How the Jets turned their draft into Chris Berman at the HR derby

Gas2No99

How the Jets turned their draft into Chris Berman at the HR derby

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0504%2Fny_a_mac_

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made five trades in the draft, trailing only the Minnesota Vikings (seven) and San Francisco 49ers (six). Julio Cortez/AP Photo

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Trader Mike: The Jets' approach on the second and third days of the draft would've been terrific fodder for Chris Berman. They went back ... back ... back ... back, as general manager Mike Maccagnan traded back four times, a franchise record.

But what did they accomplish by wheeling and dealing?

They turned seven picks into nine players, but the overall value of the draft actually decreased. Using the values from a standard trade chart, their original seven picks counted as 2,478.4 points. When the draft dust settled, they had nine selections and 2,429.5 value points -- a drop of 48.9. That may not sound like much, but it's the equivalent of a fourth-rounder, based on the chart.

One caveat: Maccagnan acquired a 2018 fifth-rounder by dealing one pick, but the Jets still ended up in the red even with that 27.4-point total factored into the equation.

All told, the Jets made five trades, trailing only the Minnesota Vikings(seven) and San Francisco 49ers (six). The three teams accounted for nearly half the 38 trades.

Maccagnan acknowledged "you roll the dice a little bit when you move back, but there were situations where we felt there would still be some players that we potentially could get (while trading down)." He liked the way it turned out.

Look, here's the bottom line: If the draft produces a handful of good players, no one will remember the points. The Jets believe they landed at least four future starters -- safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye and wide receiver ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. If they're right, it'll be their best draft in a long time.

2. Different strokes, different folks: We've seen a contrast in styles from the last three general managers. Clearly, Maccagnan likes stockpiling late-round selections. Mike Tannenbaum (2006-2012) was philosophically opposed to that approach. He traded away late-round picks because he felt they didn't have much value. During one four-year stretch under Tannenbaum, the Jets had only 17 picks.

And then there was John Idzik (2013-2014). He made one of the biggest trades in franchise history (Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers), but no one ever called him Trader John. With 12 picks in 2014 -- a.k.a the Idzik 12 -- he didn't make a single trade during the draft. He effectively sat on his hands and made a lot of bad picks.

3. The what-if scenario: Safety Jamal Adams was a no-brainer once he fell to the sixth pick. As one opposing scout told me, "It was a freaking gift from the football gods." But what if he was off the board?

From what I understand, tight end O.J. Howard would've been the next choice. He wound up falling to the Bucs at 19. The Jets were high on running back Leonard Fournette and he would've drawn serious consideration if he had been available. As for the quarterbacks, they felt the prospect with the greatest upside was Patrick Mahomes, who went 10th to the Kansas City Chiefs.

4. Stacking the D: Even though it's just coincidental, it's interesting to note that each first-round pick of the Maccagnan-Todd Bowles regime represents one of the three levels on defense -- defensive line (Leonard Williams), linebacker (Darron Lee) and secondary (Adams). Bowles can't say his GM isn't taking care of him. Maybe one of these years they'll get around to picking an offensive player. They haven't done it since 2009 (Mark Sanchez), the longest streak in the league.

They doubled down on safeties, taking Maye in the second round. In case you're wondering, the last team to pick two safeties in the first two rounds was the New England Patriots in 2009 -- Darius Butler and Patrick Chung. They were both chosen in the second round.

5. Maye day: I spoke to one team that rated Maye as a first-round player, but one minor concern came up in their homework on him.

"He had some issues with being reliable and on time," an NFC scout said.

Uh, oh. We all know that's a touchy subject for the Jets.

The University of Florida football staff spoke glowingly of Maye, according to the scout, adding that the issues occurred primarily with the training staff.

6. Speed kills (sometimes): Some teams are slaves to the stopwatch when scouting players, especially wide receivers. The Jets aren't. The 40 times for Stewart and Hansen (4.49 and 4.53) ranked 18th and 27th out of 58 receivers at the scouting combine, respectively. They're not slow by any means, but they're not blazers, either.

The Jets liked them because their traits (toughness, route running, sure hands) should translate well into their West Coast system. I've seen Stewart on tape; he reminds me of Jerricho Cotchery, but slightly faster.

7. Late-round gem? With their final pick, the Jets selected wide receiver-turned-cornerback Derrick Jones, whom Bowles described as a developmental player. One AFC scout raved about Jones, saying, "Definitely worth a shot. The kid has talent. I think they may have gotten a steal. He's 6-foot-2 with 32-inch arms. I wish we had taken him."

