2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

nyjunc

It's almost that time of year already.  we saw 'Nova win in '16 then the Heels in '17, 'Nova reclaimed the crown in '18 and hopefully the Heels take it back in '19.  These 2 teams will meet for a "secret scrimmage" on 10/20 and soon  after that the regular exhibition games take place then it's on to the regular season. 

This should be a fun year, it will be weird w/o Berry and Pinson but hopefully the returning players and new players can step up the way the '17 team did after Johnson and Paige left. 

• 2 weeks later...

My boy Devontae Cacok (seen dunking in my avatar) was named to the Naismith Power Forward of the Year Watch List.  Also known as the Karl Malone Award. 

Only 2 other guys from mid-major schools are on the list. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-18/college-basketball-awards-20-power-forwards-named-karl

2019 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award Candidates

• Yoeli Childs, BYU
  • Zion Williamson, Duke
  • Juwan Morgan, Indiana
  • Dedric Lawson, Kansas
  • Dean Wade, Kansas St
  • Reid Travis, Kentucky
  • P.J. Washington, Kentucky
  • Jordan Murphy, Minnesota
  • Jordan Brown, Nevada
  • Luke Maye, North Carolina
  • Drew McDonald, Northern Kentucky
  • Chris Silva, South Carolina
  • Mike Daum, South Dakota State
  • Grant Williams, Tennessee
  • Devontae Cacok, UNCW
  • Bennie Boatwright, USC
  • Simisola Sh*ttu, Vanderbilt
  • Eric Paschall, Villanova
  • Noah Dickerson, Washington
  • Sagaba Konate, West Virginia

Cacok-PNR-2.gif

First AP Poll is out(we'll see what happens w/ Kansas and duke w/ this FI stuff.  Kansas looks like they were doing some shady things and I doubt Zion passed on all that KU/adidas money for the honor of playing at duke)

(###) Number of first place votes

Kansas (37)
Record: 31-8
PV Rank
Kentucky (19)
SEC
Record: 26-11
Gonzaga (1)
Record: 32-5
Duke (4)
ACC
Record: 29-8
Virginia (2)
ACC
Record: 31-3
Tennessee (1)
SEC
Record: 26-9
Record: 29-8
ACC
Villanova (1)
Record: 36-4
Record: 30-5
SEC
Record: 26-8
Record: 25-12
-
Record: 23-13
-
ACC
Record: 21-12
-
ACC
Record: 23-14
-
ACC
Record: 23-12
-
SEC
Record: 25-12
-
Record: 33-8
TCU
-
-
ACC
Record: 25-10
LSU
SEC
Record: 18-15
-
Record: 30-7
Record: 21-13
-

In a charity exhibition game to benefit Wilmington after Hurricane Florence, Clemson beat my Seahawks 78-67 in Trask Coliseum on Saturday evening.  UNCW had an 8-point lead at halftime, but Clemson switched to a zone and dominated the 2nd half with their superior guard play.

A very fun contest regardless.  Brad Brownell, who was the HC at UNCW from 2003-2006 and was either an assistant or HC for all 4 of our CAA Titles from 2000-2006, made his return to Trask and was greeted warmly.  I got to say hello and shake his hand after the contest.  That was cool.

I'll be the PA Announcer for all but 2 UNCW home games this year.  The guy who had the job, while I coordinated music, decided to sit this year out. 

College Bball is back!

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In a charity exhibition game to benefit Wilmington after Hurricane Florence, Clemson beat my Seahawks 78-67 in Trask Coliseum on Saturday evening.  UNCW had an 8-point lead at halftime, but Clemson switched to a zone and dominated the 2nd half with their superior guard play.

A very fun contest regardless.  Brad Brownell, who was the HC at UNCW from 2003-2006 and was either an assistant or HC for all 4 of our CAA Titles from 2000-2006, made his return to Trask and was greeted warmly.  I got to say hello and shake his hand after the contest.  That was cool.

