Our coaching staff - 2 HC's

Chris & Woody's Butler

4 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Eagles fans I know want Schwartz gone and blame him for losing the playoff game against the Saints because his defence was so predictable.

The issue with bifurcating the responsibilities on offence and defence like the way the Jets are going is that it looks fantastic when it works, but when it doesn't work, the head coach may not have the capacity to understand where it's going wrong and where to make changes (short of firing the defensive coordinator).

It might be my naivety but I would think a head coach should know what's happening on both sides of the field, not just his bread and butter. As noted above, we killed Rex for only caring about defence and Bowles was the same, but we're going to cut Gase some slack because he coordinated Denver's offence the season where Manning called his own plays from the huddle?

Hopefully  the difference  is the other side of the ball won't be the worst in football like it was for rex offenses

On 1/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, New York Mick said:

Doesn’t everyone get angry when a defensive HC only worries about the D? Isn’t this pretty much the same?

Not really. Almost all in game strategic decisions are made when your O is on the field. i.e. going for it on 4th, punt or kick FG, etc... It's the nature of offense. It dictates. O is the decision maker. The only in game strategic decision occurring on D is when to take a T.O. when you don't have the ball.

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Not really. Almost all in game strategic decisions are made when your O is on the field. i.e. going for it on 4th, punt or kick FG, etc... It's the nature of offense. It dictates. O is the decision maker. The only in game strategic decision occurring on D is when to take a T.O. when you don't have the ball.

Occasionally there's the weird one about letting the other team score so you have enough time to get a score yourself, but yeah, mostly the strategic bits are offense based.

I'd go back to two of last weekends games for a good example ... Saints, down by 14, 4th and 1 around their own 30 yard line. Fake Punt, drive leads to a TD. Colts, down by 17th, 4th and 1 around their own 30 yard line. Punt. Only one of these teams is playing this weekend.

12 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

The issue with bifurcating the responsibilities on offence and defence like the way the Jets are going is that it looks fantastic when it works, but when it doesn't work,

every and any coaching situation is this...  doesnt matter how you slice it, how your contsruct it, ffs

Archived