Interesting article on complexities of the Shanahan line scheme (pssst takes time)

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I really don't care what other teams do.   Not relevant, every situation is different.  

I also have no idea what Russell Wilson getting sacked a lot has anything to do with Zach Wilson.  Is you point that because Russel Wilson gets sacked a lot -

it's no problem that ZW gets no time? 

or that his receivers are running the wrong routes?

or that his OL aren't following their assignments? 

or that his WR's can't seem to catch.

It's not just one thing.  It's an unmitigated disaster and it will catch up to them.

You don't see how it is relevant?  Every situation is different, but you can decide that these guys are completely incompetent based on this situation?  For something being done in Jacksonville right now and LA and Cincinnati last year?

Russell Wilson getting sacked a lot has to do with, he's not dead yet.  He's not ruined.  I don't know if you've seen much of Seattle's OLine over the last decade, but there were plenty of blown assignments.

It's an unmitigated disaster?  It's three weeks.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I hear ya.  I really do but I think we differ on two key points...

1) I think what's happening to him right now is hindering his development, making it harder and longer for him to become the Franchise QB we all hope he can be.  Putting aside the heightened level of injury risk with this sh*t show.  

Just making him play so you can get value out of him, to me, is entirely counter productive.  It's about the future, not now.

2) I think the rookie QB contract thing is blown out of proportion, particularly by Jet fans.  Paying good players is what you want to do. 

They didn't draft ZW to be QB for 4 years.  They drafted him to be the QB for 15+ years.  They would be ecstatic to make him the highest paid QB in the league if he was worthy of it.

I guess we do differ.  I don't have a problem with the Giants model of keeping the kid on the bench for part of the season, but the idea that we have to keep him in mothballs until everything is set seems a bit much. !.

1,  Fair enough.  Maybe he is ready, maybe he is not.  Maybe he is learning, maybe not.  Where we really differ is this:  The only thing we should be trying to do is maximize the value we get out of the kid.  Developing a great QB is no help if the kid ends up putting in his best years somewhere else. Think of the Chargers with Brees.  Do you think the Chargers are all proud they didn't ruin their little QB?  

Obviously they want him to be great.  They want him to be great here.  Maximizing their value now at the expense of the future may be a mistake. It is up to these guys to decide.  You think they are incompetent for doing what other teams do consistently.  Smart teams.  Teams with quality coaching and front offices.

2. Blown out of proportion?  When you have to pay guys $30-50M per?  The Chiefs will be paying Mahomes 20% of their cap.   If you can make hay before you have to pay these guys you are obviously much better off.  

The much more important part of the equation.  The important part is knowing before you have to pay the guy.  Do you want to be the Bears with Trubisky?  The Dolphins paying Tannehill all that scratch?  Darnold is a perfect example.  Based on circumstance there is no way to be sure if he is even worth the 5th year option,  If they hadn't played him?  They'd have had no idea.  Then you are either spending $20-30M on a guy you aren't sure about, or you are letting your franchise guy walk.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't see how it is relevant?  Every situation is different, but you can decide that these guys are completely incompetent based on this situation?  For something being done in Jacksonville right now and LA and Cincinnati last year?

Russell Wilson getting sacked a lot has to do with, he's not dead yet.  He's not ruined.  I don't know if you've seen much of Seattle's OLine over the last decade, but there were plenty of blown assignments.

It's an unmitigated disaster?  It's three weeks.

Yes, it’s 3 weeks.  Maybe it will be a disaster the whole season. But, we have also seen O line play improve as the season progresses.   There are examples of that. Let’s see what it looks like in week 10 before throwing in the towel 

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this again (after referencing it in the George Fant thread) and almost want to suggest it as required reading as it relates to the system LaFleur has been putting in, its complexities, and the types of personnel needed to run it.  What becomes clear is how important the offensive line is to this whole thing and later, the impact that good TEs can have on the system in terms of the splits for the offensive linemen, the reduction in reach blocks required, etc.

I'd just click the link below to get an easier read.  Not a criticism of @Scott Dierking's copy/paste job in the OP but it's just hard to get that format looking good when pasted from SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/16/why-its-hard-to-copycat-the-shanahan-style-offense-daily-cover