I'll be the PA Announcer for all but 2 UNCW home games this year.  The guy who had the job, while I coordinated music, decided to sit this year out. 

College Bball is back!

After you optimistic for this season?  Are you and uncw fans happy with C.B.?

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

After you optimistic for this season?  Are you and uncw fans happy with C.B.?

I think we can finish anywhere from 2nd-6th in the CAA this year.  Our ceiling is high and we can win the CAA tournament.  Much of it depends on our 3-point shooting.  Clemson was doubling and tripling down on Cacok, and I imagine he'll see a ton of that in his Senior year.  So it's crucial we have outside shooting to break teams from doing that and open up the middle a little.

Our freshman PG, Kai Toews, is really friggin impressive.  Great court vision and passing.  He came in highly regarded and hasn't disappointed thus far.  He played for the Japanese National Team this Summer and was making some ridiculous passes to guys who didn't seem to be open. 

Our defense will be better, but that's not a hard bar to get over given we were one of the worst defensive teams in D-I last year.  I liked the intensity and athleticism on D this past Saturday. 

I'm optimistic and supportive of C.B.  Most of the UNCW fanbase feels the same way, I've gathered. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How is Zion Williamson 280+ pounds yet can play like a guard?  Insane.

I don't have a favorable opinion of Duke, but it's very nice whenever Kentucky gets destroyed.

This is the one time of year I root for UK.  Is Duke that good? Was UK overrated? We'll see. This was game one on Nov 6th.  They are always great this time of year but they are scary good last night.

The Heels were nowhere near as sharp but pulled away for a comfortable road win in the final 10 minutes.  Nice start and they are back on the road on Friday 

I'm just happy college basketball is back, it always helps me get over Jets disasters.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've literally never seen a college basketball player like Zion Williamson in my lifetime, and he might not even be their best player.  This is far different from their ordinary "great start". 

You may be right, I am concerned.  we'll see what happens

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Big game for my Seahawks tonight as we host Stanford. It’s rare to get a Power 5 team to come to our building. The last one was Wake Forest back in 2009.

Stanford enters the game as 2.5-point favorites.

I saw the score, was it a good game or not close throughout?

Kentucky struggled at home against Southern Illinois.  Kentucky just isn't good right now, they will get better as Cal teams always do but they aren't worthy of being anywhere near the top 10.  As great as duke played people were acting like they beat 2012 Kentucky that bad. It's very early, duke will be really good or maybe great but we cannot proclaim them off of one game in November.

The Heels are 2-0, they easily dispatched an overmatched Elon team on the road.  Stanford is in Chapel Hill on Monday and they have a couple more tuneups after that before the sched gets tougher.  I love this freshman class, they don't get the hype but by Jan-Feb they will be really good.  It's nice to have college basketball back w/ the way the Jets have played.

It was an ugly performance by the Seahawks. Cacok got in foul trouble early. When he went out we were up 19-11. The rest of the game we had no answer for Stanford’s length on both ends of the court.

UNCG up next at home on Tuesday. They’re even better than Stanford. 25 wins last season, beat NC State and a 4-point loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament. And they may be even better this year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was an ugly performance by the Seahawks. Cacok got in foul trouble early. When he went out we were up 19-11. The rest of the game we had no answer for Stanford’s length on both ends of the court.

UNCG up next at home on Tuesday. They’re even better than Stanford. 25 wins last season, beat NC State and a 4-point loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament. And they may be even better this year.

UNCG is good, they are led by former Tar Heel Wes Miller. He's doing a nice job over there.  Wes has a younger brother who is currently playing for the Heels.  Good luck.

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

UNCG is good, they are led by former Tar Heel Wes Miller. He's doing a nice job over there.  Wes has a younger brother who is currently playing for the Heels.  Good luck.

Yep.  McGrath was able to use his UNC connections to put together a helluva schedule this season, and next year too for that matter (home against UNC, road Stanford and UNCG, etc).  Now we just need to get some W's....

