2018-2019 Islanders Thread

RobR

I'd like to get a thread going over here for my beloved Islanders. With all of the posters here there should be a ton of us Isles fans here @Lith.

It's amazing what a new coach and GM combo can do for a franchise even when they lose their star player. It's nice getting excited for games and rooting for a team that plays its ass off every game and is in the hunt.

Tonight was a great game and especially third period. They wore down the opposition, iced the game, and then played some old time hockey. Hopefully Toews keeps Hickey out of the line-up and they keep on winning.

Lets go Isles!!!

Also: Ho -Sang sucks. He has no vision, is liable defensively, and is a turnover machine. I'd rather they try one of the other young players in his place. 

• Sympathy 1

Missed the game tonight -- haven't really watched much this season.  Too many evenings working late, but hopefully things will quiet down in January.

And Rob, I am not sure that there are a ton of Isles fans anywhere -- so it might just be the guy from New Mexico and the guy from Illinois talking up the team from Long Island.  Unless we can get a couple of the guys from the Hampur to come over here. 

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Missed the game tonight -- haven't really watched much this season.  Too many evenings working late, but hopefully things will quiet down in January.

Andm Rob, I am not sure that there are a ton of Isles fans anywhere -- so itmight just be the guy from New mExico and the guy from Illinois talking up our team.  Unless we can get a couple of the guys from the Hampur to come over here. 

I don't know, we already have almost 20 views on this thread. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, RobR said:

I don't know, we already have almost 20 views on this thread. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Still just you an me, Rob.  Another solid win tonight.  I think that is 7 of their last 8 to close out December.  So much different watching this team play with a lead in thee 3rd period this year than past years.  They are disciplined in their own end, don't get out of position chasing the puck.  Even tough they were outshot badly in the 3rd period, they limited Buffalo scoring opportunities tonight.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Still just you an me, Rob.  Another solid win tonight.  I think that is 7 of their last 8 to close out December.  So much different watching this team play with a lead in thee 3rd period this year than past years.  They are disciplined in their own end, don't get out of position chasing the puck.  Even tough they were outshot badly in the 3rd period, they limited Buffalo scoring opportunities tonight.  

There HAS to be more people that could post in this thread. Maybe send and invite to BigL....I think he's registered here.

I missed the beginning of the game because it started so damn early for my time zone but watched most of it. This team is light and day compared to coaching and it's not even close with essentially the same roster minus Tavares. The last Barzal penalty was so ticky tacky I couldn't believe that it was called and led to them getting back in the game. But this team keeps pushing. Great ROW win tonight...too bad Okposo scored. 

11 hours ago, RobR said:

There HAS to be more people that could post in this thread. Maybe send and invite to BigL....I think he's registered here.

I missed the beginning of the game because it started so damn early for my time zone but watched most of it. This team is light and day compared to coaching and it's not even close with essentially the same roster minus Tavares. The last Barzal penalty was so ticky tacky I couldn't believe that it was called and led to them getting back in the game. But this team keeps pushing. Great ROW win tonight...too bad Okposo scored. 

I have no problems with Okposo.  We let him go; he didn't walk out on us the way JT did.  We get two points and Okposo scores is not a bad outcome if you ask me -- would have been nice for Lehner to get the shutout (how good an addition has he been) but it was not meant to be.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

Toews just Wally Pipped Hickey into oblivion. Another great game from the Isles as they totally dominated. Too bad it wasn't in Chicago @Lith

They are in Chicago in just over two weeks -- I will see them then.

Biggest change on this team is the blue line.  Toews looks good.  Pulock is at another level this year.  Nice to finally have a coaching staff that seems capable of developing some of these young blue liners.  Just wish some of these teams ahead of us would lose a game -- everybody that we are chasing in the Conference is red hot; can't seem to get out of that #9 spot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

They are in Chicago in just over two weeks -- I will see them then.

Biggest change on this team is the blue line.  Toews looks good.  Pulock is at another level this year.  Nice to finally have a coaching staff that seems capable of developing some of these young blue liners.  Just wish some of these teams ahead of us would lose a game -- everybody that we are chasing in the Conference is red hot; can't seem to get out of that #9 spot.

It's crazy that they've won eight out of nine and still have not moved up in the standings. Good news is we're only three points out of first.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's crazy that they've won eight out of nine and still have not moved up in the standings. Good news is we're only three points out of first.

And we still have games in hand on the two WC teams ahead of us.  As long as they keep playing well, it should work out eventually.  The key will be once we start playing some of these teams head to head.

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

Played like crap.  On the road.  Came away with 2 points anyway.  And into the first wild card spot.  Not bad for an off night.

I only caught the last 3 minutes and the beginning because of these playoff games. Those last three minutes were rough but Lehner came up big with that great kick save.

It's hard too believe how well they have played this season that they are now the latest seed for the playoffs.

Lets Go Isles!!!! And Bye Bye Hickey.

This is just great.  All season long, I have had the NHL Center Ice package and never got charged for it.  Tonight.  Islander - Ranger night.  Comcast finally figures out that they never billed me for it and my service is cut off.  Just f**kin great.  Adam Gase yesterday.  And now no Isles - Rangers today.

LGI, and enjoy the game, Rob.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

This is just great.  All season long, I have had the NHL Center Ice package and never got charged for it.  Tonight.  Islander - Ranger night.  Comcast finally figures out that they never billed me for it and my service is cut off.  Just f**kin great.  Adam Gase yesterday.  And now no Isles - Rangers today.

