Seferian-Jenkins in good position to rebuild his career with Jets

Gas2No99

Seferian-Jenkins in good position to rebuild his career with Jets

ByJohn McMullen

AP_16351749079802.jpgAustin Seferian-Jenkins is familiar with hype.

The lanky 6-foot-6 tight end was once a high second-round pick with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when it looked as though Jameis Winston would have a field day throwing to a trio of athletic, king-sized receivers with 6-5 Vincent Jackson and 6-5 Mike Evans.

Seferian-Jenkins never lived up to the lofty expectations in Central Florida, however, something the now 24-year-old is at least partially blaming on alcohol.

Whatever was at the core of ASJ’s issues with the Buccaneers, it ended with terrible optics when Dirk Koetter kicked him out of one practice before Jason Licht eventually ended the experiment after a DUI arrest.

His physical gifts guaranteed Seferian-Jenkins additional chances, and it didn’t take long for the New York Jets to come calling. The problem, though, was that if the same guy showed up in North Jersey, nothing was going to change other than the uniform.

For now, though Seferian-Jenkins is one of the few bright spots in the dark clouds that have settled over Florham Park. Just about everyone has correctly assessed that the Jets are planning on tanking in 2017 in an effort to finally find the answer at the quarterback position in the 2018 draft.

In the meantime, veteran journeyman Josh McCown is expected to hold off raw second-year prospect Christian Hackenberg in the Jets’ QB competition this summer.

Whether the name is McCown, Hackenberg — or even Bryce Petty for that matter — that obviously doesn’t bode well for any of the receivers catching the football. They are at the mercy of the delivery mechanism.

Fantasy football numbers are far down on Seferian-Jenkins’ list of goals, however. The University of Washington product is first trying to prove he’s taking his profession seriously. The early exit polls have looked great.

ASJ has quit drinking, lost 30 pounds, and wowed those observing the team’s offseason work… but let’s face it: 6-foot-6, 250-pound athletic men tend to look really impressive in shorts and a T-shirt. There’s still plenty left to prove when the pads go on this summer.

New York Jets tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (88) runs against San Francisco 49ers strong safety Jaquiski Tartt (29) during the second half of an NFL football game in Santa Clara, Calif., Sunday, Dec. 11, 2016. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

I feel like a different person on and off the field,” SeferianJenkins told the Jets’ website. “The weight loss has been tremendous and I’m just really happy I have the opportunity to show the Jets taking a chance on me is going to pay off. I’m just trying to work every single day.

The roadblocks remain obvious. They start with a league-mandated two-game suspension for the DUI arrest. From there, it doesn’t matter who wins the Jets’ QB derby, it won’t be Winston throwing ASJ the football.

In many ways, though, having a 6-6 player with the catching radius of Seferian-Jenkins in the middle of the field projects as a security blanket for any of the Jets’ signal-callers. The now 38-year-old McCown doesn’t have the arm strength to place the football outside the numbers consistently, while younger QBs almost always default to inside throws when they see the big target.

With both Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker leaving in the offseason, New York is painfully thin when it comes to accomplished pass catchers. Its perceived No. 1 receiver, Quincy Enunwa, has just 80 career receptions. That paces a unit which also includes unproven options Robby Anderson and Marquess Wilson. At tight end, it is ASJ and fifth-round pick Jordan Leggett.

Somebody has to get the football. Other than Enunwa, Sefarian-Jenkins seems the most likely option, especially when you consider that new offensive coordinator John Morton is intent on scaling back on Chan Gailey’s propensity to use four receivers.

“Coach Morton has definitely made an emphasis to use the tight end,” Sefarian-Jenkins said. “It’s on the tight end room to make sure we do the best we can to take full advantage of those opportunities.”

Second chances for troubled players are usually handed out with plenty of conditions in the NFL. In Seferian-Jenkins’ case, he’s in North Jersey on the ground floor of a complete rebuild. While all the losing that’s sure to come this fall will not be much fun, the ability to prove he’s a good football player will be there for him.

-John McMullen is a national football columnist for FanRagSports.com

Sounds like a bunch of fluff. 10 catches in 7 games doesn't sound like a changed man. Sounds more like the same old ASJ. Alcohol doesn't make you a total garbage. Look at Gronk. All he does is pretty much drink after every game. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Sounds like a bunch of fluff. 10 catches in 7 games doesn't sound like a changed man. Sounds more like the same old ASJ. Alcohol doesn't make you a total garbage. Look at Gronk. All he does is pretty much drink after every game. 

To be fair he came in late and we basically didn't use TE's last year. Its better to judge his supposed comeback off his returns from this year where he's supposedly gotten sober and is being given an honest shot at being a major contributor to the offense.

It would be nice if ASJ magically transformed into a reliable TE for the Jets, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Good things like this just don't happen to the Jets. Either that or hr DOES transform into an all pro and contributes greatly to a 6 win season, knocking the Jets out of the top QB sweepstakes in 2018. The football Gods always find a way to do their thing when it comes to the Jets.

This would be huge and great if it happens, and I really believe the young man will try his best to behave and become a fully functional TE for us. My only worry is the moron does not try to play ASJ at CB or DE.

Archived