KRL Camp Notes (7/29/19)

KRL

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's the undisputed WR2 and had a 71.1 % catch rate last season.  Yes, he would be a lot better than Darron Lee. 

Health has been his biggest question mark.  The talent is there. 

He had 32 catches and 500 yards in his best season.  With a pro bowl QB throwing his way.

I could care less that he was the number two.  That just means they didnt have a better two on the team.  

Hes in no way a lot better than Lee.  Especially when the health issue is added into the equation.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

One scenario is not better than the other.  The secenario that is better is where players work out and become viable in the NFL.  So far, that has not been the case.  He has used the same philosophy with tons of guys that were supposedly devalued.

Hackenberg was hurt by the lack of scholarships.  Jones played WR and CB in college but was better suited to CB.  Simon, Donahue, Shepherd and Cannon were from small schools.  When I say small, I don't mean guys out of the power 5, I mean schools you couldn't name.  Cashman, McGuire, Clark, Austin and Herndon were injured.    

Everybody takes risks.  The idea is taking the right risk.  Do you take the high floor sure thing like Williams, or Adams or take a risk on an Air Raid QB, like Mahomes? He wasn't scared off on Petty, but seemed deathly afraid of a miss at the top. 

Thought your scenario was he was drafted to be a LB and mine to be a ST demon?  That would be a viable NFL player. 

Ugh, Mahomes again.  9 out of 10 times or better the chance taken on the air raid QB falls flat and you have a whole lot of explaining to do.  If you're still around to explain.  There isnt another air raid QB who has ever worked out.  So the constant fall back to the one time it worked out as some kind of indictment for not taking that monster risk at the 6th spot really is pointless.  You shake your head, give KC props for having it work out and just be happy we wound up with a really good player.  Its not like we struck out and missed with the pick

People are killing the Giants for using a 6th on a QB that people thought would go a lot lower in the 1st but today after we know what Mahomes is we should have taken a guy mocked before the combine as a 3rd then a 2nd in the first with a 6th.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I hope youre right.  But I'm not buying what PFF may have sold to its prescribers.   

And every publication, every write up is he does what he does with his motor, that hes NOT athletic, not a natural athlete, so again, dont know where it came from but hope youre right.

Either way, we need two inside LBs, why would or should we trade one of them away and leave the team with three?  

Except they are wrong and the combine proves it’s wrong. PFF is a more reliable resource than any beat writer for player evaluations. It’s not the end all be all but it’s a good place to begin looking.

The 4 top guys (if Cashman proves himself) create versatility but it’s unnecessary. As for the depth of the position, moving from Williamson in order to get more draft picks or depth at CB and OL doesn’t leave the cupboard bare.  All of this only matters if Cashman can step in and start, I think he’s capable.

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thought your scenario was he was drafted to be a LB and mine to be a ST demon?  That would be a viable NFL player. 

Ugh, Mahomes again.  9 out of 10 times or better the chance taken on the air raid QB falls flat and you have a whole lot of explaining to do.  If you're still around to explain.  There isnt another air raid QB who has ever worked out.  So the constant fall back to the one time it worked out as some kind of indictment for not taking that monster risk at the 6th spot really is pointless.  You shake your head, give KC props for having it work out and just be happy we wound up with a really good player.  Its not like we struck out and missed with the pick

People are killing the Giants for using a 6th on a QB that people thought would go a lot lower in the 1st but today after we know what Mahomes is we should have taken a guy mocked before the combine as a 3rd then a 2nd in the first with a 6th.  

It's not a matter of killing a guy.  It is risk/reward.  He took risks later in the draft, but not at the top. That is my point.  He seem afraid of busts.  I am not looking to relive the Mahomes debate.  My point was that Mahomes was a risk, Adams had a much higher floor.  At the top, Maccagnan seemed more worried about the floor - no busts.   Lower down he would take risky guys that might never play - Austin and Clark couldn't even fully work out before the draft.

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not a matter of killing a guy.  It is risk/reward.  He took risks later in the draft, but not at the top. That is my point.  He seem afraid of busts.  I am not looking to relive the Mahomes debate.  My point was that Mahomes was a risk, Adams had a much higher floor.  At the top, Maccagnan seemed more worried about the floor - no busts.   Lower down he would take risky guys that might never play - Austin and Clark couldn't even fully work out before the draft.

I hear you but I think most GMs play it with high picks like we had the same way.  

This loses its importance when you hit the 5th round.  You get production and contributions from anyone at any position with your 5th you dance all the way home.  Come on, hes a 5th.  I know there were tons of unbelievably mediocre OL and WRs that fans drooled over at that spot.  There always are 

Of course there are. Many solid contributors are found there. It’s just rarely us. lol

You’ve mentioned in the past that the 5th-7th rd is a low priority for you. I can appreciate that. I value those pics significantly more. Especially when discussing OL prospects.

