Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

Just now, SMC said:

Of course NOW Melo hits a game winning shot to screw up draft position.

Still, Knicks are in good shape to have a shot at top 4 lottery seeding

Look, I'm all for losing out, but that would have been a humiliating L last night. The Sixers are playing with a makeshift lineup and the Knicks blew a heavy lead in the most preposterous fashion. If the Knicks get knocked out of Fultz or Ball because of 1 loss, I'll bitch about it then. But for god's sake that one would have hurt last night.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, I'm all for losing out, but that would have been a humiliating L last night. The Sixers are playing with a makeshift lineup and the Knicks blew a heavy lead in the most preposterous fashion. If the Knicks get knocked out of Fultz or Ball because of 1 loss, I'll bitch about it then. But for god's sake that one would have hurt last night.

The win wasn't a draft killer because the schedule down the stretch is tough.  Plus, that they nearly lost at home to an undermanned Philly team bodes well for them to go on a much needed long losing streak.  My comment is more about Melo not being there when they really need him such as that bac stretch after 14-10 which ruined the season.  Melo was awful from the Suns game onward.

On February 26, 2017 at 9:33 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

About a dozen horrific losses this year that the Knicks could have won had a shot been made or maybe the refs actually called fouls occasionally  when Rose or Melo drove to the basket

As far as draft goes it's all about who the nba wants to get the top 3 picks.  It is rigged every year if you don't think so I have Bernie Madoff's mutual fund shares to sell you

Joel Embiid out indefinitely with a swollen knee, possibly for remainder of season.  He was great while he played, but he's only played 31 games.  He can't get the Rookie of the Year in my opinion for so few games.

This also opens the door for Willy's outside shot for ROY

Melo scared me a bit with the open 3 for the game winner, but Melo being Melo, he thankfully missed.  Good loss.

Now they need that losing streak to move up in lottery position.  They're only 2 losses behind the 4th seeded Magic.  They play Magic soon so another loss will do great for them.

14 hours ago, SMC said:

Watching Kentucky and Vanderbilt on ESPN now.  Kentucky's Fox and Monk are 2 prospects the Knicks will be looking at in lottery.

Monk went off vs. my boys over the weekend with Fox out of the line up.  Like, holy sh*t he cant be stopped kind of going off.  He's special.  He's a streaky player but when he's on...my god, that dude can ball.

I'd love either one.  They'll both be top 5 picks and be studs IMO. 

On 3/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, JiF said:

Monk went off vs. my boys over the weekend with Fox out of the line up.  Like, holy sh*t he cant be stopped kind of going off.  He's special.  He's a streaky player but when he's on...my god, that dude can ball.

I'd love either one.  They'll both be top 5 picks and be studs IMO. 

I agree.  So long as Knicks stay top 10 they should be fine.  I still think they can get top 5, but with KP healthy that's tough.  Philly losing Embiid means they'll have a worse record than the Knicks from here on out.

16 hours ago, Larz said:

can mac cut rose?

My understanding with Rose is what held up the deadline deals was that nobody knew what his salary demands would be come summer. So Phil's waiting it out to see if they can pull off a sign and trade. Thibs was all in on him but Minny didn't know if he'd be demanding a max deal or not.

Good day for Knicks wouldve turned into great day if Magic completed their upset bid of Wizards. But huge win by Suns for Knicks.

Knicks now 7 lottery seed and have striking distance of 3 seed only 4 losses back.

Knicks need to keep on losing.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Are they really going to sell on us on Carmelo again next year? There's no way you can bring him back. He is so so bad. Get him off the team. Negotiate a buy out. Anything. Doing this again next year is insane.

Like I mentioned before, they're not going to buy him out because of the cap hit.  But I do think it gets resolved next summer and Melo finally decides to waive his no trade clause.  Knicks will have more flexibility without having to match salaries.

On March 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

My understanding with Rose is what held up the deadline deals was that nobody knew what his salary demands would be come summer. So Phil's waiting it out to see if they can pull off a sign and trade. Thibs was all in on him but Minny didn't know if he'd be demanding a max deal or not.

Why would anyone sign Rose to anything more than a one year deal at sh-t money after this season he had for us?

Rose's only value was as an expiring contract

Not sure why they didn't just pull the trigger.  They don't like Rubio anymore but I guess thibs got veto'd

14 hours ago, SMC said:

Like I mentioned before, they're not going to buy him out because of the cap hit.  But I do think it gets resolved next summer and Melo finally decides to waive his no trade clause.  Knicks will have more flexibility without having to match salaries.

Realistically the Knicks won't be able to trade Carmelo until next February

I think he goes to the clippers

On 3/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, SMC said:

Screw the cap hit. Him being on the roster is way worse than any cap penalty they'll have to swallow for a year. He has to be gone. If they bring him back again next year they are insane. He brings nothing to the team other than being a total distraction.

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Screw the cap hit. Him being on the roster is way worse than any cap penalty they'll have to swallow for a year. He has to be gone. If they bring him back again next year they are insane. He brings nothing to the team other than being a total distraction.

You're missing my point. I believe Melo is gone in offseason. They simply won't cut him because of cap hit. If they trade him in offseason the Knicks DO NOT have to take back matching salaries.

So, just because Melo makes $25m next year the Knicks wont have to take back $25m in salary with an offseason trade. They would have to with in-season trade.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

You're missing my point. I believe Melo is gone in offseason. They simply won't cut him because of cap hit. If they trade him in offseason the Knicks DO NOT have to take back matching salaries.

So, just because Melo makes $25m next year the Knicks wont have to take back $25m in salary with an offseason trade. They would have to with in-season trade.

The chances of any team wanting Carmelo or him actually agreeing to a trade are basically zero. It's going to be an interesting offseason. Bringing him back would be absolutely insane. We're passing Arod territory here.