Good point on the Astros cheating scandal

Maxman

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can't understand why the players (outside the Astros) do not understand this.

I think the commish calling the World Series a piece of metal did a lot of damage.

Just let the teams know you won't throw people out of games for hitting Astros batters and there will be no problems lol.

39 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think the commish calling the World Series a piece of metal did a lot of damage.

Just let the teams know you won't throw people out of games for hitting Astros batters and there will be no problems lol.

It was dumb for him to say that. I know he was trying to diminish the effect of taking away the championship by essentially saying that all that would really be happening is the trophy goes way.

He made a huge miscalculation there.

What is nice to see is so many people getting fired up about baseball. What is supposedly a dyeing sport is energized by controversy. Heck, all the times the Pats cheated in the NFL, and the fans response was a gentle shrug and a "yeah, they do that".

40 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It was dumb for him to say that. I know he was trying to diminish the effect of taking away the championship by essentially saying that all that would really be happening is the trophy goes way.

What is nice to see is so many people getting fired up about baseball. What is supposedly a dyeing sport is energized by controversy. Heck, all the times the Pats cheated in the NFL, and the fans response was a gentle shrug and a "yeah, they do that".

True. Baseball was really starting to comeback. Not sure the long term impacts this will have. Hopefully they move past it.

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

CC139F86-80E5-4FB0-ACCB-BA5FAEE75E2F.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Manfred is incompetent. That being said, it makes sense why players werent suspended for the above reasons stated in this thread.

However, he is a total coward for not removing the Astros championship. The long term health of baseball would have been better off had he done so. Manfred failing to understand this or not having the guts to do it, was a complete F up on his part. 

THE ASTROS CHEATED THE ENTIRE 2017 SEASON AND THE 2017 POSTSEASON. WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID!!???

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Barton said:

Manfred is incompetent. That being said, it makes sense why players werent suspended for the above reasons stated in this thread.

However, he is a total coward for not removing the Astros championship. The long term health of baseball would have been better off had he done so. Manfred failing to understand this or not having the guts to do it, was a complete F up on his part. 

THE ASTROS CHEATED THE ENTIRE 2017 SEASON AND THE 2017 POSTSEASON. WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID!!???

It was much longer than that. Also, the intern who devised this scheme back in 2016 is still employed by the Astros, I believe.

6 hours ago, Barton said:

How many Yankees championships should they remove for Whitey Ford's amazing skill at cheating? (scuffing balls, throwing an inch or two ahead of the rubber and much much more)

Maybe the Giants '71 division title (Perry) or Astros '86 (Scott)? Oakland '81 (Armas' corked bat)?

What about all the offensive lineman taping their fingers with tape the color of opponents jerseys so they can get away with holding?

Cheating, unfortunately, has always been a part of sports.  Probably goes back to Harry Wright and Cap Anson. Sign stealing is primary. All teams do it and have done it to some extent. 

Much ado about nothing.  

Sorry to be contrarian here, I know it is not fashionable in this "everyone in everyone else's biz but their own" era

48 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

How many Yankees championships should they remove for Whitey Ford's amazing skill at cheating? (scuffing balls, throwing an inch or two ahead of the rubber and much much more)

Maybe the Giants '71 division title (Perry) or Astros '86 (Scott)? Oakland '81 (Armas' corked bat)?

What about all the offensive lineman taping their fingers with tape the color of opponents jerseys so they can get away with holding?

Cheating, unfortunately, has always been a part of sports.  Probably goes back to Harry Wright and Cap Anson. Sign stealing is primary. All teams do it and have done it to some extent. 

Much ado about nothing.  

Sorry to be contrarian here, I know it is not fashionable in this "everyone in everyone else's biz but their own" era

Everything you just compared the Astros cheating to - pales in comparison. Be serious. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:04 PM, Barton said:

Everything you just compared the Astros cheating to - pales in comparison. Be serious. 

I think what he's really doing is following the bread crumbs. Over time, players/teams have used every method they could to gain an advantage. Unfortunately, today's technology unwittingly has made it too easy. The same people who have been clamoring to use technology, to "get the call right" and "bring baseball into 21st century" are now getting on their high horses and blaming teams for using what was created. The examples he used ,in essence, are really all centered on the same thing. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:31 AM, Barton said:

Random thought of the day. You signed up here in March 2005. I like reading your baseball thoughts. Man it has been a long time.  Good stuff though.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, The Crimson King said:

Much ado about nothing.  

Yeah remember when Whitey Ford used technology to strike people out?  Me neither.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Random thought of the day. You signed up here in March 2005. I like reading your baseball thoughts. Man it has been a long time.  Good stuff though.

15 years, Max - pretty crazy huh. One day I'll make it to a Jets game tailgate with you guys.