Qb's drafted in the top 5 don't win superbowls anymore

vinnys025

(this article was before this past superbowl)

Since 1990, there have been 35 quarterbacks chosen in the first round of the draft, yet for all that high-end investment, consider the draft credentials of the past three quarterbacks to start for the Super Bowl winner.

# Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft pick who shared time at quarterback as a college senior at Michigan.

# Brad Johnson was chosen in the ninth round in 1992. There is no ninth round now -- there were only seven rounds in the 1995 draft.

# Kurt Warner was an undrafted Arena League alum before becoming league MVP with St. Louis.

Should teams call for a price check from the guy on aisle six instead of handing out million-dollar checks for a quarterback chosen in the first round?

Trent Dilfer is the last quarterback chosen in the first round to start for a Super Bowl winner, but he was with Baltimore in 2000 and not Tampa Bay, the team that drafted him.

In the past 15 years, only one quarterback chosen in the first round has been the starter for a Super Bowl winner: Troy Aikman with Dallas, though that deserves an asterisk. John Elway won back-to-back Super Bowls for Denver. The Colts drafted Elway, but he never played a down for them.

Still, a quarterback has been the top overall pick of the draft for five years running. That shows not only the importance the position holds, but also the attractiveness of a heralded quarterback.

**So before all you of you Cutler, Young, Lionheart fans get all excited, I hope you take the past history into consideration. We will draft Dbrick, and I will post another article in a few minuts to show you why.

Great point here vinny. I don't buy into all of this "Jets covet Leinart" talk one bit. D'Brick or Mario is the way to go. I would even trade down a few spots to address another position, if possible.

i believe that it will be Fergueson or Hawk... Not Williams.

Yeah.... I can make a similar case for never taking an RB in the top five too. In the past twenty years, no RB taken in the top five ever went to a super bowl with the team that drafted him*.

*The lone exception is Tony Dorsett, who went to the Cowboys via a traded draft pick, but they were coming off a super bowl loss the previous year.

It doesn't mean squat. You still take franchise players when you draft that high.

(this article was before this past superbowl)

Since 1990, there have been 35 quarterbacks chosen in the first round of the draft, yet for all that high-end investment, consider the draft credentials of the past three quarterbacks to start for the Super Bowl winner.

# Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft pick who shared time at quarterback as a college senior at Michigan.

# Brad Johnson was chosen in the ninth round in 1992. There is no ninth round now -- there were only seven rounds in the 1995 draft.

# Kurt Warner was an undrafted Arena League alum before becoming league MVP with St. Louis.

Should teams call for a price check from the guy on aisle six instead of handing out million-dollar checks for a quarterback chosen in the first round?

Trent Dilfer is the last quarterback chosen in the first round to start for a Super Bowl winner, but he was with Baltimore in 2000 and not Tampa Bay, the team that drafted him.

In the past 15 years, only one quarterback chosen in the first round has been the starter for a Super Bowl winner: Troy Aikman with Dallas, though that deserves an asterisk. John Elway won back-to-back Super Bowls for Denver. The Colts drafted Elway, but he never played a down for them.

Still, a quarterback has been the top overall pick of the draft for five years running. That shows not only the importance the position holds, but also the attractiveness of a heralded quarterback.

**So before all you of you Cutler, Young, Lionheart fans get all excited, I hope you take the past history into consideration. We will draft Dbrick, and I will post another article in a few minuts to show you why.

The article brings up a lot of good points but the problem is that it is much harder to find a Tom Brady in the 6th round than it is to find a Manning brother or Ben Roethlisberger in the first round.

You're much more likely to find a good Offensive Linemen after the first round. Kevin Mawae was a 2nd round pick by Seattle. Kareem Mackenzie was a 3rd round pick. I'm not sure but Jason Fabini may not have even been drafted. Adrian Jones was an afterthought in the 4th round and he's developing into a solid starter.

I don't think Brick is going to be a bust by any means, but when there's at least dozen other good players at his position in this draft it would be better to fulfill another need at #4 or trade down.

Who do you think Al Davis would rather have right now? Robert Gallery or Ben Roethlisberger?

The article brings up a lot of good points but the problem is that it is much harder to find a Tom Brady in the 6th round than it is to find a Manning brother or Ben Roethlisberger in the first round.

You're much more likely to find a good Offensive Linemen after the first round. Kevin Mawae was a 2nd round pick by Seattle. Kareem Mackenzie was a 3rd round pick. I'm not sure but Jason Fabini may not have even been drafted. Adrian Jones was an afterthought in the 4th round and he's developing into a solid starter.

I don't think Brick is going to be a bust by any means, but when there's at least dozen other good players at his position in this draft it would be better to fulfill another need at #4 or trade down.

Who do you think Al Davis would rather have right now? Robert Gallery or Ben Roethlisberger?