The same scout raved about fifth-round pick Dylan Donahue out of West Georgia, a Division II school. The scout doesn't think Donahue (6-foot-3, 248 pounds) doesn't have the athleticism to make the conversion to every-down linebacker in a 3-4 front, but he predicted a career on special teams.

"He's a bigger version of Larry Izzo," said the scout, referring to the former special-teams great for the Patriots. "I wouldn't be surprised if he's mentioned someday as special-teams player of the year."

The Jets could definitely use some help in that department.

8. On the Marks: The Jets have signed one of the most coveted undrafted free agents, Washington State wide receiver Gabe Marks. He's the Pac-12 record holder for career receptions (316), but wasn't among the 253 players selected. Why not? His 40 time (4.56) wasn't great and he's only 5-foot-11, 189 pounds. He also played in a wide-open spread offense. It's interesting that he chose the Jets, who have a lot of young receivers.

9. Following the crowd: Maccagnan's tendencies in this draft fell in line with the rest of the NFL, which is to say he picked SEC players (four) and defensive backs (four). League-wide, a record 57 defensive backs were drafted. The SEC led all conferences (again) with 53 selections.

10. Pryor restraint: The Jets haven't said if they'll exercise Calvin Pryor's fifth-year option -- the deadline is Wednesday -- but the answer seems obvious after drafting two safeties.

Best and riskiest moves for every team's 2017 NFL draft class

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

New York Jets

Best move: Easy call: Safety Jamal Adams, chosen sixth overall. Wisely, the Jets resisted the temptation to trade down and took one of the premier players in the draft. Adams should be a Day 1 starter, and -- write this down -- he will eventually be the leader of the defense. He upgrades the Jets' secondary and the locker room. Sometimes you get lucky; few people thought he’d still be available at No. 6.

Riskiest move: General manager Mike Maccagnan traded back a franchise-record four times, which resulted in six picks in the fifth and sixth rounds. (He also dealt one pick for a 2018 fifth-rounder.) His new nickname: Mike Baccagnan. The question: Why? This was a deep draft, with a lot of talent in the third and fourth rounds. He traded out of the sweet spot, failing to add a much-needed cornerback until a couple of fliers in the sixth round. -- Rich Cimini

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Best and riskiest moves for every team's 2017 NFL draft class

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

New York Jets

Best move: Easy call: Safety Jamal Adams, chosen sixth overall. Wisely, the Jets resisted the temptation to trade down and took one of the premier players in the draft. Adams should be a Day 1 starter, and -- write this down -- he will eventually be the leader of the defense. He upgrades the Jets' secondary and the locker room. Sometimes you get lucky; few people thought he’d still be available at No. 6.

Riskiest move: General manager Mike Maccagnan traded back a franchise-record four times, which resulted in six picks in the fifth and sixth rounds. (He also dealt one pick for a 2018 fifth-rounder.) His new nickname: Mike Baccagnan. The question: Why? This was a deep draft, with a lot of talent in the third and fourth rounds. He traded out of the sweet spot, failing to add a much-needed cornerback until a couple of fliers in the sixth round. -- Rich Cimini

Looks like the Jets desire to improve ST. This was a decent draft for the Jets with the selections they made

8 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Looks like the Jets desire to improve ST. This was a decent draft for the Jets with the selections they made

Every single pick they made can, and will, most likely be ST contributors -  unless Adams & Maye are FULL time starters. The players drafted rounds 3-6 are all self-made w/ chips on their shoulders and have something to prove: too small, injured, tweener, dropped in draft, weak competition, etc., or in Stewart's case, just a Hard-A$$ competitor.

ST will be improved with this year's meat & potatoes type of draft class. Consisting of HUNGRY late rounders who will sacrifice all to stay in the league and to earn a 2nd NFL contract.

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Every single pick they made can, and will, most likely be ST contributors -  unless Adams & Maye are FULL time starters. The players drafted rounds 3-6 are all self-made w/ chips on their shoulders and have something to prove: too small, injured, tweener, dropped in draft, weak competition, etc., or in Stewart's case, just a Hard-A$$ competitor.

ST will be improved with this year's meat & potatoes type of draft class. Consisting of HUNGRY late rounders who will sacrifice all to stay in the league and to earn a 2nd NFL contract.

ST alone lost games last year.  Anything to help that is good.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

ST alone lost games last year.  Anything to help that is good.

