Time to take Rondale Moore seriously

Paradis

12 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Since we’re talking shifty little guys, I’m just going to leave this here. 

Highlights and sweet rap music start at 3:20

(p.s., this guy was #3 in total rec yards, and #2 rec TDs for ALL college receivers, 2020)

I believe @Chrebetfan80 brought up Darden on the draft forum in the fall and has been banging the drum on him ever since.

18 minutes ago, derp said:

I believe @Chrebetfan80 brought up Darden on the draft forum in the fall and has been banging the drum on him ever since.

Guilty as charged.  Dudes small but a creative offensive mind and scheme can really make good use of him in a variety of roles.  The only issue I see with the jets taking him late is that Berrios may fill the exact same role.  

For context:  Berrios is 5'9 190 (Thickly built)

Darden is 5'9 175 (good build but not like Berrios)

Berrios combine numbers:  4.44 40 yd dash (1.58 10 yd split, 2.59 20 yd split). 11 reps of 225. and a 6.72 3 cone drill.  with a  36 inch vertical and a 110 inch broad jump. 

Ill be really interested to see what Darden times tests at.  I think he can be a really versatile piece in time and is a nightmare in the open field.  It's extremely rare to see the first person get to him and tackle him. He makes people miss almost at will.  If he can post good pro day numbers he really could be a later round steal for a team as a versatile offensive piece and a return man.  Dude posted a monster year at North Texas this year (74 rec. 1190 yds and 19tds!!!).

Again however the issue becomes whether there are other players that can also provide this versatility with possibly more solid upside.  I look at guys like Rondale Moore and Kadarius Toney (and berrios to a lesser extent) and think that Darden is just a late round lesser option to these players.  If you dont feel those guys are worth the price when we are up to pick then I think Darden offers similar value at a much lower draft capital cost. 

• Sympathy 1

I should also add, I've been high on darden for a while after one of his trainers talked him up to me over the summer when we were chopping it up about drill work.  Showed me some film of him training as an example and I was floored at the footwork in and out of breaks which led to a nice discussion about him as a player.  By all accounts he's a fantastic kid with a great work ethic too.  He's continued to get better and really does play with a chip on his shoulders. 

I think some team will get a really nice player in him later in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I should also add, I've been high on darden for a while after one of his trainers talked him up to me over the summer when we were chopping it up about drill work.  Showed me some film of him training as an example and I was floored at the footwork in and out of breaks which led to a nice discussion about him as a player.  By all accounts he's a fantastic kid with a great work ethic too.  He's continued to get better and really does play with a chip on his shoulders. 

I think some team will get a really nice player in him later in the draft. 

At the very least, I’d throw a pick at him just to have PR/KR locked down for the foreseeable future.

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

At the very least, I’d throw a pick at him just to have PR/KR locked down for the foreseeable future.

I think thats his real value early on in his career.  Again it comes down to if you feel long term he could replace a guy like Berrios on the roster, or if they end up drafting a Toney or Moore in this draft.  all those would probably take priority off Darden later on.  

Either way, I like the kid and think he'll have a role for someone at some point.  

On 2/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, derp said:

True, he's been talking him for a while, i can attest. PM'd me a long time ago.... Darden may not be a household name, but there's been an industry buzz about him most of the year. North Texas has been quietly churning a guy here and there for a few years recently. Great program and staff they have down there in Denton. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Shorter guys are always the ones that squat a billion.  I knew a guy with genuine 900+ squat.  Might have been over a grand.  He was so short that he asked me to put his kid on my shoulders at the hot dog eating contest in Coney Island.  I'm 5'9". 

Darron Lee and the 105 lbs. on his squat rack say hello!

:P