Ramsey A-z

Kentucky Jet

Patrick Ramsey-In Depth Analysis (Please do not merge)

-Borrowed from JI!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analysis of Patrick Ramsey’s Skill Set

Patrick Ramsey

Position: Quarterback

College: Tulane

Height: 6-2 ½

Weight: 225

Hometown: Ruston, La.

With the acquisition of Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins, the Jets find them selves with a multifarious and potent player. I was not a very big Ramsey supporter and I truly never knew much about him other than a few clips on Sports Center and a few comments by my friends at Washington. So I did some research, watched some videos, read some analysis from well lauded persons in the NFL business.

Before I start, this is how I grade a quarterback. I am sure many of you have seen this before, but here it goes again so I make it clear where I stand.

I analyze Quarterback’s with the following requirements in mind:

*The higher on the list, the more I value this asset

1. Pass Accuracy

2. Pass Velocity

3. Pass Strength

4. Ability to Read Defenses

5. Awareness (of Pass-Rush)

6. Intangibles (Leader, Reaction to pressure situations)

7. Mechanics

8. Height

9. Collegiate/Pro Production (Win-Loss Record, Surrounding Talent, Injury Record)

10. Weight

For my more in-depth analysis of how I grade a Quarterback, click here:

In-Depth Quarterback Analysis

I hope this clears up some of the questions surrounding Ramsey’s career, potential, strengths, and weaknesses.

1. Patrick Ramsey has great accuracy when given time in the pocket. Has the ability to hit a man deep down the field on either shoulder. He throws with good accuracy underneath and can really rocket the pass between two defenders over the middle, something I have not seen in a NY Jet Quarterback in a long time. In fact, his annual completion percentage has gone up since 2002 by 10%. He usually completes around 60% of all his balls which is pretty decent for all the criticism he is given. He makes sure the ball will get to his receiver but has trouble judging the burst of acceleration of current cornerbacks. He has yet to transition into the speed of both his receivers and opposing cornerbacks. Has the ability to hit people on the move. He also aims for receiver’s numbers which is good but will lead to a bunch of dropped passes because of the congested area the player can catch the ball and will occasionally lead to body catches.

2. Patrick Ramsey has a shotgun on his right hand. He can rocket the ball towards his receivers. Great velocity on his deep tosses and really can get the ball where he wants to with little time passed. He does have a problem of gunning short passes which leads to a number of dropped balls. Definitely has the tools

3. Over-rated really, but Ramsey can throw the deep ball with accuracy. Just watch the video below with all his deep passes to Coles.

4. He is very good and going through his progressions and can find secondary targets all around the field when not rushed. Very smart player who earned one of the most prestigious awards in the nation when he was named a National Football Foundation/College Football Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete, one of sixteen players nationwide, in 2001.

5. TERRIBLE. This is why Ramsey has been labeled with a bust status all his years. He has a torrid time judging the rush and by no means is mobile enough to elude the rush and flush out of the pocket. Has a very suspect back pedal and gets to the vantage point very slowly. He needs to be more patient with the blitz and definitely has to improve his impulsive nature. He lofts a few balls when pressured too much leading to picks. In his three pro seasons, he has amassed huge sack numbers. 23 sacks in his rookie season while 30 in his next season. Ramsey had been sacked in 2003 more than any other Quarterback for his stint at QB. He has to learn to cope under pressure (as in the rush and not as in big game pressure). He is also very slow and predictable in his running and cannot make plays with his legs. Ran a slower 40 yard dash (5.24) than I did (4.87) and I just turned 16 years if age. He is also fumbles often when hit. He has small hands (10"). Mel Kiper Jr. had this to say about Ramsey:

"Questions remain about Ramsey's mobility. He still needs to prove that he's not just a statue in the pocket. He must show enough maneuverability to avoid an initial pass rush, stay away from the sack and create some opportunities when things break down."

6. Great intangibles and is a leader for his team. He is a very tough player who takes the hit when he can get a completion in the process. Ramsey commands the respect of his teammates as well. In fact, Ramsey plays better football when behind. Troy Aikman had this to say:

“He has played some of his best football when Washington is behind. This is remarkable because most quarterbacks post better numbers when they're playing with a lead. When you're behind, teams know you're going to throw and your numbers normally aren't as good. This tells you that the times that Washington has needed Ramsey to play well the most, he has delivered.”

7. Great over the top mechanics and he shows good weight transfer, stepping into his throw. Good spiral and has a great arc on his deep passes making the receiver pluck the ball out of the air with ease. Has a good snap and release in his throws snapping his wrist down ferociously.

8. Has decent height for a Quarterback. Not the prototypical 6’4” but can get it done and 6”2-6’3”

9. Not the greatest. See YJF’s thread as he has a more in-depth analysis of this.

10. Good weight and 225 lbs. Great broad shoulders and as I said before, can take a hit.

Patrick Ramsey has all the potential in the world but has to learn how to fuse those great measurables into one complete package. This is no easy task as many players have the same skill set as Ramsey. He is a possible long shot as a starter and will compete.

:

Awesome post.

Ramsey has alot of talent and has the leadership ability. What he needs to work on is his composure and pocket awareness. Let's see what a change of sceneary and a different coaching regime can do for him.

One thing is for sure: Say what you will about him, but talent wise, we cant complain about Ramsey.

When you break down Patrick Ramsey's career, it's not as bad as one would think. He's just way too inconsistent. He'll have 2-3 good to great games, and then be absolutely awful in the next game. The most important thing for him, beyond any coaching, could just be the reassurance that he's going to be the starting QB. Every time he started in Washington, he knew that if he made a single mistake, the criticism would start. I also don't think this is a lack of mental toughness. Nearly every QB who goes through something like that would fail. Considering Pennington is still around, there is no assurance that he will start. For the benefit of him, it would be good if he knew very early on what his status was going to be entering the season. If he knows early on that he is the starting QB, and nothing short of injury will change that, I think he could succeed. But with Pennington here, he probably doesn't get that assurance.

We'll have to wait and see with this one. I don't think the intention is there that he is the future QB, but at the same time I'm not sure if the team will address the QB spot in a big way in the draft. They wouldn't guarantee that Ramsey is the future QB, but they will see if they can get that as an added bonus.

Ramsey reminds me of Drew Bledsoe. Give him a brick wall for an offensive line and all the time in the world to throw, he is great. If his offensive line has holes, or if he doesn't pick up the blitz he will take the sack or force the throw into coverage. If Tannenbaum and Mangini do not draft a QB with #4, Ferguson is a must with Ramsey and Pennington as the QBs.

Archived