Analyzing The Impact Of The New York Jets’ Signing Of Morgan Moses On George Fant And The Rest Of The O-Line

19 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don't know.

Between the pics Becton posted of him walking around NYC and this, I'm not sure where the "He's fat" rumors started.

Its all about an easy story to write during the dead period before camp

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, football guy said:

I’m really fascinated to see what the Jets do with the line. Both Douglas and Saleh/his staff have aligned values regarding players being “position-less”, so while local beat is jumping to the conclusion that signing Moses means Fant goes to the bench, I'm not so certain. 

In SF, Daniel Brunskill was a similar HWS athlete to Fant and has been utilized at both G & T (former TE turned OT turned RG). Aaron Banks was a LG at Notre Dame who is likely moving to RG, but I found it interesting that he was going to be moved to LT had he returned for his senior season. 

Fant provides the Jets tremendous depth as a capable swing tackle who showed to be an average T last year and can play both sides, but you wonder why the Jets would limit themselves physically at RG when you can kind of platoon players there (start Fant at RG but shift him outside and insert a traditional G like Lewis or GVR in jumbo formations).

It’s going to come down to competition, but I really hope the Jets give Fant a chance to compete at G. A Becton-AVT-McGovern-Fant-Moses front 5 has got to be among the most athletic in the league (on paper of course). 

Total agreement.  I just don't see Fant being kicked to the curb, with his ability to move in space

he could be an intriguing RG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not going to try to convince you.  I don't have a problem with people preferring Becton, but I am not so sure.  I am also not sure that would be a limp dick move.  Were the Ravens limp dicks when they drafted Ogden and started him at LG for Tony Jones who they only signed for a year?  I think Ferentz was their OLine coach at the time. 

Huh?  Tony Jones was the Browns/Ravens starting LT for the prior 5 years when they put Ogden at LG and kept Jones at LT.  And he was a very good one.  That can't be compared to a Beachum/Fant type at all.  Jones was an established veteran.  And he definitely wasn't on a 1-year deal.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Total agreement.  I just don't see Fant being kicked to the curb, with his ability to move in space

he could be an intriguing RG

I agree about Fant.  Remember, it took us a month to sign Moses.  If we were desperate to replace Fant, we would not have given Moses the opportunity to sign with someone else.

I think Moses is here as either a RG or to play right tackle in case becton gets hurt and Fant needs to move to the left side.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  Tony Jones was the Browns/Ravens starting LT for the prior 5 years when they put Ogden at LG and kept Jones at LT.  And he was a very good one.  That can't be compared to a Beachum/Fant type at all.  Jones was an established veteran.  And he definitely wasn't on a 1-year deal.  

Ha!  My bad!  I just looked up Tony Jones and forgot the Browns became the Ravens.   Still, he was Tony Jones.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ha!  My bad!  I just looked up Tony Jones and forgot the Browns became the Ravens.   Still, he was Tony Jones.

In 1994, Jones scored an 11 on football-reference.com's AV metric.  He was an 8 in 1995, and a 9 in 1996.  Never a Pro Bowler but certainly he was a pretty rock solid veteran type of guy, who was also a homegrown product.  

Last season, Fant scored a 4.  Beachum never scored higher than a 7 with the Jets.  Both were band-aid guys who were not drafted by the Jets.

Jones vs. Fant at LT are not exactly the same.

• Upvote 1