Odds on Redskins taking a QB

Was just listening to "the Blitz" on sirius radio. Todd Haley made a pretty convincing argument on why it wouldn't be that surprising. First, said if Tua and Haskins were in same draft, not even close who you would take. Second, he studied Haskins before last years draft and just didn't see it . Third, the fact the Cardinals bailed on a #1 QB pick after just one year, and had success doing it, may give other teams confidence to do it. After listening to that part of the show, it made me think the odds of this actually happening are 60-40.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was just listening to "the Blitz" on sirius radio. Todd Haley made a pretty convincing argument on why it wouldn't be that surprising. First, said if Tua and Haskins were in same draft, not even close who you would take. Second, he studied Haskins before last years draft and just didn't see it . Third, the fact the Cardinals bailed on a #1 QB pick after just one year, and had success doing it, may give other teams confidence to do it. After listening to that part of the show, it made me think the odds of this actually happening are 60-40.

If the Redskins were a smart organization they’d draft Tua. But they’re not....so who knows.

But they SHOULD.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't go near Tua with a first round pick in the top 15. Too many red flags.

His injury is a major one. He's probably not going to be able to see the field this year. Even if you assume he's going to make a full recovery (I don't) no way I risk that kind of capital on someone who won't have played since December of 19, and then expect great things of two years later in September of '21. 

He wasn't exactly a slam dunk before all this either. The kid is good, but this isn't his first injury, he can't stay on the field. Hurts had to bail him out against Georgia in '18 also if you remember.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Don't forget, fourth, they have a completely new regime that did not select Haskins. I think everyone would agree that drafting Murray was the right call, and this is an extremely similar situation. I agree somewhat with 14 in Green that there are a lot of caution flags, but I have heard a lot of knowlegeable people say that hip of Tua is fine and nothing like Bo Jacksons, and that his injury history in general is not as big of a red flag as it seems. Ron Rivera seemed giddy about Tua and we know what happened last year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Don't forget, fourth, they have a completely new regime that did not select Haskins. I think everyone would agree that drafting Murray was the right call, and this is an extremely similar situation. I agree somewhat with 14 in Green that there are a lot of caution flags, but I have heard a lot of knowlegeable people say that hip of Tua is fine and nothing like Bo Jacksons, and that his injury history in general is not as big of a red flag as it seems. Ron Rivera seemed giddy about Tua and we know what happened last year.

Maybe most important point of all.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I wouldn't go near Tua with a first round pick in the top 15. Too many red flags.

His injury is a major one. He's probably not going to be able to see the field this year. Even if you assume he's going to make a full recovery (I don't) no way I risk that kind of capital on someone who won't have played since December of 19, and then expect great things of two years later in September of '21. 

He wasn't exactly a slam dunk before all this either. The kid is good, but this isn't his first injury, he can't stay on the field. Hurts had to bail him out against Georgia in '18 also if you remember.

In my mind top 15 picks bust all the time, so why not take the potential franchise changing QB?  who if healthy would’ve been the number 1 overall pick a few months ago.  

If you guaranteed me Chase Young would be a Khalil Mack clone in the NFL I’d still take Tua over him just for the chance of having an elite QB.  The Bears have the best pass rusher onthe planet and....Mitch Trubisky, therefore are going nowhere.  

Take the possibly elite QB when given the chance, unless you clearly have one, just makes sense to me

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

In my mind top 15 picks bust all the time, so why not take the potential franchise changing QB?  who if healthy would’ve been the number 1 overall pick a few months ago.  

If you guaranteed me Chase Young would be a Khalil Mack clone in the NFL I’d still take Tua over him just for the chance of having an elite QB.  The Bears have the best pass rusher onthe planet and....Mitch Trubisky, therefore are going nowhere.  

Take the possibly elite QB when given the chance, unless you clearly have one, just makes sense to me

Good post, and your opinion is as valid as mine, so you get no argument from me here.

I think we just differ on when to take a QB, and the value of a particular one. No big deal in my mind, The other thing we differ on is you seem to favor the idea of getting the QB as soon as you can, regardless of the talent you have around him. I'm probably in the minority here, but if I were a GM, I'd look to build my OL and the rest of my offense first, and then go get the QB. I don't think teams are doing the young QBs any favors when they take a guy when the Jets, Bengals(?) and other bottom feeders do.

I think the Jets would've been better off keeping the #6 pick and 3 2nds in '18, building up the offense, then they could've packaged picks to move up for a QB a year or two later. Just my opinion though, I understand your view also.