I’m liking the potential of cashman and I find myself generally liking most of picks after that fact, at least initially, but the cashman abs Wesco (who I love) picks should have been OL. There were good centers there in the 4th.

Anyway I see the ST value as well and even if cashman only ends up being a ST contributor without breaking into the defense very often it will still be a very solid pick for the jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Of course there are. Many solid contributors are found there. It’s just rarely us. lol

You’ve mentioned in the past that the 5th-7th rd is a low priority for you. I can appreciate that. I value those pics significantly more. Especially when discussing OL prospects.

I’m liking the potential of cashman and I find myself generally liking most of picks after that fact, at least initially, but the cashman abs Wesco (who I love) picks should have been OL. There were good centers there in the 4th.

Anyway I see the ST value as well and even if cashman only ends up being a ST contributor without breaking into the defense very often it will still be a very solid pick for the jets.

I never said 5-7th is low priority.  What I said is that theyre real crap shoot picks, ones you pray make the roster.  Its rare, really rare that you find solid contributors in the 7th.  So yes, risking a pick on a db instead of some jag WR fans who looked up his measurable and envisioned Dez they take the db.

As long as i've been on these internet boards I bet I've read 100s of names of Wrs or OL that some fans cried for who I've never heard their names since.  Its a crap shoot.

I have no issue with Cashman or those who pray he becomes Zack Thomas.  Just have to laugh when we've got conversations going on when we can let Avery go, after a couple of practices.  Totally neglecting that Avery played well for us a year ago, but lets dump him.  For a 5th round pick with shoulder surgeries to each shoulder.  Off of a couple of practices where he was mentioned.  Thats all

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no issue with Cashman or those who pray he becomes Zack Thomas.  Just have to laugh when we've got conversations going on when we can let Avery go, after a couple of practices.  Totally neglecting that Avery played well for us a year ago, but lets dump him.  For a 5th round pick with shoulder surgeries to each shoulder.  Off of a couple of practices where he was mentioned.  Thats all

Well said.  I think everyone gets a little overzealous during camp time because it's the first taste of Football in months.  We get a little too carried away with some random dudes interpretation of a player/play they tweeted about.  Truthfully, this all means very little and you really cant extrapolate too much from a tweet like "Cashman is fast and makes tackles".   At this point, you just want it to be encouraging.  Which by all indications, camp is going well for a quite a few guys.  Which is great to hear.  The more competitive camp is, the better IMO.

Avery Williamson was the 2nd best player on the team last year.  He's a very good player and has a lot of years ahead of him at 27.  I was actually kind of surprised by the Mosley signing because of Williamson.  Seemed redundant at the time.  Cashman would have to be an incredible overachiever to take his job anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well said.  I think everyone gets a little overzealous during camp time because it's the first taste of Football in months.  We get a little too carried away with some random dudes interpretation of a player/play they tweeted about.  Truthfully, this all means very little and you really cant extrapolate too much from a tweet like "Cashman is fast and makes tackles".   At this point, you just want it to be encouraging.  Which by all indications, camp is going well for a quite a few guys.  Which is great to hear.  The more competitive camp is, the better IMO.

Avery Williamson was the 2nd best player on the team last year.  He's a very good player and has a lot of years ahead of him at 27.  I was actually kind of surprised by the Mosley signing because of Williamson.  Seemed redundant at the time.  Cashman would have to be an incredible overachiever to take his job anytime soon. 

Agree.

It is just amazing to me, especially because we have a really good young player at that position that quite frankly I dont ever see Cashman becoming better than.  Its not like we're hoping he allows us to rid ourselves of an unproductive scrub.  As you said, he was our 2nd best player on the team and now some are looking to replace him.  Dont ever see that happening IMO.  But hey, could be wrong, so he on the time and we'll see. 

I never said 5-7th is low priority.  What I said is that theyre real crap shoot picks, ones you pray make the roster.  Its rare, really rare that you find solid contributors in the 7th.  So yes, risking a pick on a db instead of some jag WR fans who looked up his measurable and envisioned Dez they take the db.
As long as i've been on these internet boards I bet I've read 100s of names of Wrs or OL that some fans cried for who I've never heard their names since.  Its a crap shoot.

That’s great and all and I laugh at those same sentiments myself. Camp is a funny time. Stevie Anderson, David Clowny and Brett Ratliff come to mind. I can get just as caught up as anyone else in the hope and excitement of it all but cashman being a reason to trade Williamson after a week of practice is kinda funny.

But I think we were talking about the cashman pick in general and if it was the best position to take at the time. Truth is I’m
Not sure anymore lol. And it’s gotten away from
Me a bit.

Looking forward to the game tonight. Football is here buddy!