Postseason First Year Opinions/Evaluations of Zach Wilson, Jets QB

Warfish

Postseason First Year Opinions/Evaluations of Zach Wilson  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Zach Wilson's future after his first season?

• Good, in difficult circumstances he rose to the occasion, and I believe he is our future franchise QB.
    • Unsure, I don't know what he will become, and I can't tell or project based on what happened 2021.
    • Doubtful, his play in 2021 was worse than I expected, and I don't think he will be a franchise QB.
  2. 2. Did Zach Fall Short, Meet or Exceed your Expectations in 2021?

• Zach exceeded my expectations, he was better and more productive than I expected.
    • Zach met my expectations, he was exactly what I though he was.
    • Zach failed to meet my expectations, he was worse than I expected.
  3. 3. If on Draft Day, you were given Zachs final actual 2021 Stats, would you have been happy with that and still supported the pick?

• Yes, stats are irrelevant for a rookie QB. After all, Manning sucked his first year too. I would have supported the pick and I support it now too.
    • Uncertain, I don't know if stats matter or not, and don't know if I'd have cared if given his stats on draft day.
    • No, the #2 pick should have done better than that, and if I knew that on draft day I wouldn't have supported the pick.
  4. 4. Do the Jets need to add a QB (Veteran or otherwise) for 2022?

• No, Zach is the man. Backup can be White or whomever. Another QB isn't a priority.
    • Yes, but not a priority, we just need a better backup QB in case Zach gets hurt. White is a JAG and Flacco too old.
    • Yes, we need a QB to compete with or drive Zach to be his best, but I still expect Zach to be the starter, but a better backup would be good if he falters/gets hurt.
    • Yes, we need legit competition at QB, and may the best QB play. Zach didn't earn uncontested status in his rookie year.

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, didnt say that at all.  Am saying his numbers should look better with the team he plays on.  Not the same thing, most top of the draft QBs play with bad teams.

He had a QB rating of 97.3.   He doesn't have a lot of numbers because he only started 2 games.  The numbers he has are really good for a rookie who played in a small program.  In fact based on some other rookies, his numbers are actually great.  

15 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

bUt sAm DiD tHat.  That’s not new on JN either lol.  

Nope, not new at all. 

After Nagle, Sanchez, Geno, Clemens, Hackenberg, Darnold and now Wilson, we're pretty experienced at all the "reasons" given for worst-in-league QB play.

Aaron Rodgers looked way worse than Sam for 2 seasons.

Rodgers sat and learned for three seasons as a backup.

His first season as a starter (2008) he started all 16 games, 63.3% Comp., 4,038 passing yards, 28 TD to 13 INT.

In what universe is that "way worse" than Darnold?  I wish Zach had sat for a year or two as well.

It doesn’t matter where they start it matters where they go.

And when they get there.

If Sam had a better second season he would have been on a good trajectory.  I expect Zach to have a better second season.  

Sam's 1st season: 4-9, 57.7%, 2,865, 17 TD, 15 INT.

Sam's 2nd season:  7-6, 61.9%, 3,024 Passing yards, 19 TD, 13 INT.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Zach, 3-10, 55.6%, 2,334, 9 TD, 11 INT in year 1, can match or exceed that in his year 2.

Zach sucked way more than I expected but in fairness to Zach, I didn't expect Mims to be a bust, Corey Davis to be have hands of stone and Moore to crap his pants out of the gate before looking good and going on IR.   I also didn't expect Becton to wash out because of injury and low T.  

I expected production from last years draft class.  If Becton is a solid LT and Mims is one of the better WR from last years draft class the Jets O might well have provided some support for Zach.  

I'm a little dissapointed in a few things about Zach.  I love his throwing motion and was sold on him being a student of the game.  In reality he is far less polished than I thought he would be based on all the BS about him and Beck and how much he studied.   He's not a quick decision maker and he doesn't really understand how to climb the pocket.   On the plus side he's a much better athlete than I anticipated, he has good foot speed which if he learns when to run will be a huge plus on keeping D's honest.

The Jets have to put some big time talent around him.  The Mims failure and Corey Davis in FA both were a dissaster. 

He looked exactly like a kid who dominated some scrub league college opponents for a little while and thought he’d walk into the big leagues thinking he could just run his “unscriptedzzz” and “off platformzz” nonsense. The good thing is it seems he woke up to reality for the 2nd half of the season. The bad thing is the reality is he’s not a very good NFL QB. My forecast for the future of this team seems pretty obvious. We’re going to add a lot of talent via the draft and FA, and at the end of the season the conversation will be what veteran we can sign to come in and win with that talent.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nope, not new at all. 

After Nagle, Sanchez, Geno, Clemens, Hackenberg, Darnold and now Wilson, we're pretty experienced at all the "reasons" given for worst-in-league QB play.

Rodgers sat and learned for three seasons as a backup.

His first season as a starter (2008) he started all 16 games, 63.3% Comp., 4,038 passing yards, 28 TD to 13 INT.

In what universe is that "way worse" than Darnold?  I wish Zach had sat for a year or two as well.

And when they get there.

Sam's 1st season: 4-9, 57.7%, 2,865, 17 TD, 15 INT.

Sam's 2nd season:  7-6, 61.9%, 3,024 Passing yards, 19 TD, 13 INT.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Zach, 3-10, 55.6%, 2,334, 9 TD, 11 INT in year 1, can match or exceed that in his year 2.

I get where you are coming from.  

You can watch Aaron Rodgers preseason video on YouTube.  I’m in a poor coverage area but I’ll post the link of a 4 min video that I think shows it well.   Aaron Rodgers wasn’t close to ready to start the first 2 seasons. Every mistake Zach was making in the regular season is magnified during Rodgers’ preseason.  That story turned out well in the end.  That is Zach’s high ceiling comp, so that’s relevant.  

True you have seen lots of busts and heard all the excuses but you have only watched busts, so naturally that’s what’s what you will see.  

There were new coaches and a rookie QB this season.  I think they would have figured things out sooner if the coaches had done this before.   Zach improved.  Coaches learned how to work with a rookie.  He’s a different and better player at the end of the season.  That’s a good start.  

Also, watch the preseason all throw video for Zach - he was ready to start.   He handled vanilla well and it was time to learn real NFL football.  

Time will tell. I believe Zach’s ceiling is still sky high and he’s the right guy for the Jets.

I think this is the right link: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5U23QDOcBXI

I think they are two mutually exclusive things. 

I felt that Zach was every bit as bad as I expected him to be pre-draft. I did not want to take him then, and if I had his '21 numbers at the time it would have solidified my decision not to take him.

That said, the fact that Zach was able to essentially prevent turnovers over the final stretch of the season tells me that if nothing else, he is able to take coaching and translate it to the field. As much as I disliked him, that's a major selling point for me. No other QB in our recent history has shown an ability to do that.

So that, coupled with LaFleur (who I think was the brightest spot of the season) and JD's draft capital and salary cap war-chest give me some optimism for the future and Zach's part in it.  

• Upvote 1