True. It's especially hurt us against division rivals Miami & Buffalo the past few years in key moments.

27 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Hopefully we can shorten the field for the QB too. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watching Mac trade away the valuable picks for meaningless picks was awesome.  Tons of fun.  

You're not too way off from how I originally felt after the draft.

I agree that there were some players I was REALLY distressed over having passed on, BUT if you buy the argument that the current Jets roster is completely devoid of talent at EVERY POSTION, then that implies there are NO meaningless picks and you can NOT criticize a draft where 7 picks resulted in 9 players w/possibly 3-4 (Adams, Maye, Stewart, Leggett) as starters. Simple math.

I agree the QUALITY may not be as good, but IF the Jets are swiss-cheese, then QUANTITY was a higher priority than QUALITY at that late stage of the draft. NOTICE we did not trade our first 2 picks and started moonwalking in the 3rd where the REAL VALUE of the draft was and where Mac KNEW he could acquire more picks in that portion of the draft.

WE have also seen enough of Mac to know that he SEEMS to group players in bunches and he has NO qualms about moving back 20+spots if he thinks they are all congruent enough and he can acquire more picks for what in the end is . . . . A CRAPSHOOT!

There is NO SUCH THING as "valuable picks for meaningless picks" because one team's situation is different than another's. If this team is AS BAD AS ALL proclaim it to be in '17, then EVERY pick is valuable.

Valuable Top 10 picks: Rolando McClain, JJ Stokes, Dee Miliner, Ryan Leaf, Chris Caliborne, Tyson Alualu, Brandon Graham, Ereck Flowers

Meaningless late round picks: Steven Smith WR, Terrell Davis, Mnsr. Brady, Richard Sherman, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd.etc. 

You get the picture . . . .

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watching Mac trade away the valuable picks for meaningless picks was awesome.  Tons of fun.  

You're my Gator go-to guy.  What do you think of Maye?  If you posted elsewhere, I must have missed it.  Sorry.

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You're not too way off from how I originally felt after the draft.

I agree that there were some players I was REALLY distressed over having passed on, BUT if you buy the argument that the current Jets roster is completely devoid of talent at EVERY POSTION, then that implies there are NO meaningless picks and you can NOT criticize a draft where 7 picks resulted in 9 players w/possibly 3-4 (Adams, Maye, Stewart, Leggett) as starters. Simple math.

I agree the QUALITY may not be as good, but IF the Jets are swiss-cheese, then QUANTITY was a higher priority than QUALITY at that late stage of the draft. NOTICE we did not trade our first 2 picks and started moonwalking in the 3rd where the REAL VALUE of the draft was and where Mac KNEW he could acquire more picks in that portion of the draft.

WE have also seen enough of Mac to know that he SEEMS to group players in bunches and he has NO qualms about moving back 20+spots if he thinks they are all congruent enough and he can acquire more picks for what in the end is . . . . A CRAPSHOOT!

There is NO SUCH THING as "valuable picks for meaningless picks" because one team's situation is different than another's. If this team is AS BAD AS ALL proclaim it to be in '17, then EVERY pick is valuable.

Valuable Top 10 picks: Rolando McClain, JJ Stokes, Dee Miliner, Ryan Leaf, Chris Caliborne, Tyson Alualu, Brandon Graham, Ereck Flowers

Meaningless late round picks: Steven Smith WR, Terrell Davis, Mnsr. Brady, Richard Sherman, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd.etc. 

You get the picture . . . .

I gave this analogy the other day and it's the best I have.  If Mac was playing roulette, he was going big betting on the numbers and not going safe by betting on black or red/evens or odds.  I understand the draft is largely a crap shoot but if you just look at the percentages, Mac is playing the long odds when he had a chance to play the better odds. 1-3 is where you have good odds to find players, 4-7 is where you get lucky. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I gave this analogy the other day and it's the best I have.  If Mac was playing roulette, he was going big betting on the numbers and not going safe by betting on black or red/evens or odds.  I understand the draft is largely a crap shoot but if you just look at the percentages, Mac is playing the long odds when he had a chance to play the better odds. 1-3 is where you have good odds to find players, 4-7 is where you get lucky. 

And he made selections in 1-3, the comp pick he traded was no different than a 4th in how later it was in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

With all due respect, speculative and subjective posturing to validate your position. I don't see it that way AT ALL and that's because the HUMAN FACTOR: gritty something to prove Football players (look at their back stories, history, and their individual road to get drafted) plays a more pertinent role in assuring your desired "odds" rather than a lil' white ball falling on a carousel. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would agree with you, but in his first two drafts, he has been able to find value late in drafts.

