Culpepper headed to Dolphins?

NIGHT STALKER

Report: Culpepper deal in place

By Alex Marvez

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted March 9 2006, 7:59 PM EST

The Dolphins are one of the teams that have spoken to the Minnesota Vikings about a possible trade for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, a source said Thursday.

The NFL Network reported a deal to trade Culpepper on Friday was in place but the franchise where he would be headed wasn't identified. Oakland isn't one of those teams, the Network reported, but the Raiders were mulling whether to match or better the offer.

LocalLinks

ESPN reported that the Vikings are seeking to trade Culpepper within the next 24 hours with the Dolphins and Raiders considered the frontrunners.

A source said the Vikings began aggressively shopping Culpepper on Wednesday night after he sent an email to Minnesota media earlier in the day petitioning the franchise for a trade or his release.

Oakland was one of the teams contacted, the source said. The New York Jets, Baltimore, St. Louis and Arizona are also considered potential suitors.

The Vikings are willing to take less than first-round compensation for Culpepper, the source said. If he can't be dealt, Minnesota is expected to release Culpepper before he is due to collect a $6 million roster bonus later this month.

The free-agent signing period is set to begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday, but a 24-hour delay is expected so teams and agents can digest the financial impact of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that was finalized Wednesday night between the NFL and its players' union.

The Dolphins are in the market for a new starting quarterback and Culpepper would fit the bill. Any trade would likely be tied to Culpepper taking a physical examination, as he tore three knee ligaments last October against Carolina.

Before a rift with team management began last season, the 29-year-old Culpepper was considered one of the NFL's top quarterbacks. But the three-time Pro Bowl player experienced a dreadful 2005 campaign before getting injured, having thrown six touchdowns and 12 interceptions while posting a 2-5 starting record.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Culpepper, don't know why, but especially since he won't be able to play until at least September. In Miami he'd have a true #1 again in the mold of Randy Moss with Chris Chambers AND he'd have Randy McMichael. Culpepper could be scary again....along with Miami.

I don't like Culpepper, don't know why, but especially since he won't be able to play until at least September. In Miami he'd have a true #1 again in the mold of Randy Moss with Chris Chambers AND he'd have Randy McMichael. Culpepper could be scary again....along with Miami.

Chambers is a lot shorter than Randy Moss, but he can jump out of the building. He'll need to in order to catch some of Daunte's overthrows.

Chambers is a lot shorter than Randy Moss, but he can jump out of the building. He'll need to in order to catch some of Daunte's overthrows.

Troll, I know that Chambers is smaller but his ups and better then Randy's and he comes down with some insane crabs. He's a little Randy. You know, a real WR, not a guy who makes it off his height.

Troll, I know that Chambers is smaller but his ups and better then Randy's and he comes down with some insane crabs. He's a little Randy. You know, a real WR, not a guy who makes it off his height.

Chambers is reportedly not the first Dolphin to come down with some insane crabs.

DW2? Is that you?

Christ, Chamber is not that good. For every insane catch he makes, he drops one right in the basket. He had a nice season last year, where he made his money in a nice 3 game set. McMichael has serious skills though, too bad he's a punk a## b#tch.

DW2? Is that you?

Christ, Chamber is not that good. For every insane catch he makes, he drops one right in the basket. He had a nice season last year, where he made his money in a nice 3 game set. McMichael has serious skills though, too bad he's a punk a## b#tch.

Hmmm, glad to see some fans not matter the team, just can't post like an educated adult. I guess bias hate is an emotion you simply can't live without, huh?? I agree Chris Chambers isn't the best WR in the league, but he's far better then avg. He's spent his whole career with a below avg. backup QB throwing him the ball. Most of his career Wanny was his HC. Not making excuses, but I think those two factors alone would hinder the production of any WR. It's no coincidence Sabans first season is also Chambers first Pro Bowl appearance.

Hmmm, glad to see some fans not matter the team, just can't post like an educated adult. I guess bias hate is an emotion you simply can't live without, huh?? I agree Chris Chambers isn't the best WR in the league, but he's far better then avg. He's spent his whole career with a below avg. backup QB throwing him the ball. Most of his career Wanny was his HC. Not making excuses, but I think those two factors alone would hinder the production of any WR. It's no coincidence Sabans first season is also Chambers first Pro Bowl appearance.

I never said he was average or below average.

But he is not a great wide reciever. Very good? Yes. Great? Um no.

Culpepper/Chambers/McMichael/ R.Brown

Wow.

Ronnie Brown Blows.

Culpepper could be BETTER with Miami with Chambers and McMichael then he ever was with just Randy I Play When I Want Moss in Minnesota.

Ronnie Brown Blows.

Culpepper could be BETTER with Miami with Chambers and McMichael then he ever was with just Randy I Play When I Want Moss in Minnesota.

You're warped man. Freddie Mitchell is good but Ronnie Brown is bad? Im never sure when to take you serious.

You're warped man. Freddie Mitchell is good but Ronnie Brown is bad? Im never sure when to take you serious.

