ESPN's Mike Greenberg slams Jets Christopher Johnson for backing Adam Gase

joewilly12

ESPN’s Mike Greenberg slams Jets' Christopher Johnson for backing Adam Gase

Updated 8:14 AM; Today 8:14 AM 
Adam Gase

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase walks off the field after an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020, in Orchard Park, N.Y.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

In case you missed it, it’s been Jets-bashing week on ESPN’s “Get Up!” following the 27-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

It started on Monday, with self-professed Jets fan Mike Greenberg crushing head coach Adam Gase.

Former Jets offensive lineman Damien Woody joined the anti-Gase bandwagon on Thursday.

On Friday, Greenberg was back at it, this time pointing a finger at owner Christopher Johnson for giving Gase a vote of confidence this week.

"So the acting owner of the Jets thinks Adam Gase is a brilliant offensive mind. To that I replay, what on Earth could possibly have given you that impression? There is certainly no evidence that it’s true. What there is, in fact, is overwhelming evidence that the exact opposite is true. 

"Consider that in no season that Peyton Manning was not his quarterback, that any of Gase’s teams ever finish in the top half of the league in scoring. The last three seasons, in fact, they finished 28th, 26th and 31st. That’s in a 32-team league. In 17 games under Gase, the Jets have scored 33 touchdowns and they’ve punted 93 times. They have scored on 24% of their possessions. That’s the worst in the league. They’ve gone three-and-out on 44%. That’s the worst in the league. Their average drive has gained 23 yards. All of those are worst in the NFL. But wait, there’s more.

"When the Jets acquired Le’Veon Bell, he had averaged more total yards per game than any player in history. Ever. Under the brilliant offensive mind, Bell is 27th in the league in yards per game. And there’s one more. Just so you know this is not just my fandom talking. Under Gase in Miami, Ryan Tannehill was so bad, the Dolphins traded him for mid-round draft picks and they chipped in $5 million just to get rid of him. Then his first year in Tennessee away from Gase, Tannehill had the fourth-highest passer rating in history and led the Titans to the AFC title game. 

“Those are all facts. They happened. And they beg one big question, Christopher Johnson: If the coach is a brilliant offensive mind, what in the world is he doing with it?”

On Wednesday, Johnson spoke with reporters and threw his weight behind Gase.

“I have, first of all, full confidence in Adam. I’ve been, with the exception of (Wednesday) — this might be the first practice on missing so far since since the end of July — I’ve seen him interact with this team. I’ve seen him lead this team,” Johnson said. “Look back to last year. He took a team that went they did so poorly in the in the first half of the season and held them together. And they finished well. I think that he has a lot more in him as a head coach than some of our fans are giving him credit for, and I understand. They want to see success, and I think that they will.”

Johnson called Gase a “brilliant offensive mind,” and the acting owner still believes he can right the ship with the Jets. Gase, like any coach, will continue to be evaluated throughout the season, and he wants to see tangible improvement.

“I am going to want to see this team progress,” Johnson said. “Hopefully that won’t be too hard from that first game, but I’m looking for real progression over the season. And I’m confident that we’ll see that.”

2 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

Got to give Gase more than one game with no preseason to see what he can do with this offense.  Crossing my fingers week 2 will show improvement.

I can't stand Gase but I agree with your premise.  Should've been fired after last season but it's too late at this point.