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hope you're trolling, because this is pretty dumb. I don't see any major dropoff in players we ended up with, versus players selected in the range of our original picks, and to have added more draft capital late is a testament to competency of the scouting department he built. Plus, if you feel everytihng after R3 is a gamble, then adding more picks improves odds in that context. So, why whine about better odds?

TRADE NO. 1 

Pick 70 (Round 3) to Vikings for 79 (Round 3) and 160 (Round 5) 

End result: Jets picked WR ArDarius Stewart at 79, traded 160 

TRADE NO. 2 

Pick 107 (Round 3) to Buccaneers for 125 (Round 4) and 204 (Round 6) 

End result: Jets picked CB Derrick Jones at 204, traded 125 

TRADE NO. 3 

Pick 125 (Round 4) to Rams for 141 (Round 4) and 197 (Round 6) 

End result: Jets picked WR Chad Hansen at 141, CB Jeremy Clark at 197 

TRADE NO. 4 

Picks 160 (Round 5) and 224 (Round 7) to Browns for 181 (Round 5) and 188 (Round 6) 

End result: Jets picked OLB Dylan Donahue 181, RB Elijah McGuire at 188

TRADE NO. 5 

Pick 191 (Round 6) to Cowboys for fifth-rounder next year 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You're my Gator go-to guy.  What do you think of Maye?  If you posted elsewhere, I must have missed it.  Sorry.

I've given my take a few times but I'll say it again.  Maye is a solid player.  He's great playing what's in front of him.  Explosive when's going down hill. He can hit, force fumbles and he's got good instincts to put him in position to make plays on the ball.  That said, he gets beat a lot and is not a rangy, tracking type of S.  He's a faster version of Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles, hopefully he's better. 

I think he breaks the streak of 2nd round busts.  As a die hard Gator fan who hasnt missed a game in years, I never watched Maye and thought...my god, I want this dude in Green and White (which is basically how I formulate 90% of my draft opinions - haha).  This year I was thinking of the guys who were coming it out...I wanted Tabor, Wilson and Brantley.  I figured Maye would get drafted and probably be a very solid player, never thought he was a 2nd round pick, never thought he'd be drafted before Wilson and Tabor. As a comparison, when I watched Keanu Neal side by side with Maye, it was clear Neal was the better player and looked to be better suited for the NFL.  Maye is really more of that Deon Bucannon/Dieon Jones type which seems very redundant to what we have on the roster already.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

And he made selections in 1-3, the comp pick he traded was no different than a 4th in how later it was in the draft. 

2 3rd round picks are better than 1.  

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hope you're trolling, because this is pretty dumb. I don't see any major dropoff in players we ended up with, versus players selected in the range of our original picks, and to have added more draft capital late is a testament to competency of the scouting department he built. Plus, if you feel everytihng after R3 is a gamble, then adding more picks improves odds in that context. So, why whine about better odds?

TRADE NO. 1 

TRADE NO. 2 

TRADE NO. 3 

TRADE NO. 4 

Picks 160 (Round 5) and 224 (Round 7) to Browns for 181 (Round 5) and 188 (Round 6) 

TRADE NO. 5 

I'm not trolling.  The drop out of the 3rd was stupid, especially for the value return.  Did you read the article?  Mac got fleeced .  There were at least 20-25 players I would have preferred to Chad Hanson that went in that time frame. 

If anyone that was drafted from the 5th round on actually contribute let alone make the roster, I'll be surprised. 

For a team with one of the worst rosters in the league, giving up 3rd round picks for nothing is stupid. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've given my take a few times but I'll say it again.  Maye is a solid player.  He's great playing what's in front of him.  Explosive when's going down hill. He can hit, force fumbles and he's got good instincts to put him in position to make plays on the ball.  That said, he gets beat a lot and is not a rangy, tracking type of S.  He's a faster version of Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles, hopefully he's better. 

I think he breaks the streak of 2nd round busts.  As a die hard Gator fan who hasnt missed a game in years, I never watched Maye and thought...my god, I want this dude in Green and White (which is basically how I formulate 90% of my draft opinions - haha).  This year I was thinking of the guys who were coming it out...I wanted Tabor, Wilson and Brantley.  I figured Maye would get drafted and probably be a very solid player, never thought he was a 2nd round pick, never thought he'd be drafted before Wilson and Tabor. As a comparison, when I watched Keanu Neal side by side with Maye, it was clear Neal was the better player and looked to be better suited for the NFL.  Maye is really more of that Deon Bucannon/Dieon Jones type which seems very redundant to what we have on the roster already.