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

You don't have an innate dislike for Duke now, do you???

Of course I do(all good people do) but they are always great in November, they crushed UK but UK isn't very food right now then came back and struggled with army at home.  They will be good like they are every year, they have the most talent every year but to proclaim the season over and talk about them beating NBA teams is as silly as it gets.  

Maybe they turn out to be an all time great team? We'll see but it's way too early to crown them.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Of course I do(all good people do) but they are always great in November, they crushed UK but UK isn't very food right now then came back and struggled with army at home.  They will be good like they are every year, they have the most talent every year but to proclaim the season over and talk about them beating NBA teams is as silly as it gets.  

Maybe they turn out to be an all time great team? We'll see but it's way too early to crown them.

Agreed....nobody wins the NCCA title in November.

Best game I’ve seen from my Huskies in 4 years. Defense was coached up and played with high energy like they actually ******* meant it. Fought for boards like they were collecting them. Hit shots when necessary. 

Outside of the surprise, crazy, frentic title run with Shabazz, haven’t seen that kind of basketball out of Storrs since Jimmy Calhoun was on the sideline. 

'Nova lost at home to Furman the other night.  They lost a ton of talent, I think people just expected the train to keep rolling but they are a work in progress.  They will get better but they obviously don't have the look of a contender right now. 

Kentucky again struggles at home this time beating VMI by only 10 when they were favored by 34. I think UK will end up being really good but right now they are not.

One final tuneup for the Heels tonight before the sched gets tougher.  On Thursday they open a 2 game tourney(*although technically tonight's game is a part of it) vs. Texas and will face either Michigan State or UCLA in the following game depending upon who wins each game. 

Thanksgiving week is always a great week of CBB.  A ton of great tournaments and great non conf matchups.

Not that Nova should be losing to them, especially at home, but that Furman loss won't look all that terrible by the end of the season.  The Paladins are pretty legit this year.  They handed Loyola-Chicago their only loss so far, in a true road game for Furman no less. 

Furman was only picked to finish 4th in the Southern Conference so thus far their start is a big surprise, but they're looking like the top contender to UNCG in that league now. 

I guess duke won't be going 40-0? I am just shocked.  They are and will be a really good team but the sports world went crazy after they crushed a very overrated Kentucky team as of now.  UK will get better but they are not a top team at the moment.

Gonzaga ran out of gas at the end but they were really impressive and playing w/o one of their best players.  Great game w/ the good guys winning, these 2 teams could be playing again in April.

Bad injury news for the Heels, Seventh Woods is out for at least this Tournament w/ a concussion.  he's been playing really well now that he's finally healthy and has his explosion back, hopefully this doesn't set him back too far.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

The Heels failed their first test losing to Texas who they can never seem to beat but they did bounce back a day later vs. UCLA.  Their poor play continued in the 1st half vs. UCLA but they dominated the 2nd half and gave a glimpse to what they can become.  The seniors stepped up that 2nd half and the freshman are growing up.  This team is a work in progress but they have championship potential.  Coby White was incredible over the 2 games scoring 33 vs. Texas and then I think he had 19 vbs. UCLA while he sat much of the 2nd half w/ foul trouble.  Vs. Texas when Coby was out Texas dominated but fellow freshman Leaky Black played really well vs. UCLA stabilizing the PG role w/ regular backup Seventh Woods out.

The Heels don't have much time to rest, hopefully Woods is good to go for Wednesday as the Heels travel to Ann Arbor to face Michigan. 

Finally got a chance to see Duke a few nights ago.

Zion is so huge he would be a hof TE lol

I was impressed with his total game he defends, rebounds, passes, sets screens, moves without the ball.

what a match-up nightmare. Put a big guy on him and he just blows bye him, put a quicker smaller guy on him and he manhandles him

oh yeah and he dunks like nique too