Ok, ok, ok.

Everyone makes this Freddie Mitchell thing such a big deal. I never said he was the Jerry Rice. I like the guy ok? I think he can be a good NUMBER 4 WIDE RECIEVER somewhere. I don't think he can be a 1, a 2 or a 3, but a good #4 I think he can be.

Ronnie Brown has not shown me anything. He's shown me a diminshed role at Auburn and a decent rookie campagin. Show me 1400 yards next season and then you've earned my respect.

Ok, ok, ok.

Everyone makes this Freddie Mitchell thing such a big deal. I never said he was the Jerry Rice. I like the guy ok? I think he can be a good NUMBER 4 WIDE RECIEVER somewhere. I don't think he can be a 1, a 2 or a 3, but a good #4 I think he can be.

Ronnie Brown has not shown me anything. He's shown me a diminshed role at Auburn and a decent rookie campagin. Show me 1400 yards next season and then you've earned my respect.

He averaged 4.4 yards per carry. If he hadn't been splitting the load with Ricky, he probably would have been the rookie of the year.

He averaged 4.4 yards per carry. If he hadn't been splitting the load with Ricky, he probably would have been the rookie of the year.

EXACTLY.

Splitting the carries!!! The guy is great when he's splitting the carries but what's yet to be seen is if he can do it on his own. He barely got a chance to do it at Auburn and he hasn't done it yet in the NFL, at least not successfuly but I won't judge him on his first 4 professional games.

Vikings | More about potential Culpepper trade

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:58:31 -0800

Don Seeholzer and Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, report the Minnesota Vikings would gain an additional $2.3 million in salary cap space by trading QB Daunte Culpepper. In addition, if he is traded soon, Culpepper's $6 million roster bonus would be paid by his new club. Given Culpepper's knee injury, the return on Culpepper could be minimal for the Vikings. The source said teams would not part with a first-round pick and that a conditional pick was expected. According to FOXSports.com, if the Vikings can't trade him before that bonus is due, they intend to ask him to push the date back in order to continue to work toward a trade. Pat Kirwan, a senior analyst for NFL.com, said because of Culpepper's uncertain physical status, any trade likely will involve future conditional draft choices. "This would be a sliding scale that I've run past a few general managers that are not in the market for Culpepper," Kirwan said. "The draft picks are for 2007. If you trade for the guy and he never plays, the compensation is zero. If he plays eight or less games, the compensation is a second-round pick. If he plays nine or more games, the compensation is a first-round pick. If he throws for 3,000 yards, then it's a first and a third. And if he makes the Pro Bowl next year, it's two first-round picks."

I never said he was average or below average.

But he is not a great wide reciever. Very good? Yes. Great? Um no.

How about you wait and see how Chambers plays when he has a real QB throwing him the ball. I know you don't want him to be a great WR, but you're judging him based on having a some of the worst QB's in the league throwing him the ball and an D minded HC that ran the ball more then any team in history over a two year period with Wanny.

Write this down right now. Dig up this post in 8 months.

The dolphins will not improve on their 9-7 record from last season.

Is that with or without a QB?? If it's without I can't argue, however if we sign a real QB, I think you'll be eating crow. Do you think Miami's first winning season in december in years was just a fluke?? How do you form your opinions, hate?? Doesn't seem like a logical method.

Ok, ok, ok.

He split carries with RW and had a 1000 yrd year his rookie season in a new system with a new HC,OC and Line coach. what did he have to do run for 2000 and 1500 yrd rec. to impress you??

Vikings | More about potential Culpepper trade

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:58:31 -0800

Don Seeholzer and Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, report the Minnesota Vikings would gain an additional $2.3 million in salary cap space by trading QB Daunte Culpepper. In addition, if he is traded soon, Culpepper's $6 million roster bonus would be paid by his new club. Given Culpepper's knee injury, the return on Culpepper could be minimal for the Vikings. The source said teams would not part with a first-round pick and that a conditional pick was expected. According to FOXSports.com, if the Vikings can't trade him before that bonus is due, they intend to ask him to push the date back in order to continue to work toward a trade. Pat Kirwan, a senior analyst for NFL.com, said because of Culpepper's uncertain physical status, any trade likely will involve future conditional draft choices. "This would be a sliding scale that I've run past a few general managers that are not in the market for Culpepper," Kirwan said. "The draft picks are for 2007. If you trade for the guy and he never plays, the compensation is zero. If he plays eight or less games, the compensation is a second-round pick. If he plays nine or more games, the compensation is a first-round pick. If he throws for 3,000 yards, then it's a first and a third. And if he makes the Pro Bowl next year, it's two first-round picks."

Waaayyyyy too frikin steep for me, he has red flags all over the place. No thanks.

He split carries with RW and had a 1000 yrd year his rookie season in a new system with a new HC,OC and Line coach. what did he have to do run for 2000 and 1500 yrd rec. to impress you??

Ronnie Brown did NOT rush for 1,000 yards last year.

Look it up. And for God's sake, the "edit" button is there for a reason.

Archived