If he's that good, we got a very good player. The defense rests.:D 

Just now, JiF said:

I'm not making claims that he'll be that good but if I was drafting Maye, I would have that type of a role in mind for him.

I thought that's what Bowles would do with Pryor. i just don't think the jets will give up on him yet.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Bottom line: Mac gave Bowles what he wanted

Bowles has 4 top 40 picks on D, 1 on ever level.  In addition to inheriting Mo Wilk and Sheldon.  No excuses now.   The D better be night and day better than it was last year.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

TRADE NO. 1 

TRADE NO. 2 

TRADE NO. 3 

TRADE NO. 4 

TRADE NO. 5 

So the net... 

traded:

received:

• #79 (Stewart)
  • #141 (Hansen)
  • #181 (Donohue)
  • #188 (McGuire)
  • #197 (Clark)
  • #204 (D.Jones)
  • Cowboys' 2018 5th rounder

Not sure how much the Jets subscribe to analytics, but most suggest that the old chart is very outdated for whatever it's worth. Numbers suggest quantity is key when it comes to the draft because it's so unpredictable. If that's the belief then the trades make a lot more sense.

Also quite possible the Jets viewed the draft differently than most from a tier standpoint. Not arguing they're right, but again - would explain their thought process.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So the net... 

traded:

received:

• #79 (Stewart)
  • #141 (Hansen)
  • #181 (Donohue)
  • #188 (McGuire)
  • #197 (Clark)
  • #204 (D.Jones)
  • Cowboys' 2018 5th rounder

I haven't had time to figure it all out - I just copy/pasted.

I think you can also sort of figure in the Shell move - since we traded a pick from this draft to get him last year.

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

The last pick in round 3, as a comp pick, is no different than an early 4th. You have to stop looking at it as a "____ rounder" and actually count off where the pick is in terms of how many players deep.

Pick 107 (the 3rd round comp) for pick 125 (the pick we got from Tampa originally) isn't a big deal. It's 18 spots. Both over 100 players into the draft. Your argument about giving up premium draft spots for bad ones is fair, but what we did this past weekend shouldn't be classified as an example of it. 

You're wrong, or at the very least, exaggerating like a woman.

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not trolling.  The drop out of the 3rd was stupid, especially for the value return.  Did you read the article?  Mac got fleeced .  There were at least 20-25 players I would have preferred to Chad Hanson that went in that time frame. 

If anyone that was drafted from the 5th round on actually contribute let alone make the roster, I'll be surprised. 

For a team with one of the worst rosters in the league, giving up 3rd round picks for nothing is stupid. 

You would have preferred.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Dammit.

I haven't been on JN enough over the weekend to figure out how the typical polarization exercise went down - so I don't know which narrative you're subscribing to, and as such don't know the context for this "dammit". LOL 

Explain?

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I haven't been on JN enough over the weekend to figure out how the typical polarization exercise went down - so I don't know which narrative you're subscribing to, and as such don't know the context for this "dammit". LOL 

Explain?

Oh, calm yourself.

Dammit was that I thought my list summary was a complete summary.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh, calm yourself.

Dammit was that I thought my list summary was a complete summary.

I am calm - I don't know what list you're even talking about. Like I said, I just bouncing in and peppering in comments after mostly ignoring the weekend hissy fits. I truly don't know where most folks stand. I'm also being selecting about which false narratives I take a hot dump on. JIF's was a good place to start. It had corn in it.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I am calm - I don't know what list you're even talking about. Like I said, I just bouncing in and peppering in comments after mostly ignoring the weekend hissy fits. I truly don't know where most folks stand. I'm also being selecting about which false narratives I take a hot dump on. JIF's was a good place to start. It had corn in it.

uh...the list of draft picks I quoted, which I attempted to fully summarize?

Mmm...fecal corn.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

uh...the list of draft picks I quoted, which I attempted to fully summarize?

Mmm...fecal corn.

oh, hahaha... gotcha, i thought you were referencing a list  you may have posted elsewhere on the site, maybe another thread, in one of your longer diatribes... you know, since you think everyone reads everything you write with baited breath... :P

Archived