Josh Rosen: Ceiling/Floor

Patriot Killa

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Kirk Cousins all over again. 

Again - not saying he's trash, but he and the Falcons have only really be GOOD twice... both times on the heels of an extremely effective running game. In between are long stretches of "meh"... not bad, effective. he can execute, but moments of brilliance have been flashy. That's just the way i see it  

I hear you and it's why I prefaced, I'm not a Matt Ryan fan and I think Rosen is a Matt Ryan with balls.  I'm just not sure what more you expect at this point.  I'd assume as a Jets fan, your bar is low.  Just give me someone that produces like Matt Ryan or Kirk Cousins and I'd call it a roaring success.  The odds of us or any other team for that matter, hitting on the next Peyton or Brady are basically zero to none.  If we can get a league MVP/4k+20 guy for the next 15 years, I'd be pretty happy. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JiF said:

I hear you and it's why I prefaced, I'm not a Matt Ryan fan and I think Rosen is a Matt Ryan with balls.  I'm just not sure what more you expect at this point.  I'd assume as a Jets fan, your bar is low.  Just give me someone that produces like Matt Ryan or Kirk Cousins and I'd call it a roaring success.  The odds of us or any other team for that matter, hitting on the next Peyton or Brady are basically zero to none.  If we can get a league MVP/4k+20 guy for the next 15 years, I'd be pretty happy. 

i understand. I'd accept a matt ryan of course. But I aspire for more. When Matt Ryan's your QB, you're blessed with the feeling comfort that he can do the job... but others have to as well. A manning, or brees, etc can overcome a lot adversity to win a game. Ryan isn't know for overcoming adversity. 

Mayfield. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i understand. I'd accept a matt ryan of course. But I aspire for more. When Matt Ryan's your QB, you're blessed with the feeling comfort that he can do the job... but others have to as well. A manning, or brees, etc can overcome a lot adversity to win a game. Ryan isn't know for overcoming adversity. 

Mayfield. 

Hence, Matt Ryan with balls.

I'd be fine with Mayfield at this point.  While I fear he's the quintessential system college QB from the Big 12 that doesnt translate and feel that Rosen is a much safer pick (Matt Ryan with balls), you can at least justify Mayfield and be excited about the entertainment he'll provide.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Kirk Cousins all over again. 

Again - not saying he's trash, but he and the Falcons have only really be GOOD twice... both times on the heels of an extremely effective running game. In between are long stretches of "meh"... not bad, effective. he can execute, but moments of brilliance have been flashy. That's just the way i see it  

I can’t take Matt Ryan at face value because he’s had some exceptional talent to work with, but as that erodes, he falters. Over the course of his career, he’s amassed some great statistics by throwing to at least Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, and Julio Jones - sometimes two or three of them on the same teams. He’s also had some highly effective help from the run game. Yet, he’s struggled to make the big plays to put his teams over the top, and we’ve seen years when there was attrition on the talent surrounding him or the talent was injured, and he hasn’t been able to be ‘the tide that raises all boats’.

I get JiF’s point about us nutting over a QB like him on the Jets, but I’d also need assurances that we’re getting the same HoF or all-pro talents that he’s played with along with coaches like Kyle Shannahan. 

I’m hoping that we get Rosen, and I’m hoping he can be the type of QB that can overcome some of the issues that have plagued Matt Ryan’s career.

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

What justification do you have for saying football isnt Rosen's number one priority.  Its an 80+hour per week job, just because when he goes home at night he might want to read a book or in the offseason he chooses to do charity work instead of going hunting does that mean he doesnt care about football.

Rosen is smart and all he has done is say that he understands that his football life is finite and he hopes to be able to do something impactful with his life when he is done playing.  The coach who was quoted as saying he is worried that rosen could tweet about politics during a playoff race is an idiot.  You should tweet about something like that, because of the perception and how the media can turn it into something it isnt.  But to think your players dont leave the facility and have other thoughts running through their head is simply the same mindset that thinks because Rosen asks "why" a team sets a protection a certain way he is difficult.  He might just want to learn the intricacies of the position, which happens to be a good thing.

and your point is?  obviously i don't know the guy personally so i'm relying on what others have said.  i just get the sense that he maybe doesn't put football above everything else.  passion for the game is a huge part of the qb equation.

Archived