Cheats Gonna Cheat, Roger Gonna Roger, Kraft Gonna Kraft, Refs Gonna Ref

3 hours ago, jgb said:

And this was 15 years ago. I'm sure it's even crazier now.

It will always be absolutely shocking to me how cavalier people are being spied on and the level of dismissiveness is even worse.  I'm not even talking about half-ass consent or full on consent with blinders on that people willfully ignore. 

So Belicheat and spying. Classic Cheats fans defense was look how we ran up the score and blew everyone out in response to these specious accusations and went 18-0. We don't need to cheat. Conclusion by the powers of deduction: cheated harder. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's also a guy that would follow orders from Belichick, for sure.  The most standup guy can be convinced by an authority figure that an ethically ambiguous "order" is the right move and that he should follow it without question.

This is why people in the Military with strong personal ethics often run into a shi t ton of personal problems IMO. It's not a good place to be; but those same people very often do the right thing on and off the battle field at great cost. I don't mean to compare football to the ultimate sacrifice or anything remotely close to it (I'm a huge supporter of the Military), it's just a weak parallel that came to mind.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetophile said:

It will always be absolutely shocking to me how cavalier people are being spied on and the level of dismissiveness is even worse.  I'm not even talking about half-ass consent or full on consent with blinders on that people willfully ignore. 

So Belicheat and spying. Classic Cheats fans defense was look how we ran up the score and blew everyone out in response to these specious accusations and went 18-0. We don't need to cheat. Conclusion by the powers of deduction: cheated harder. 

Can it even be called spying when people just put everything out there for all to see? It used to be if you drank too much at a party, or got into a shouting match with the McDonald's cashier you were a little ashamed the next day and didn't want anyone to know. Now, you post it yourself on Tik Tok to show how "Crazy!!" you are.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can it even be called spying when people just put everything out there for all to see? It used to be if you drank too much at a party, or got into a shouting match with the McDonald's cashier you were a little ashamed the next day and didn't want anyone to know. Now, you post it yourself on Tik Tok to show how "Crazy!!" you are.

This is a very broad brush conversation at the moment, but it's really very detailed. 

I read the fine print on everything. I'm talking everything. And then if you say, "What does this mean?" Guess what? You're the pain in the ass (see multiple fights that I'm having with my cell phone company). I can't even get into it.

So here's what I do repetitively for faceless revenge on unseen forces. I join Hulu, I cancel Hulu. I join Prime, I cancel Prime. I wait for them to beg me to come back. I join and I cancel. Hahaha.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, jetophile said:

This is a very broad brush conversation at the moment, but it's really very detailed. 

I read the fine print on everything. I'm talking everything. And then if you say, "What does this mean?" Guess what? You're the pain in the ass (see multiple fights that I'm having with my cell phone company). I can't even get into it.

So here's what I do repetitively for faceless revenge on unseen forces. I join Hulu, I cancel Hulu. I join Prime, I cancel Prime. I wait for them to beg me to come back. I join and I cancel. Hahaha.

That's one thing Orwell got wrong in "1984." It didn't require a totalitarian government to eliminate personal privacy. We gave it away ourselves for digital thumbs up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, jetophile said:

This is why people in the Military with strong personal ethics often run into a shi t ton of personal problems IMO. It's not a good place to be; but those same people very often do the right thing on and off the battle field at great cost. I don't mean to compare football to the ultimate sacrifice or anything remotely close to it (I'm a huge supporter of the Military), it's just a weak parallel that came to mind.

No, you're right.  There's enough similarity to make that comparison.  NFL players are putting their brains and bodies on the line constantly.  And meanwhile (not to diminish the profession at all), some members of the military never see combat or are at serious risk, so in some ways, your risks are higher for the average NFL player than the average member of the military.  Both are incredibly difficult professions and require listening to people in authority positions.  

• Upvote 1

And?  Consider the players. Trump, Specter, and Kraft.  Not exactly people who like to lose.  And Specter was the worst of the bunch because he was a sleazy politician.  The only issue I have is how Kraft advised Woody early on about team ownership.  Seems like Woody liked to play by the rules so he didn’t give parcells power (parcells being another sleazy person) and tried to go the PC route you hiring Herm and Broadway.  This probably set the team back a few seasons.  And then he launched Mangini shortly after the spy gate revelations.  Woody probably thought Mangini was being too ruthless and fired him for the buffoon Rex.

The bottom line is Kraft has a very successful team and it’s because he’s not averse to pushing the rules boundaries and keeping a sleazy coach like the bellichicken.