what's the next step? We need to tank. We need the top pick in the draft -- hopefully DeShaun Watson, but I'll take any elite QB prospect the scouts believe in.

So what do we do?

Fire sale -- trade every older good player we can. Trade Brandon Marshall to a contender looking for someone to put them over the top. Trade Sheldon Richardson while he still has value. Trade Decker if you can. Trade Mangold if you can. Trade Forte if you can. Revis will be impossible to move, but see if there's any market. Get rid of these old players and start playing the young guys. We need to tank, acquire as many picks as possible and go for a real rebuild -- a rebuild around a good young QB.

The losing sucks but unless we get our guy we'll never be where we want to be. There's only one way to get that guy -- take advantage of this pathetic 1-5 start and TANK the season to get him.

Heres the thing. The season's not over. I realize the Jets are playing awful. I realize the secondary can't stop anyone, the D-line can't sack the QB and the offense can't get in the endzone. Even our great rookie punter looked bad last night.

But this team still has a lot of talent. Across the board. It's completely unrealistic to think the Jets can start finagling multiple trades and moving their veteran players. That's just not going to happen. ONE trade may happen, maybe its even a big name player like Richardson. But the Jets could very go on a run, and it could very well happen right now. Ravens at home, Browns on the road, Dolphins on the road and Rams at home. Then they go into the bye to prep for the Pats- at home. 5-5 at the bye. 

This is going to happen. Just watch. For better or worse. It doesn't mean they will get into the playoffs, it doesn't mean they will beat the Pats.

So all of this tanking talk is moot. These trades won't happen and the Jets won't keep losing now that the first 6 game 'brutal' schedule is over and done with.     

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's obvious what needs to happen at this point. Macc and Bowles inherited an old, declining team with cap room and (likely at Woody's behest) went on a spending spree as a band-aid stop gap to make the team as competitive as possible. We stumbled into an easy as pie schedule, the veteran journeyman who was never intended to start had the best year of his career, and we somehow won 10 games while only beating two good teams all year.

This year the opposite has happened. We have a brutal schedule and have declined in every noticeable area. Our Cinderella QB has turned into a pumpkin. The once elite defense looks like swiss cheese. Our aging veterans look old, slow, and ineffective.

So what's the next step? We need to tank. We need the top pick in the draft -- hopefully DeShaun Watson, but I'll take any elite QB prospect the scouts believe in.

So what do we do?

Fire sale -- trade every older good player we can. Trade Brandon Marshall to a contender looking for someone to put them over the top. Trade Sheldon Richardson while he still has value. Trade Decker if you can. Trade Mangold if you can. Trade Forte if you can. Revis will be impossible to move, but see if there's any market. Get rid of these old players and start playing the young guys. We need to tank, acquire as many picks as possible and go for a real rebuild -- a rebuild around a good young QB.

The losing sucks but unless we get our guy we'll never be where we want to be. There's only one way to get that guy -- take advantage of this pathetic 1-5 start and TANK the season to get him.

For who?  This is the worst year to have the 1st overall pick if your looking for a QB.

Archived