Let's Pivot...Focus on Pass Rush and causing Turnovers!

I hear ya...
Good list, definitely need offense, but need a pass rush and an opportunistic defense as well.  
Curious how the Super Bowl teams have done re: Turnovers.  I bet most had pretty positive numbers.  Also curious on the Sack numbers.  
I really don't remember too many SB teams who couldn't get to the QB and who couldn't create turnovers.  Even in this era.  Not saying we need a Top 5 or Top 10 D, but need to be able to rush the QB and create turnovers.  

We can’t afford another sh*tty season from Zach Wilson. One injury to our already piss poor WR corp and Vyncent Smith is on the field. Zach puts another year up like last and now we’re looking to draft his replacement and STILL don’t have any weapons. It’s downright criminal because all the dumbasses next year will be begging for a 3rd year of Zach saying how “he needs weapons”. Guess what, he does need weapons for **** sakes!?! We’ve drafted a QB #2 overall and then half assed every weapon around him with sh*theads 2nd tier cheap options like Corey Davis and CJ Uzomah. It’s ******* criminal and I’m so goddamn sick and tired of it. If you’re not over 40 years old shut the **** up about patience and building. You know nothing. We’ve literally been doing this same sh*t over and over and over….

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I hear ya...

Good list, definitely need offense, but need a pass rush and an opportunistic defense as well.  

Curious how the Super Bowl teams have done re: Turnovers.  I bet most had pretty positive numbers.  Also curious on the Sack numbers.  

I really don't remember too many SB teams who couldn't get to the QB and who couldn't create turnovers.  Even in this era.  Not saying we need a Top 5 or Top 10 D, but need to be able to rush the QB and create turnovers.  

Turnover differential is the stat that counts, and that's driven both by your QB and your DB's mostly.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hex said:

In an offensive world, defense won't do crap if you want to go anywhere. Just watch the Chiefs-Bills game over again. These offenses are too high-powered to go all-in on defense anymore. At least 1 offense player in round 1

Yea plus all the new rules against D make for the need to score. But we need a rusher too 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, MaybeOneDay said:

All this talk about weapons and offense...

I say, let's focus on the Pass Rush and causing Turnovers.

The AFC landscape is loaded with great QB's, great explosive offenses, etc.

So, how do the non-Tyreek Hill Jets compete?

I think the structure is already in place...Look no further than the team our current head coach used to be the D Coordinator for....SF 49ers.

If the Jets are smart, they use their draft capital to focus first and foremost on building a dominant Pass Rush, and building a D which causes TURNOVERS.  All these fancy high end QB's are powerless when they are sitting on the bench.

On O, focus on building a powerful, dominant running game, where Zach can then use play action to create big plays over the top. 

Jets don't need 3 All-Pro WR's to win...they need a strong balanced team who's strengths are a perfect foil to these high powered offenses and high end QB's which they will face in the AFC.

Pressure the QB

Force Turnovers

Play ball-control O

Hit a few explosive plays

Win games

BOOM 

Thank You Joe Douglas, Thank You!!!

Let's review:

Pressure the QB - JJ, in addition to a healthy Carl Lawson...book end pass rushers.  Plus Q, and JFM pushing the pocket up the middle....plus some good depth guys!

Force Turnovers - Pass Rush + Sauce + DJ Reed...Feel we will be much better this year

Play ball-control O - Let's start with Hall + Carter running behind our fortified O-Line...Oh yeah!  Sprinkle in massive upgrades in the TE room...not 1, not 2, but 3!!!!  Moore and G W on the outside, with Corey Davis in the slot....man Mike LaFleur is going to have a field day finding creative ways to deploy our weapons!

Hit a few explosive plays - Hall, Carter, Moore, GW....oh baby!  Defenses will have to come up to play the run, then hit them over the top with our explosive WR's.  I'm so excited just thinking about it.

Win games - Oh yeah, we are winning a lot of games this year, folks.  Buckle up.  We are going to be right in the hunt for the playoffs come December, mark my words.  Gotta stay healthy, of course, but I feel like we are due some luck in that area after a few years of really devastating injuries.

• Upvote 2

BOOM indeed!

Jets can now cover and get after the QB with a horde of DL that will rotate and provide 24/7 pressure.  Sauce...as best corner in this draft... coupled with Reed...gives Jets quality outside coverage.  With a capable Bryce Hall and Echols in reserve.  And you got Michael Carter II in the slot.  JJ was an awesome steel at #26.  Many feel he was in that top 2-4 at Edge.  And in the top 8 on JD's board.   Jacob Martin will be an exciting rotation pass rusher...with his explosive get off at the snap (26th best out of top 125 rushers).  With the DL talent assembled...this could be the year Q gets his 10+ season.  JFM will flourish next to Q too.  And if Carl Lawson comes back at 80%..that's enough to make Jets pass rush really scary.  

I coveted the Breece Hall pick for several of the reasons you described.  And GW pick gives Jets the most complete and versatile wideout on the roster.  The Hall-Carter tag team ramming the rock down the throats of defenses will set up way more effective play action to a dangerous combo of outside wideouts in GW-Moore.  The rest of those weapons will get their share of opportunities too.  LaFleur can now be a mad scientist and dial up effective plays...feeding off of that dominant run attack.  That's been bolstered by Becton's return and the addition of Tomlinson.   

And I expect Zach Wilson to shine with this bunch of additions given to him to operate with.  He finished the season playing against teams like the Eagles-Saints-Dolphins-TB-Bills and didn't throw a INT in his last 5 games.  In that time he looked calm and poised under pressure.  All while his OL and offensive weapons were dropping with injuries.  He will continue not throwing picks and will effectively manage the game and play to the strength of weapons he's been provided with.   

This year's Jets roster allows them to compete with anybody.  Especially with that run attack's capabilities to dictate to the defense on how they must play the Jets to stop the run.  Allowing play action to be way more effective. This should an exciting fun season.

Can't wait!

• Upvote 2