Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

It never made sense for either team to trade their star players, but Bulls and Pacers telling everyone who calls that Butler and George aren't available.

Didn't understand the pipe dream by Ainge that either player was in play.  

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

It never made sense for either team to trade their star players, but Bulls and Pacers telling everyone who calls that Butler and George aren't available.

Didn't understand the pipe dream by Ainge that either player was in play.  

That's a stupid mentality for a team to have.  Every player carries a value, and every player can, and should, be traded at any time for the right price.  Saying a player is "not available" limits your franchise's ability to grow. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's a stupid mentality for a team to have.  Every player carries a value, and every player can, and should, be traded at any time for the right price.  Saying a player is "not available" limits your franchise's ability to grow. 

Disagree to an extent when you're talking about superstars, the dearth of superstar availability and the fact that a team rarely gets equal value for trading a superstar player.

This is telling teams that Butler and George are available at an extreme price.  Teams like the Celtics are calling with sh*t offers so the Bulls/Pacers are telling Ainge not to bother.  There is nothing Celtics can offer that's equal value.  The Celtics' Nets picks aren't equal value for either Butler or George, but reports keep saying that Ainge is trying to hold on to them.  That's foolish.

Phil Jackson is reportedly a fan of Ricky Rubio.

According to David Aldridge, Tom Thibodeau is "not really enamored" with Ricky Rubio right now, and he feels Derrick Rose would be an "upgrade" at the point guard position, which is a pretty fascinating take. A straight up Rose-Rubio swap would work under the cap guidelines, and with Thibs reportedly making a strong push for Rose, this is certainly a deal we could see go down on deadline day.

Here's the link to a great article on the behind the scenes of how a trade works

http://hoopshype.com/2017/02/21/this-is-how-trades-go-down-in-the-nba/

I give Ainge credit for inflated the value of the assets he holds.  Supposedly he told the Bulls that in any trade for Butler he wouldn't include Crowder.  Crowder, seriously.  I like Crowder, but we're talking about getting a 27 year old All Star on a good deal in Butler.  Plus, he's balking at giving up the Nets picks.  Crazy.

The Nets picks are good picks--but they're still picks!  There's no LeBron or Davis at the top of the next 2 drafts.  I like Fultz and Lonzo, but they're not bona fide prospects.  They can still bust.  You get guarantees with Butler.  Ainge needs to sh*t or get off the pot with these picks because they're going to get devalued real quick.

33 minutes ago, SMC said:

I know Knicks what more pieces, but It's funny that they and Minny are engaged in such long trade discussions that would end up just swapping players.

I don't know if the trade will happen or not, but it would be ideal to end up on the right side of a good trade for a change. I like Rubio, and even if we acquire him, I think you can take a PG in the upcoming draft - if that the best player we are looking at on the clock. Your thoughts?

The Clippers and Knicks have discussed a trade involving Courtney Lee, according to ESPN's Ian Begley.

The Knicks are reportedly looking for draft picks, which the Clippers don't have, so it's unclear how far these discussions have gone. Lee would be a nice real-world addition to the Clippers but it wouldn't help his fantasy stock.

The Rubio-Rose trade made too much sense.  Means it won't happen.

Ape, absolutely.  A Rubio trade means that the Knicks will draft a PG IMO.  This gives the Knicks a chance to groom the rookie PG while the 26 yr old Rubio plays.  Unfortunately, it looks like deal is dead.

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There wasnt exactly much he could do. We're basically watching the hourglass till Melo is off the books.

This is true, but the Rubio trade was there to be had.  

According to reports, Phil overplayed his hand and wanted more than just a Rubio-Rose swap that Minny wanted.  Once Knicks decided to do the swap near the deadline, Minny backed out.

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

This is true, but the Rubio trade was there to be had.  

According to reports, Phil overplayed his hand and wanted more than just a Rubio-Rose swap that Minny wanted.  Once Knicks decided to do the swap near the deadline, Minny backed out.

Sure. But at the end of the day not getting Rubio gives us a better pick this year anyways.

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. But at the end of the day not getting Rubio gives us a better pick this year anyways.

