Garrett Wilson on the importance of not backing down!

Maxman

On 8/15/2022 at 10:34 PM, pointman said:

Someone on ESPN radio this morning said that GW has had a decent amount of drops in camp and that it was 'something to keep an eye on'. Thats not good. I believe it was Cimini, so take it with a teeny tiny grain of salt.

Way to miss the point and derail the thread 

22 hours ago, pointman said:

Damn it. Thanks for the heads up. That isn't what I wanted to hear. I know zero about him and Ohio St now, but judging by your av and sig you probably are on top of things. So is Ruckert going to be our long term solution at TE? Is he our new Keller?

Those are two different questions.  If Ruckert is our longterm TE then he's not like Dustin Keller (who was good but not great).

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Those are two different questions.  If Ruckert is our longterm TE then he's not like Dustin Keller (who was good but not great).

Keller was far better than anything we had for a decent amount of time before his knee went kablooey. Getting that type of production for the next half dozen years or more would be faaaaantastic.

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

Ruckert will be our Jason Witten when the dust settle.. thankfully he isn't be asked to carry the load the next 1-2 yeras.

GW is an NFL talent WR, and will make plays up and down the field. I'm just saying he can be a bit clumpsy; tripping over his feet here and there, concentration drop etc.. the natural talent is there, so i'm not worried - but dominant WR1? In a perfect world He, Moore and Mims gel together

It sounds like the Jets have a lot of potential high-quality WR2 types.  I'm not sure that Moore or Wilson ever become that Alpha WR1 that teams covet.  Doesn't mean they won't be good or even very good, but will they scare teams like other elite WR1s do?  As of now, I don't see that happening but would love to be surprised.

IMO, there's nothing worse that drops.  Wilson has to really reduce that to earn trust.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Keller was far better than anything we had for a decent amount of time before his knee went kablooey. Getting that type of production for the next half dozen years or more would be faaaaantastic.

I agree about the production.  But saying he's better than what the Jets had for a decade isn't really saying much.  We should aim higher.

Not saying that should be the EXPECTATION for Ruckert because becoming a Top 10 TE in the NFL is probably a bit too much to ask, but we need NFL average play out of the TE spot.  The Jets haven't had that in years.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I agree about the production.  But saying he's better than what the Jets had for a decade isn't really saying much.  We should aim higher.

Not saying that should be the EXPECTATION for Ruckert because becoming a Top 10 TE in the NFL is probably a bit too much to ask, but we need NFL average play out of the TE spot.  The Jets haven't had that in years.

We should aim higher, but with the slop we have run out there all over the field as "NFL players", I don't want to get greedy. Give me SOMETHING to cheer about and not just in the off season prior to the first preseason game. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, pointman said:

We should aim higher, but with the slop we have run out there all over the field as "NFL players", I don't want to get greedy. Give me SOMETHING to cheer about and not just in the off season prior to the first preseason game. 

I'm honestly excited for the Jets to be consistently fielding NFL "average" talent across the field.  It's once you have that level of players that you can start upgrading to home run hitters in various spots. The Jets have been filling potholes for years, just trying to get by with the Dan Feeneys and Ryan Griffins of the world.  Let's get to good so we can shoot for great!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm honestly excited for the Jets to be consistently fielding NFL "average" talent across the field.  It's once you have that level of players that you can start upgrading to home run hitters in various spots. The Jets have been filling potholes for years, just trying to get by with the Dan Feeneys and Ryan Griffins of the world.  Let's get to good so we can shoot for great!

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. I want All Pros everywhere, but after fielding almost non-competitive pieces I just want solid and reliable. Then I will look for All Pro talent.

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

Airborne all the way! We should definitely talk in the future.

I retired at USAG Humphreys, jumped to FMWR and was promoted to Athletic Director at Camp Casey. That was an awesome job. I worked for DPTMS, Garrison prior to retirement and it was equivalent to the G-3 but with civilian liasons. I basically was in direct contact with the muscle movers of the base and had plenty resources to run the job.

At Camp Casey, I remember meeting all the 1sgs and commanders to promote the programs and had a softball league of 32 teams, flag football about the same and many other sports. They faithfully supported the programs in order to keep the soldiers from ajouima's claws! 

We ran so many events and soldiers morale was always high. I miss being around them.

Sounds awesome - nice way to retire etc! Will reach out to you in a few days once the dust settles around getting two kids out to college, one for the first time. And dealing with the feels for the one who is left behind and out to middle school

• Upvote 1