What does Brandon Shell think about his first two starts? | Jets Q&A

Gas2No99

What does Brandon Shell think about his first two starts? | Jets Q&A

The New York Jets hold rookie mini camp
Fifth round draft pick Brandon Shell attends the New York Jets hold rookie mini camp. 5/6/16 Florham Park, NJ (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on December 30, 2016 at 6:30 AM, updated December 30, 2016 at 6:35 AM

FLORHAM PARK -- It looks like the Jets are going to have openings at both offensive tackle positions next year. 

Well, actually, if Brandon Shell keeps playing like this, it may be just one opening. 

The Jets' fifth-round pick in this year's draft, Shell hasn't allowed a single quarterback hurry, according to ProFootballFocus.com, in each of his first two starts. Ever since taking over at right tackle, the 6-6, 324-pound South Carolina product has been a bright spot in an otherwise dark, dark season. 

Earlier this week, NJ Advance Media caught up with Shell to talk to him about his rookie season's going. 

You haven't allowed a single pass rush in your first two starts. Did you expect this much success so quickly?

SHELL: I've seen it, but I just go into every game looking to work. I'm trying to do my job the best I can. I try not to look at the numbers. I just want to go out there and do the job as best I can. 

You started this season behind quite a few guys -- Breno Giacomini, Ben Ijalana, Brent Qvale -- when you became the starter, did you feel the game was too fast, or did you fit right in?

SHELL:  Going against our defense in practice really helped me a lot. Also being able to sit on the sidelines and watch those other guys play, watching them in film study, watching what they do. I try to take a little bit of something from everybody and add it to my game and see if it works for me. That's what I did the majority of the year. 

You get to go up against Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson every day in practice. Have they given you any advice from a defensive lineman's point of view?

SHELL: Those guys give me advice, sure, but I really just try to block them. I try to do different things. If I get beat, it's practice. It's a chance for me to learn from my mistakes. Go out there and just try new things to get an edge. 

Where have you seen the biggest change of your game from rookie minicamp, to now?

SHELL: I think I know the playbook so much more, which allows me to play without thinking. I'm not hesitant. I feel watching other people, taking what they do and trying it myself. I've started piecing things together to see how things work. I'm adding new things to my game all the time. I watch Ryan [Clady], Breno [Giacomini], Ben and Brent. I see what they bring to the table, and then I put it in my game. 

There's a good chance both offensive tackle spots are open next year. Are you using this time as an audition?

SHELL: It's a business. It's a job. I'm out here fighting for a spot like anyone else. Everything you do counts. Everything you do is being watched. You need to go out there and do the best you can. 

Do you view yourself as a left tackle or right tackle?

SHELL: It really doesn't matter. Wherever coach wants to play me I'll play. 

What's the biggest difference between the two?

SHELL: People don't notice it from watching, but there is a big difference. If you're right-handed person, obviously your right side is your natural side. Being on the left is stepping out of your comfort zone. You're not as comfortable. 

Has there been a 'Welcome to the NFL' moment for you yet?

SHELL: Just being out there. Running through the tunnel my first start when they called the offensive line. When they called my name, I just said, 'This is everything I dreamed of ... it's right in front of my face.' I just needed to go out there and put in the work. 

I guess Shell's work ethic isn't an issue based on the fact that he is playing.  Didn't he have the rep of having potential but being little lazy coming into the league?   Seems like he could be a keeper, unlike Harrison who lived up to the "lazy" reputation.

7 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I guess Shell's work ethic isn't an issue based on the fact that he is playing.  Didn't he have the rep of having potential but being little lazy coming into the league?   Seems like he could be a keeper, unlike Harrison who lived up to the "lazy" reputation.

Nah, I think that was Harrison who has since proven that the evaluators were right about him and has been jettison .

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Pat Eflein, from "the Ohio State University." Should be there for us with our 2nd rd pick. 

I prefer the kid from Kentucky Jon Toth  who was a 4 yr starter . Kid went up against some of the best in the SEC, and held his own . I wanna draft kids that like the game and have stayed in school and done well .  kids with Character .

18 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I prefer the kid from Kentucky Jon Toth  who was a 4 yr starter . Kid went up against some of the best in the SEC, and held his own . I wanna draft kids that like the game and have stayed in school and done well .  kids with Character .

Agree, this team more than most needs character guys. Where is Toth projected?  Watched that NC Qb yesterday....not impressed. The guy I really want us to draft will be on display tonight , Mike Williams. Should be a great match up vs OSU secondary.

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Cut Mangold. 

Cut Giacomini.

Re-sign Winters.

Extend Wesley 

Draft a LT 

Exactly. Although depth will still be an issue, we could go from having maybe the worst OL in the NFL to a very solid unit with the addition of an elite LT, and a years more development for Winters and Wesley

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Agree, this team more than most needs character guys. Where is Toth projected?  Watched that NC Qb yesterday....not impressed. The guy I really want us to draft will be on display tonight , Mike Williams. Should be a great match up vs OSU secondary.

Can't do it man  .  This team needs a QB, a LT and an Edge Rusher . I am hoping 2 of these QBs and maybe 3 get drafted early and maybe we can get a shot at that kid from A&M Myles Garrett .

Archived