Joe Beningo discussing Jets football over the years

On 5/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, slimjasi said:

As brutal as several of the playoff losses have been, those are going to come with getting to the playoffs multiple times (see the Chiefs or Chargers).

The three things that drive me nuts are:

1) The lack of consistent competitiveness (Only four back to back playoff appearances since the merger 81/82, 85/86,  2001/2002, and 2009/2010) and

2) The lack of division titles (only two since the merger - 1998 and 2002, which is simply incredible)

3) The late season collapses (1993 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs, 2000 - starting 6-1 and missing the playoffs, 2008 - starting 8-3 and missing the playoffs, 2011 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs)

We have yet to have that signature 5-10 year stretch of being true a perennial contender. The two times we were close were with Parcells (but he wasn't committed long term) and with Rex (but Sanchez wasn't good enough to sustain success with a rapidly diminishing roster)

From 1997-2010 the Jets made the playoffs 8/13 years. The recent dry spell was caused by repeated poor decisions from ownership:

#1-Woody firing Tanny and Keeping Rex forced him to have to settle for an unqualified GM candidate in John Idzik. Should have kept both in place or fired both.

This is the one decision that really screwed things up for years. Idzik left this roster completely baron and as a result the Jets were not an attractive place for the top GM candidates and once again had to settle for a less than stellar candidate in McCagnan. 

I also feel like the only time the Jets had any stability since 2011 was 2015-16. Rex was pretty much a lame duck from the moment Idzik arrived, Bowles was a lame duck once McCagnan sold ownership on stripping the roster down after the 2016 season, and Gase has been a lame duck since he arrived. 

3 hours ago, FiremanEd52 said:

From 1997-2010 the Jets made the playoffs 8/13 years. The recent dry spell was caused by repeated poor decisions from ownership:

#1-Woody firing Tanny and Keeping Rex forced him to have to settle for an unqualified GM candidate in John Idzik. Should have kept both in place or fired both.

This is the one decision that really screwed things up for years. Idzik left this roster completely baron and as a result the Jets were not an attractive place for the top GM candidates and once again had to settle for a less than stellar candidate in McCagnan. 

I also feel like the only time the Jets had any stability since 2011 was 2015-16. Rex was pretty much a lame duck from the moment Idzik arrived, Bowles was a lame duck once McCagnan sold ownership on stripping the roster down after the 2016 season, and Gase has been a lame duck since he arrived. 

I agree with some of this, but 8 playoff appearances from 1998-2010 is not good enough, mainly because of two things I alluded to in my original post: 1) Only two division titles (the only two AFC east titles we have ever had) and 2) Only two back to back playoff appearances (01/02 and 09/10).

We are still due for that 5-10 year period of perennial contention that all of the best franchises eventually have. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:40 AM, y2k8 said:

Sorry. No.  Even if you put aside me approaching 50 and never seeing them get to a SuperBowl.  Kids who started following the team have not experienced the excruciating losses older fans have - playoffs and otherwise. The worst loss in 10 years has been the last game in Buffalo Bowles first year.  That game doesn't even crack my Top 10 heartbreaks.  Also, these children have their whole lives to see the Jets get to the promised land.

Some of us are running out seasons.

I reject your hypothesis.

And you're just a kid to some of us.