What Effect Will (not being involved with) the 2019 Draft Have On The GM

Vader

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The top receivers are being grossly overrated all of a sudden in comparison to the olineman imo.

Jeudy and Lamb are good prospects, worthy of top 15 picks, they are not calvin johnson, they are certainly not jerry rice.

I've said often for this draft, the best Wr in the draft will not be one of the top two picked.

They are definitely not Calvin Johnson’s. But the top three receivers have some special playmaking attributes. If Lamb or Jeudy hits on potential, you are talking about an all-pro type player.

There’s no Joe Thomas at OT either this year — and while OL May be safer, I don’t think you have a single OL that can step in and play LT this year, and neither are any of the top OL prospects coming with All-pro upside within a few years. 

There’s no consensus. It’s the Wild West this year 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The top receivers are being grossly overrated all of a sudden in comparison to the olineman imo.

Jeudy and Lamb are good prospects, worthy of top 15 picks, they are not calvin johnson, they are certainly not jerry rice.

I've said often for this draft, the best Wr in the draft will not be one of the top two picked.

Interesting. I don't disagree. In your opinion who would you guess will be the best of the pack? 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. I don't disagree. In your opinion who would you guess will be the best of the pack? 

A guy like Justin Jefferson, Denzel Mims, Tee higgins, even further down the list a guy like Tyler Johnson.

Tough to know but so many good WRs in this draft. 

Although not the best there will be a start or two even lower in the draft (5-6 round)

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is why I'm really hoping for a trade down if there is a run on OT before our pick. More ammo in a deep draft with some really nice prospects  in the late first through the third.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I would think that he will handle draft day trades the same way he handled FA this year...he'll have a set calculation on how they value each player and each draft pick and will stick to his guns regardless of how the board falls. Seems to me like he has dealt with this FA showing very little emotion or impulse buying so I would hope he continues that into the draft as well. Like you though, I can't wait to find out how this plays out in a couple weeks. 

It's nice to feel like someone pragmatic, calculated, and even handed is in charge. You never want someone who is overly emotional making prudent business decisions.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vader said:

They are definitely not Calvin Johnson’s. But the top three receivers have some special playmaking attributes. If Lamb or Jeudy hits on potential, you are talking about an all-pro type player.

There’s no Joe Thomas at OT either this year — and while OL May be safer, I don’t think you have a single OL that can step in and play LT this year, and neither are any of the top OL prospects coming with All-pro upside within a few years. 

There’s no consensus. It’s the Wild West this year 

How do you know there are no joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson’s in this draft?

Its not about their scouting report. What matters is what they do in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I just know ?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Sure, but there are certain skillsets that translate and others that don't.  The top WR's are smaller guys.  It's much, much harder to have smaller WR's reach HOF status.  Marvin Harrison's and Steve Smith's are pretty rare. 

And even if any of those WR's are "special", it's hard to tell which one to take.  The only one I'm confident in is Jeudy, who has a very high floor.  Lamb would be the highest upside guy, I suppose.  Ruggs, at 5-11, 188, scares me the most.  With so many WR's in that solid WR1/WR2 discussion but possibly lacking elite upside, the best bet to me is to trade down and/or grab receivers in the late 1st thru 3rd, not at 11. 

I won't automatically rule out a future HOF OT in this class, however.  Andrew Thomas (rock solid) and Becton (high ceiling) are pretty exciting prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but there are certain skillsets that translate and others that don't.  The top WR's are smaller guys.  It's much, much harder to have smaller WR's reach HOF status.  Marvin Harrison's and Steve Smith's are pretty rare. 

And even if any of those WR's are "special", it's hard to tell which one to take.  The only one I'm confident in is Jeudy, who has a very high floor.  With so many WR's in that solid WR1/WR2 discussion but possibly lacking elite upside, the best bet to me is to trade down and/or grab receivers in the late 1st thru 3rd, not at 11.  

I won't automatically rule out a future HOF OT in this class, however.  Andrew Thomas (rock solid) and Becton (high ceiling) are pretty exciting prospects.  

Becton is my fave. Major upside but so raw he’s riskier than Lamb or Jeudy

• Upvote 1

None, doesn’t matter. 

This is about the big picture, hopefully a successful 20 year window of Joe Douglas-led Jets success. This offseason including the draft = getting the ship of state sailing in the right direction. I think JD is the man to do it. If so the next big question is if Gase is the HC to do it. 

But it’s fun focusing on the positive: seems we’re in able hands with JD, a solid football-guy/citizen.