Just Got An Xbox One

Maxman

I just got an Xbox One. Well, here is what happened. My youngest son is getting the Nintendo Switch it has been shipped and gets here on Tuesday. So I talked him into putting his Xbox One in the basement. Which means the old Xbox 360 is now a dedicated Madden game machine during Jets tailgates. Anyhow, back on topic...

I bought GTA 5. I know it isn't brand new and I have played it on the 360. But somehow the version I had ended up disappearing to my other son's dorm room at school lol. So it is new to me.

Anyone have game recommendations?

Welcome to the Xbox One family; I think most of the other guys here have PlayStations, so we're in an exclusive club. As far as games, there are plenty to pick from but it depends on what you like. 

Forza Horizon 3 is good if you like racing games, Gears of War 4 if you like shooters. Rocket League is fun (it's basically soccer with cars) but you can only play it online with other people. Then there's Fallout 4, Dishonored 2, The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Star Wars Battlefront, Batman: Arkham Knight and probably some others I can't remember or haven't played. 

As far as sports games go, there is of course Madden for football and FIFA for soccer, and the NHL and NBA games are fun too. The only suck thing is that the best MLB game (The Show) is PlayStation-only, so we get stuck with RBI Baseball, which isn't that great a game unless you're hard up for baseball. 

You might also try flipping through the video games thread and check out some of the videos in there to see what else you might like. 

Anyway, hope that helps. My screen name is Bombdirt on there as well but I don't play online much at all. Enjoy. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I just got an Xbox One. Well, here is what happened. My youngest son is getting the Nintendo Switch it has been shipped and gets here on Tuesday. So I talked him into putting his Xbox One in the basement. Which means the old Xbox 360 is now a dedicated Madden game machine during Jets tailgates. Anyhow, back on topic...

I bought GTA 5. I know it isn't brand new and I have played it on the 360. But somehow the version I had ended up disappearing to my other son's dorm room at school lol. So it is new to me.

Anyone have game recommendations?

I thought I was the only doofus left playing Halo and Madden on X box 360. 

6 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Welcome to the Xbox One family; I think most of the other guys here have PlayStations, so we're in an exclusive club. As far as games, there are plenty to pick from but it depends on what you like. 

Forza Horizon 3 is good if you like racing games, Gears of War 4 if you like shooters. Rocket League is fun (it's basically soccer with cars) but you can only play it online with other people. Then there's Fallout 4, Dishonored 2, The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Star Wars Battlefront, Batman: Arkham Knight and probably some others I can't remember or haven't played. 

As far as sports games go, there is of course Madden for football and FIFA for soccer, and the NHL and NBA games are fun too. The only suck thing is that the best MLB game (The Show) is PlayStation-only, so we get stuck with RBI Baseball, which isn't that great a game unless you're hard up for baseball. 

You might also try flipping through the video games thread and check out some of the videos in there to see what else you might like. 

Anyway, hope that helps. My screen name is Bombdirt on there as well but I don't play online much at all. Enjoy. 

Thanks. Right now I have some autogenerated screen name lol.

I have Fallout 4 I am going to check that one out next. After I play GTA for a bit.

I wanted a boxing game but it looks like there aren't any. I did buy a used copy of Fight Night 4 for the 360, just started playing that. I know it is compatible so I might have to stick with that one for now.

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I thought I was the only doofus left playing Halo and Madden on X box 360. 

Haven't played Halo yet, but I do have it for the Xbox One. Let me know when you upgrade. :)

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Haven't played Halo yet, but I do have it for the Xbox One. Let me know when you upgrade. :)

Upgrade? I don't do upgrades. I just have to walk into one of my sons rooms and they got the X box one. I play 2k with Sal sometimes. I have an xbox live account the boys made me. 

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Upgrade? I don't do upgrades. I just have to walk into one of my sons rooms and they got the X box one. I play 2k with Sal sometimes. I have an xbox live account the boys made me. 

Liar.

You upgrade at McDonalds every time you say super size me.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:12 PM, Larz said:

Look for games with single player campaign or vs the computer. Playing the little ****s online that cheat is a drag.

I use if more for netflix and bluray tbh.

I am waiting for a worthy air combat game.

Yeah I can't play online, I will get destroyed.

My 14 year old son just got a few games for the Nintendo Switch. I played the quick draw gun battle a few times, and won. Then I retired from the Nintendo Switch lol.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

My 14 year old son just got a few games for the Nintendo Switch. I played the quick draw gun battle a few times, and won. Then I retired from the Nintendo Switch lol.

How would you rate the switch? My 10 year old wants one for his bday which is a few months away but the thing looks incredibly unimpressive. No optical drive, no netflix app, more motion control nonsense etc. Are the games fun enough to warrant buying it or does it look like something that is played with for a few weekends and then sits in a media center collecting dust.

2 hours ago, jdeacon said:

How would you rate the switch? My 10 year old wants one for his bday which is a few months away but the thing looks incredibly unimpressive. No optical drive, no netflix app, more motion control nonsense etc. Are the games fun enough to warrant buying it or does it look like something that is played with for a few weekends and then sits in a media center collecting dust.

My son is super techie (shocker lol) and he loves it. I think he only has two games, Zelda and I forget the name of the other one. It is a bunch of really simple games. But they are fun, sword fight, quick draw, 1 inning baseball.

There is a safe cracking game using the motion control that is fun. You turn the knob and based on the feedback of the control you know when you are close. Same for the quick draw game. The first time I played it, I tried to cheat and just shoot quick. It knows the exact angle and shows that you don't win if your bullet hits the dirt.

About the no optical drive...the games are on little flash memory looking cards. But it is wild, they load instantly. The hand held tablet part of it has incredible resolution.

And there are ways to synch up multiple Switch's for multi player if a kid has friends who has it. The controllers have like 20 hour battery life too.

It is very expensive. That is my biggest criticism. And I think like other Nintendo stuff it really doesn't directly compete with the xbox and playstation. It is more of a family \ young kids kind of gaming machine. But there seems to be enough on just this one game to keep the family interested for a while. We didn't even buy any of the Mario games yet either.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

lol

the only games I play are madden 17, the original halo and forza5.  My son plays Halo 5, Star wars battlefront, madden17 and zheros.  

x-box one seems like the adult console, most games are geared towards on-line shooters.  

Welcome to the family.

Most of the games are FPS unfortunately, haven't found a Madden that's worth playing. I'm more I'm into NBA 2k and some action RPG, but honestly I haven't turned it on for a while. Recently bought a switch, it's cool, but I could've done something better with the money SMFH.

Fallout 4 is awesome, so is Witcher 3, but be prepared to have no life.

2 hours ago, rillo said:

Welcome to the family.

Most of the games are FPS unfortunately, haven't found a Madden that's worth playing. I'm more I'm into NBA 2k and some action RPG, but honestly I haven't turned it on for a while. Recently bought a switch, it's cool, but I could've done something better with the money SMFH.

Fallout 4 is awesome, so is Witcher 3, but be prepared to have no life.

I am having a hard time finding the time to play. Made the mistake of starting the other night at midnight. It was 3am before i knew it. With work in the morning, ouch. :)

Putting the 360 in the RV. Might need to do a video game camping weekend!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:31 AM, Maxman said:

Just get to the roof of the Central Los Santos Medical Center and snipe people. Loads of fun. Especially when you booby trap the helipad.

Archived