LGI, and enjoy the game, Rob.

That sucks but I think I remember you getting a season for free once before.....or maybe I'm thinking of someone else? Also Comcast now has every single game in HD, so there's that.

Isles pull it off in one of the most brutal third periods I have ever seen. One shot on goal and it went in. You didn't miss much tonight and even the Martin fight was boring. Good news is another 2 points in a row game.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

That sucks but I think I remember you getting a season for free once before.....or maybe I'm thinking of someone else? Also Comcast now has every single game in HD, so there's that.

Isles pull it off in one of the most brutal third periods I have ever seen. One shot on goal and it went in. You didn't miss much tonight and even the Martin fight was boring. Good news is another 2 points in a row game.

Yup.  That was me.  Thought I was going to get it for free again.  I paid for it and got the service turned back on in the middle of the game.  Then had to wait about an hour just to see a shot on goal, which happened to go in.  This team has been resembling Cappy/Weight's teams the last few games, but they are still finding ways to win.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  That was me.  Thought I was going to get it for free again.  I paid for it and got the service turned back on in the middle of the game.  Then had to wait about an hour just to see a shot on goal, which happened to go in.  This team has been resembling Cappy/Weight's teams the last few games, but they are still finding ways to win.

Lehner has been bailing them out lately which is a good thing. I'm starting too wonder how many points it is going to take to make the playoffs this year because it's so crowded in the top8-10.

Did you know you can get all games in HD?

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, RobR said:

Lehner has been bailing them out lately which is a good thing. I'm starting too wonder how many points it is going to take to make the playoffs this year because it's so crowded in the top8-10.

Did you know you can get all games in HD?

Top 9 are beginning to separate themselves a bit,  6 point gap between Montreal at 9 and Carolina at 10.  We are only 1 point up on the Candaiens but we do have 3 games in hand, so there is a little bit of space between us and the 9 spot.  The good news is we have games in hand against just about every team in the Eastern Conference.  Bad news is it means our schedule is tougher down the stretch with fewer off days.  I am thnking 98 points probably gets in; maybe 100 to be safe.  Its crazy how the teams ahead of us just keep winning.

Yes, I am aware that the games are now available in HD.  About time comcast offered it up; it is so hard to watch hockey if its not in HD.

6 hours ago, Jetmech said:

The Isles haven't played well their last 3 games against bad teams. I was surprised the trend has continued for 3 games...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great to see another Islander fan on the board.  

I agree with you. They have looked pretty bad over the last 3.  Power play and Lehner bailed them out last night.  2 points they didn't deserve, but I am not gonna give them back.  Hopefully they get out of this funk tomorrow night; if they keep playing like they have the last few games, the losses are bound to come.

8 hours ago, Jetmech said:

The Isles haven't played well their last 3 games against bad teams. I was surprised the trend has continued for 3 games...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the thread. I KNEW there had to be some more Isles fans here.

40 minutes ago, Lith said:

Awesome win tonight.  Erases the stench of last night's loss.  Missed the first half of the game because of the playoffs, but what I did see was an incredible Thomas Greiss performance.  

I missed the first three goals because they were within 5 minutes of puck drop. It's somewhat crazy seeing how the Czikas, Clutter and Martin line have not missed a beat over all of these years even though we lost Matty for a bit. They just click. 

I'll take 5-1 over the best team in the league every day of the week.

Lets go Isles!!!

Thanks to Robin Lehner (and SJ's win over Pitt), we moved into 3rd in the Metro last night.  Lousy effort on the ice, completely outplayed over the final 40 minutes, but somehow, we keep finding a way despite not playing well over the last few games.

Back to back ass kickings and we are now in sole possession of first place!!! This team is fun too root for because they keep pressing the play regardless of the score.

Ever since Hickey has been out of the line up this has been a different team. Great win today if anyone is even reading this.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Long way to go on the season, but who expected this a few months ago:

Eastern                
Metropolitan GP W L OT PTS ROW GF GA
1 NY Islanders 47 28 15 4 60 26 142 119
2 Columbus 47 28 16 3 59 28 153 144
3 Washington 47 27 15 5 59 24 157 141

Best GAA in the league. It's amazing what a new coach can do compared to last year.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Best GAA in the league. It's amazing what a new coach can do compared to last year.

Yup.  Just think back to how many games we had last year when we allowed 40+ shots.  Less than 40 allowed in these last two games combined.  Biggest difference that I can see is their play in the 3rd period with a lead.  I just don't feel like disaster is imminent as in past season.  Can't wait til Tuesday night, Isles will be at the United Center and so will I.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Just think back to how many games we had last year when we allowed 40+ shots.  Less than 40 allowed in these last two games combined.  Biggest difference that I can see is their play in the 3rd period with a lead.  I just don't feel like disaster is imminent as in past season.  Can't wait til Tuesday night, Isles will be at the United Center and so will I.

If anyone deserves to watch their team victorious it is you. Lets go Isles!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, y2k8 said:

HA!  I remember these posters from the Isles thread during the JI years!  I was TJ&TW over there.  Good to see you guys again.

How bout the Islanders!

Always happy to welcome another Islander fan to the thread to discuss the first place NY Islanders.  Loser point was not the worst outcome last night considering it was not one of our best efforts.  Martin penalty giving up the 5 on 3 killed us.

Anyway, good to see you over here.