I'm thinking that as well.

If the ping pongs fall just right, it would be great if the Knicks got a higher pick than the Celtics's Nets' pick.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the schedule, I don't see how, not with 22 victories, the Knicks get to 30 wins.  Which is great.  Get a top 4 pick.

My problem is next summer when they won't have any veteran PG and won't be able to sign one because no one will want to sign here.

Phil screwing up the Rose-Rubio swap is another black mark on his presidency

Here's the remainder of the schedule.  Where are the 8 wins to get to 30?

Fri, Mar 3 7:00 PM   911 available from $46
Sun, Mar 5 3:30 PM ABC 999 available from $221
Mon, Mar 6 7:00 PM   1,818 available from $18
Wed, Mar 8 8:00 PM   1,809 available from $11
Sat, Mar 11 5:00 PM   1,753 available from $20
Sun, Mar 12 6:00 PM   2,330 available from $45
Tue, Mar 14 7:30 PM   2,016 available from $49
Thu, Mar 16 7:30 PM   2,052 available from $55
Mon, Mar 20 10:30 PM TNT 2,986 available from $11
Wed, Mar 22 10:30 PM ESPNwatchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transp 598 available from $13
Thu, Mar 23 10:00 PM NBATV 988 available from $15
Sat, Mar 25 8:30 PM NBATV 1,166 available from $36
Mon, Mar 27 7:30 PM   2,328 available from $40
Wed, Mar 29 7:30 PM   2,172 available from $50
Fri, Mar 31 8:00 PM   2,959 available from $27
APRIL OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV TICKETS
Sun, Apr 2 1:00 PM ABC 1,867 available from $71
Tue, Apr 4 8:00 PM ESPNwatchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transp 1,810 available from $60
Thu, Apr 6 7:30 PM   2,383 available from $50
Fri, Apr 7 8:00 PM   1,252 available from $10
Sun, Apr 9 12:00 PM NBATV 1,604 available from $65
Wed, Apr 12 8:00 PM

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's truly incredible how the Knicks just continue to allow Carmelo to jack up shots every night, lose and pretend he isnt the problem. Nothing matters until he's off the team. 6 years of the same crap. 

That helps the tanking

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Agree. But he needs to be released/bought out after the season assuming he continues to use the no trade. Enough.

I agree he needs to go, but you have to wait 1 more season.  Releasing him after this season would hurt the future cap because they'd have to spread his salary over future years.

He has an opt-out after 2017-18 and then his money is off the books.

Just now, SMC said:

I agree he needs to go, but you have to wait 1 more season.  Releasing him after this season would hurt the future cap because they'd have to spread his salary over future years.

He has an opt-out after 2017-18 and then his money is off the books.

Did not realize that. Ugh

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Did not realize that. Ugh

Yep.  It's similar to dead money in NFL.

Melo's salary next year (2017/18) is $26.2m and his salary the following year (2018/19) is $27.9m, which is actually an opt-out year.

We have to assume that Melo opts out of that final season which means he's a free agent after 2017/18 and Knicks are off the hook for the $27.9m.  However, if the Knicks waive him after this season, both next year AND the optout year has to be accounted for in future cap years.

If the Knicks bought out Melo after this season they can either chose to have the full cap hits in both years or spread it out for 4 years, either way, cutting into their available cap to sign players.

13 minutes ago, Barton said:

Melo again talking to the media, commenting onon the knicks not making any deadline deals.

Why does he think he's so important? Just shut up and play basketball, dude. You're not Lebron. Nobody gives a sh## about your thoughts on the knicks doing this or that.

That's part of the issue. He tries to carry all the cache of a superstar but gives you nothing on the floor that remotely resembles it. The Knicks have kissed his ass for the last 6 years and I still fear them giving in again because Isola is giving Phil a hard time and Dolan is more reactionary than Woody

On 2/23/2017 at 2:58 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also worth noting that Porzingis speaks Spanish, so theoretically we could have 3 of the starting 5 next year communicating in a language that our opponent wouldn't understand.

I call it The Bandito Strategy.

how many different ways can you say "I'm open melo......**** !"   ?

• Upvote 1