Did we get rid of the chant?

Lot K Tailgaters

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The chant was awesome that way. Twice as many chants.

e181a07dd07ffbbd40409d52ef5899ee.jpg

Man oh man, if only there was an iPhone app that let you Chanters play as many chants as you want as loudly as you want at any Jets home or road game.

SAR I

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Well maybe newbies like you think Fireman Ed is synonymous with the chant.
For us old timers who remember Shea and Giants Stadium the chant is synonymous with attending a Jets football game. IMO the best days of the chant were when the team moved from Shea to NJ and a guy who's name is escapes me would start the chant in Section 301 and the guy in the Klecko jersey in the opposite end zone maybe Section 325.
That stadium rocked, both guys had to give up their seats if I remember correctly 1 due to health and the other relocated.
Ed is a mere newcomer.

It is documented that Fireman Ed led the chant for 27 years at the time he hung up the larynx in 2012.  So that puts his reign starting back in 1984.

If the typical season ticket holder is 45-55 years old, those fans from 1984 are now in their 70's and 80's, not many of them attend games any more.  And as the years went by the chant got less and less important, those in their 20's in 1984 are now in their 50's, many gave up their season tickets when they had young kids, some didn't want PSL's, sometimes we lose track of time or fail to recognize that the season ticket population is always moving, always evolving.

Point being, to all but the 70 and 80 year olds in the stadium, the chant is synonymous with Fireman Ed and as their opinion of him changes so goes the chant.  The chant still lives, it's still happening.  It's just a lot quieter than it used to be.  It's still there.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone wins!

After a score, you Chanters get huuuuuge volume and never-ending Fireman Ed chants and the rest of those of us who identify as fans can wink at each other and reach out to our friends on Instagram.

And, as an added bonus, the app allows you to use the chant as a smartphone alert, so it's J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! as your daily alarm clock!  Whoa baby!

SAR I

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

I sat in section 123 from 1984 - 2003.  I remember the dueling endzones very well.  the East end was always better.

I sat in Sec 301 in the old stadium and was next to the guy who lead the chant up there.  He was really into it and after many years stopped going and was never seen again.  Looked like he def enjoyed the pre game festivities.  

One shouldn't label. 
Are you a season ticket holder?
SAR I

Yes I am a long time season ticket holder, my father and uncle first bought tickets in 1964.
They bought 2 tickets each the first year At Shea. When I got old enough my dad started bring me to games in 1967 when I was five.
My uncle was a police officer who was severely injured on the job and required a wheelchair to get around and my dad took over his 2 tickets so my cousins could come with us. When the team moved to NJ my dad
stopped coming because he hated sitting in traffic and I was able to sell 2 seats to my lifelong friends, now since I have 4 kids of my own I go to 80% of the games. But I've never scalped my tickets once in all those years.
The crowd has changed immensely over the years, instead of people sitting and watching
the action or lack thereof, people just sit and either watch the annoying scoreboards or have their face buried in their phone. Maybe it's just my section but it seems every week there's different fans sitting around me and not many are paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

27 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Yes I am a long time season ticket holder, my father and uncle first bought tickets in 1964.
They bought 2 tickets each the first year At Shea. When I got old enough my dad started bring me to games in 1967 when I was five.
My uncle was a police officer who was severely injured on the job and required a wheelchair to get around and my dad took over his 2 tickets so my cousins could come with us. When the team moved to NJ my dad
stopped coming because he hated sitting in traffic and I was able to sell 2 seats to my lifelong friends, now since I have 4 kids of my own I go to 80% of the games. But I've never scalped my tickets once in all those years.
The crowd has changed immensely over the years, instead of people sitting and watching
the action or lack thereof, people just sit and either watch the annoying scoreboards or have their face buried in their phone. Maybe it's just my section but it seems every week there's different fans sitting around me and not many are paying attention.

Great recap. What section are you in?  Where I am my experience is very different, we have the sa,e guys show up each week. 

SAR I

Miss the chant, but just doesn't work in the new venue.  Part of my group, 4 people, are dropping tickets for 2017.  Only other group of regs in my section told us they may drop and go Stubhub at the Buffalo game.  Thank god for tailgating, all I have to say.  They take that away, I'm done.  

8 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Miss the chant, but just doesn't work in the new venue.  Part of my group, 4 people, are dropping tickets for 2017.  Only other group of regs in my section told us they may drop and go Stubhub at the Buffalo game.  Thank god for tailgating, all I have to say.  They take that away, I'm done.  

They have made the parking lot and parking spots smaller, I miss the days where you were able to park along the curb line and tailgate. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They have made the parking lot and parking spots smaller, I miss the days where you were able to park along the curb line and tailgate. 

You have to find the right places to tailgate . Plenty of room out there without taking up extra parking spots .

Or a blue collar worker? 

No I am a Wall Street Trader. However I am a product of a blue collar family.
I never bought a PSL because I figured no matter how much money I have, Woody will always have more. I'm lucky enough to have the longevity as a STH to get low row mid field upper deck tickets.

41 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

You nimrod ; they run buses in the parking lot to take tailgaters to the stadium ; DUH !! Have you ever been to the stadium ?

Yes but I never parked that far away to need a bus to get me to the entrance, no thanks not interested. :D

Enjoy the bus ride and being round up like a herd of cattle not for me. 

30 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I never bought a PSL because I figured no matter how much money I have, Woody will always have more. I'm lucky enough to have the longevity as a STH to get low row mid field upper deck tickets.

A certain person who asked you what section you sat in despises blue collar workers. 

43 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Use some of those commissions to check out some of the PSLs on the secondary market.  Some are 10 cents on the dollar.

Then you don't have to sit with other burpers and farters.

Your stock will also rise with SAR which is a big plus.

Use some of those commissions to check out some of the PSLs on the secondary market.  Some are 10 cents on the dollar.
Then you don't have to sit with other burpers and farters.
Your stock will also rise with SAR which is a big plus.

No thanks, I enjoy the upper deck like I said I was lucky enough to be able to get lower row upper deck tickets. I've sat in friends seats in both the lower level and mezz level seats and
I think I like the ability to see the whole field better. Just my opinion, I sat in section 317 at Shea and 313 at Giants. While my seats at metlife are quite a bit higher i feel i can see the plays develop better.

10 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

No thanks, I enjoy the upper deck like I said I was lucky enough to be able to get lower row upper deck tickets. I've sat in friends seats in both the lower level and mezz level seats and
I think I like the ability to see the whole field better. Just my opinion, I sat in section 317 at Shea and 313 at Giants. While my seats at metlife are quite a bit higher i feel i can see the plays develop better.

I hear you there.  My seats are in 339 on the 48 yard line Row 8.  You definitely can see the plays develop better.

7 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

There have been free shuttle buses from the IZOD side since the Jets moved to NJ in 1984. Or someone who was in any sort of non obese human shape could walk from the pedestrian bridge to the SAP gate in around 4 minutes.

jet fan.jpgYou callin me obese ?????

7 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

There have been free shuttle buses from the IZOD side since the Jets moved to NJ in 1984. Or someone who was in any sort of non obese human shape could walk from the pedestrian bridge to the SAP gate in around 4 minutes.

Thats a 2 beer walk did it once.Id rather stick with the green or yellow parking. Someone who is obese could also benefit from the exercise. 

Archived