Jets re-sign DT Mike Pennel

Integrity28

Is this another one of these Jarvis Jenkins deals where it could hurt our ability to get a compensation pick in next year's draft?  I don't understand the rules that well but would this offset a pick we might get if Geno signs elsewhere?  

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Is this another one of these Jarvis Jenkins deals where it could hurt our ability to get a compensation pick in next year's draft?  I don't understand the rules that well but would this offset a pick we might get if Geno signs elsewhere?  

No, for multiple reasons.  First, he's our own free agent, so he doesn't count against us in that calculation.  Second, only contracts above a certain value qualify, and I doubt we're paying him enough that he qualifies.  Third, we have trash free agents of our own this year, and I highly doubt any of them sign a qualifying deal good enough to even put us in line for a 7th round comp pick.  So no worries.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No, for multiple reasons.  First, he's our own free agent, so he doesn't count against us in that calculation.  Second, only contracts above a certain value qualify, and I doubt we're paying him enough that he qualifies.  Third, we have trash free agents of our own this year, and I highly doubt any of them sign a qualifying deal good enough to even put us in line for a 7th round comp pick.  So no worries.

Thanks for explaining it

Archived