Bill Polian and Jeff Saturday take on the Jets "tanking"

Marshmello

On 6/14/2017 at 6:25 PM, johnnysd said:

Why do people keep saying this? Macc HAD TO spend the money. And he structured it intentionally in a way he could escape after 2 years which is what he is doing. The signings were almost entirely tied to the CBA

Remember that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Harry gives Lloyd their last $14 and Lloyd buys the big cowboy hat and the paddleball that was awesome

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, thadude said:

Just $18 million in dead cap room (2nd most in the NFL)

Yeah, that sucks. Of course considering the amount of cuts it isn't too bad. Cutting a lot of vets accelerates a lot of money regardless of GM. I guess a better negotiator could have spent less money, but the player agents get paid to play too. I'd like to see if these cuts cost anything the following year. 

On 6/14/2017 at 3:21 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

I am a Maccagnan supporter as you know. I went on record of saying that he needed to nail this draft or his job was in danger. And it looks like (right now) that he did indeed nail this draft.

You are going to have people who just hate MAccagnan whatever he does. Sperm, dBatesman etc. They just dont like him at all

How you could reach that conclusion before even a single down of football has been played is frankly absurd. Do know we still have holes at every important spot on both sides of the ball-CB, edge rusher, primo QB, LT, RB. Do know he is going to pay McCown $6 million to...help me out here...anyone? Bollix up the tank? Take snaps away  from the young QBs? Give the moron HC an excuse to not play the young QBs? He or someone like him could have been so signed the day after the draft for pennies. 

On 6/14/2017 at 3:21 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

I am a Maccagnan supporter as you know. I went on record of saying that he needed to nail this draft or his job was in danger. And it looks like (right now) that he did indeed nail this draft.

You are going to have people who just hate MAccagnan whatever he does. Sperm, dBatesman etc. They just dont like him at all

Thadude is going to be hurt that you left him off the list given his avatar.

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

How you could reach that conclusion before even a single down of football has been played is frankly absurd. Do know we still have holes at every important spot on both sides of the ball-CB, edge rusher, primo QB, LT, RB. Do know he is going to pay McCown $6 million to...help me out here...anyone? Bollix up the tank? Take snaps away  from the young QBs? Give the moron HC an excuse to not play the young QBs? He or someone like him could have been so signed the day after the draft for pennies. 

That's the thing -- we are not purposely trying to tank.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:28 AM, T0mShane said:

Pretty fun how Polian defends the veteran cuts because they weren't playing up to their salaries, but doesn't point out that, except for Mangold, the ink was still wet on each of the contracts that Mike Maccagnan handed them in the first place.

This goes back to that anonymous quote regarding the Maccagnan hire, where someone who knew him said the job was going to be too big for him. I think that's really, really been a spot on analysis as it's played out. He runs the team like he can't see past his nose.

So he is stupid for signing them... but stupid for cutting them too??

Cutting them is the exact opposite of only seeing past his nose... you aren't seeing past your eyeballs.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I didn't sour on Macagnan until this offseason.  How could anyone defend this guy after this cluster is beyond me

Belichick cuts Decker, Marshall and Harris. Every time. Every single damn time.

I am not saying Mac is the man but his moves this offseason have been OK and he also assembled a team with the best passing year since 98' and just tried to keep it together... who could blame him really... must have been a tough call in the moment with Hack/Petty/geno...

On 6/14/2017 at 3:37 PM, #27TheDominator said:

How are you judging it as looking like he nailed this draft?  I mean if the mandate is starters, he did lower the bar by cutting the starters at each position of his top 4 picks.  

After 1-2 years (if it even took that long):

• Stephen Hill was a starter.
  • Quinton Coples was a starter.
  • Dee Milliner was a starter.
  • Geno Smith was a starter.
  • Antonio Allen was a starter (for >50% of his games).
  • Demario Davis was a starter.
  • Oday Aboushi was a starter.
  • Tommy Bohanon was a starter when they opened with a FB on the field (he was 1st string anyway), and John Conner before him.
  • Calvin Pryor was a starter...

Also, these guys were great draft value (the word "steal" was thrown around with regard to most or all at one time): Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight, Kenrick Ellis, Josh Bush...

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

After 1-2 years (if it even took that long):

• Stephen Hill was a starter.
  • Quinton Coples was a starter.
  • Dee Milliner was a starter.
  • Geno Smith was a starter.
  • Antonio Allen was a starter (for >50% of his games).
  • Demario Davis was a starter.
  • Oday Aboushi was a starter.
  • Tommy Bohanon was a starter when they opened with a FB on the field (he was 1st string anyway), and John Conner before him.
  • Calvin Pryor was a starter...

Also, these guys were great draft value (the word "steal" was thrown around with regard to most or all at one time): Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight, Kenrick Ellis, Josh Bush...

Bring back Mangini as GM

21 hours ago, thadude said:

Bring back Mangini as GM

I am so ******* sick of hearing this.  Mangini was a douche.  It was nice that he prioritized character and team captains, but he was no player personnel savant.  The one player I remember him having input on was Schlegel.  Tannenbaum made those picks, otherwise, you are crediting Mangini with all those ******* trades and Gholston. I don't want that ******* wannabe Belichick back under any circumstances.

On 6/17/2017 at 7:46 PM, ECURB said:

Belichick cuts Decker, Marshall and Harris. Every time. Every single damn time.

I am not saying Mac is the man but his moves this offseason have been OK and he also assembled a team with the best passing year since 98' and just tried to keep it together... who could blame him really... must have been a tough call in the moment with Hack/Petty/geno...

when woody hired mccags the directive seems to have been, be competitive right away.  mccags did that.

the next year, the directive was the same, try to build on the 10-6 season and make the playoffs.  it predictably failed.  

this offseason, woody finally realized he needs to start from scratch.  now mccags is doing what he always wanted to do.  his strategy has always been dictated by woody, the difference is now the gm has much more control and we're seeing what a competent gm for other teams would do without meddling owners.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am so ******* sick of hearing this.  Mangini was a douche.  It was nice that he prioritized character and team captains, but he was no player personnel savant.  The one player I remember him having input on was Schlegel.  Tannenbaum made those picks, otherwise, you are crediting Mangini with all those ******* trades and Gholston. I don't want that ******* wannabe Belichick back under any circumstances.

So keep Macagnan even though 95% of his draft picks and signings are Schlegel-esque in quality?  

1 minute ago, thadude said:

So keep Macagnan even though 95% of his draft picks and signings are Schlegel-esque in quality?  

Right.  Exactly.  Anybody that says anything derogatory about Maccagnan is saying Idzik was better.  Anyone against bringing Mangini in and giving him his first player personnel job as Jets GM wants to keep Maccagnan indefinitely. 

Archived