Al Davis had a quarterback at the time he drafted Gallery, its easy to look back NOW and say that, but think in terms of the time he made that choice

Al Davis had a quarterback at the time he drafted Gallery, its easy to look back NOW and say that, but think in terms of the time he made that choice

Rich Gannon was ancient and I don't think had signed Collins yet. Even if they signed Collins he was 32 at the time and obviously not the qb of the future.

To pass over guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Ben Roethlisberger for Gallery is always a big mistake.

Let me throw another light on this..... how many players in the past ten years were taken in the top ten and won a super bowl with the team that drafted them?

Very few. Bad teams draft high, that is why high draft picks rarely get into the super bowl with the team that drafted them. It isn't a position dependent thing.... bad teams pick early.

If you want to know why drafting O-linemen in the first round is practical to winning a superbowl, then just go read the other thread I started called "When it comes to drafting, it all starts in the trenches!". Its a long article, but its a good read on why taking an O-lineman is a good idea for us.

Let me throw another light on this..... how many players in the past ten years were taken in the top ten and won a super bowl with the team that drafted them?

Very few. Bad teams draft high, that is why high draft picks rarely get into the super bowl with the team that drafted them. It isn't a position dependent thing.... bad teams pick early.

This is a good point- teams drafting so high are going to be teams that have many needs. One player does not win championships in football.

That aside my preference with us at 4 is either Brick or Williams and not a QB

Yeah but, how many games do QBs that are picked after the first round win compared to the ones that are picked in the first round? I mean the chances of getting a Tom Brady are miniscule. Usually you get a Bollinger or Kingsbury, guys that start and lose or don't even start at all. I'd rather have a guy like McNabb or even a Manning brother rather than a team full of Bollingers. Top 5 QBs will still win SBs, especially if you let these guys play out their careers. I mean, do you really think Kurt Warner is going to win anything else again? It seemed to be more the Rams offense than him.

im having a very difficult time understanding everyones philosophy on this upcoming draft. i agree, good left tackles, or great ones like BRICK, are hard to come by. But how can we win games without a solid QB? seriously. do you not need a signal caller behind that line to throw touchdown passes? is Chad going to return to his 2002 status this season? i doubt it. is Ramsey the answer? ask joe gibbs. how about Bollinger. with the exception of that late fourth quarter drive versus the Chargers, hes pathetic. and he still couldnt score then. WE NEED a QB. why not draft a franchise QB now?

That aside my preference with us at 4 is either Brick or Williams and not a QB

If the Jets stay at #4 and take any player other then D'Brick or Mario Williams, I'll laugh my a$$ off.

Either one of these guys would be a huge addition to the Jets that could pay immediate dividends for years to come.

Think Cutler walks right in and and sets the league on fire?:eek:

If the Jets stay at #4 and take any player other then D'Brick or Mario Williams, I'll laugh my a$$ off.

Either one of these guys would be a huge addition to the Jets that could pay immediate dividends for years to come.

Think Cutler walks right in and and sets the league on fire?:eek:

Why would we listen to a Patriots fan? I'd rather do the opposite of what you want, since you're competing with us.

The reason I don't agree with this is because if we should take anything from recent history we would be able to say that Defense is what wins SB's.

If you have a top fleet Defense it gives a team the liberty of not having the best QB in the league.

Think about it just because a QB wins a SB that doesn't mean that hes the best QB. Football is the ultimate team game. Sometimes I t hink coaching is more important than having the best players. Good coaches can make average players look really good.

I disagree with this one.

Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Big Ben, Peyton Manning, etc...all very good Qbs who give their team a good chance of winning every Sunday.

Ramsey-pass.

Schaub-why is everyone so high on this guy? He hasn't proven jack ****. He had a couple of decent games, but can he do that on a regular basis? I remember Browning Nagle lit it up in his debut, throwing for close to 400 yards. How did his career pan out?:rolleyes:

Thank you. As I continue to stress how important it is that we have a solid QB. our defense is fine right now. it needs fine tuning. a good solution to improve the defense.....keep Abraham. even paying him the 8 million we are still 14 million under the cap. WOW. hes an awesome addition. everyone is considering him gone already. read the article in the official website from this morning by Gary Myers "jets must get in Lein". the pros seem to agree that we need a QB. Ramsey is not the long term answer. come on....lets get going in the right direction. who wouldnt want Matt Leinart on their team right now?

And another thing...Had Peyton Manning declared himself eligible for the 97 draft, Parcells' 1st year with the Jets, do you think he would still trade down to get Farrior, because a good D is better than a franchise QB?

And another thing...Had Peyton Manning declared himself eligible for the 97 draft, Parcells' 1st year with the Jets, do you think he would still trade down to get Farrior, because a good D is better than a franchise QB?

Parcells COULD have had Manning in 97 but he wouldn't Guarantee that he would have picked him with the Jets first pick in the Draft so he stayed in School!:eek:

Parcells COULD have had Manning in 97 but he wouldn't Guarantee that he would have picked him with the Jets first pick in the Draft so he stayed in School!:eek:

Good call on that one Savage.

I remember distinctly the only reason Manning stayed in school was because Tuna would not guarantee him as the #1 pick.

Archived