After the 1st Day at the Combine

AL047

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020161/article/nfl-combine-winnerslosers-justice-hill-puts-on-a-brief-show

Garrett Bradbury is a center and Andre Dillard is a tackle both looked good at the combine and both are 1st rounders. I'm hoping the Jets keep both in mind when draft time comes. Lets see what kind of activity the Jets do in the free agency period.

www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

Bradbury looks like a low 1st round pick. Jets need 3 1st round picks to make this a special draft and that's not gonna happen. Since teams know we are desperate we are gonna get raped when we trade back - but that's what Maccagnan has been doing for the past 4 years - getting raped so he's pretty used to it bye now. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Bradbury looks like a low 1st round pick. Jets need 3 1st round picks to make this a special draft and that's not gonna happen. Since teams know we are desperate we are gonna get raped when we trade back - but that's what Maccagnan has been doing for the past 4 years - getting raped so he's pretty used to it bye now. 

Which trades do you consider us getting "raped"? Sheldon for a 2nd plus? Getting Darnold without giving up this years first? 

Overall, Mac has been awful. But the trades he's made are the least of his screw ups. They are practically the only thing he has done half way competently. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Which trades do you consider us getting "raped"? Sheldon for a 2nd plus? Getting Darnold without giving up this years first? 

Overall, Mac has been awful. But the trades he's made are the least of his screw ups. They are practically the only thing he has done half way competently. 

As far as trades go yes you are correct Mac hasn’t gotten killed on trades but his drafts haven’t been great - remember it’s his poor Hackenberg pick that led us to trading away 3 #2 picks we had to lose to get Darnold. Also he’s been pretty poor at picking free agents and he overpays them but in his defense they won’t come here unless he overpays so that’s not entirely his fault but partly because his drafts have been poor so the Jets have been bad and if free agents are gonna go to a bad team u bet they wanna be overly compensated . Mac is gonna have to do his best work starting right now in free agency and the draft to get this Jets team good enough to battle for a playoff position. So far so good with the coaching staff imo. 

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Agreed.  He also got a third for Teddy.  As long as there's three studs available (Bosa, Q and Allen, plus Murray) Mac is in the drivers seat.  

With young, cheap cornerstones in place; Darnold on O and Adams on D and one bad long term contract in Trumaine this team is almost a clean slate, a couple decent pieces in Williamson, Williams, Maye and Lee.  The roster is going to get a HUGE overall this off season but the arrow is most definitely pointing up for the first time since 2010.  2019 will require some patience but 2020 it's playoffs or bust. I'm cautiously optimistic.  This pro Free Agency will be HUGE, just a couple weeks away now - I can't wait to see who we sign. There will be some ridiculous contracts given out.  Fine, so be it.  Fill out this roster.

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

With young, cheap cornerstones in place; Darnold on O and Adams on D and one bad long term contract in Trumaine this team is almost a clean slate, a couple decent pieces in Williamson, Williams, Maye and Lee.  The roster is going to get a HUGE overall this off season but the arrow is most definitely pointing up for the first time since 2010.  2019 will require some patience but 2020 it's playoffs or bust. I'm cautiously optimistic.  This pro Free Agency will be HUGE, just a couple weeks away now - I can't wait to see who we sign. There will be some ridiculous contracts given out.  Fine, so be it.  Fill out this roster.

Can't say that until after the FA/Draft - Mac could still screw this up.

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Going by fairly recent and players moving forward, you'd have to say any 7th round draft pick traded for a player who gets 7 sacks (Anderson) is a good trade. Plus the trade of a 4th rounder in a future draft to get a 5th rounder that we used on Shell that has been a pretty good RT is also a decent trade. As stated this is not really where he has struggled. Areas below is where he has had his problems:

1) Neglecting overall the most important unit on the team OL (Which I am sure he has been re-directed to fully address by the Owner CJ due to now the necessity to protect our FQB we have so much invested in)

2) Higher level FA signings like Revis, Mo Wilk, and Johnson, where he needs to be more sure of what they will provide moving forward. The jury is still out on Johnson since he did have like 4 or 5 picks last year and was great under DC Williams in the past.

3) Most picks from 2-7 very bad average as far as players even being used as depth let alone starting. Best pick in those rounds I believe was the punter we have take in the 7th round.

Some of his signing of mid-range FAs and UDFAs actually are not bad like ILB Williamson, OLB Copeland, CB Claibourne, and even LT Beachem has been serviceable since he has not gotten any of our QBs killed. UDFAs like WR Anderson, and OLB/EDGE Luvu have been good signings as well. His ST player signings of K Meyers and KR/PR Roberts also have been good as well.

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

What you hope for in 2019 is some luck in the beginning of the season, a few oh wow wins, so your not climbing uphill. I expect to see the TEAM improve as the season progresses, Sam did that last year. If Sam & the Jets can get into late November in a Wlidcard race, we'll have an exciting December.

Archived