Official Why is everyone on Cutlers **** Thread

Xcel2NuFX

it's bad for the fans but the truth is that the Senior Bowl game is meaningless. The practices, with guys like Belly and Saban in the closed sessions, that's where the money is made. That's where first impressions are made.

From monday to wednesday of Senior Bowl week Jay Cutler was the most impressive player in Mobile and it wasn't close. That's when this guy solidified his elite status.

The game itself was meaningless. why you ask? besides the fact that everyone with any power left town several days prior, the offenses were running the same vanilla plays all week long, eventually the defenses picked them up... which led to Cedric Griffin's "great break" on the INT. Also he had like 5 wr/te drops in the game, that dude Hagan was supposed to be great, he couldn't catch a cold. Bottom line it doesn't matter as much as the practices. People used to say that and I would disagree with them, turns out I was dead wrong. What is more significant a wednesday practice session with 30 GMs in the audience or a saturday exhibition game with 0 Gm's in the audience? The former is higher pressure.

But if the schemes are vanilla and Cutler is above everyone else tallent wise shouldn't he still be able to perform at a high level? Unless he is not a competitive person.

But if the schemes are vanilla and Cutler is above everyone else tallent wise shouldn't he still be able to perform at a high level? Unless he is not a competitive person.

from what I saw the throws were there, but the players weren't catching the ball. Even Dominque byrd had an uncharacteristic drop.

I have no problem with cutlers ability. I also have no problem with matt Lienhart. Lienhart does have the one thing he displayed to me numerous times, and that is the ability to lift his team. I am not saying cutler does not have it, I just have not personally seen it. THis "we are down by six but we are gonna march dow and get it sdone and win this game" additude that infests the rest of the team is one of the most important qualities a qb can possess. On a pure physical basis Cutler has it hands down. It is his head that I do not know about. If it is brady like you have franchise QB, if it is wrong you have Jeff george. No one on this board can answer if the QB head is there. Have to trust Tangini and schott and the numerous physc tests that they will run to determine if Jay has what it takes. If he is our pick at number 4 I will trust that they have done thier homework. If they pass we will sit back and see if we made the mistake in passing.

Pass On Matt Shoulder & Knee Problems (chad All Over Again)pass On Cutler Played No Name Schools In A Weak Div. Not Going To Change My Mind Just B/c He Got A Little Hot At The End Of The Season. If We Take A Qb At #4 It Has To Be Vince! He's A Gamer With A Tremendous Upside It's A Win , Win For The Jets.. P.s. He Is Bigger,stronger,faster Than These 2 Guys Put Together

Cutler Played No Name Schools In A Weak Div.

hate to break the news to you but the SEC is arguably the toughest division in NCAA 1-A - maybe ACC is just as tough but the SEC is a heavyweight division and Cutler has played the best.

hate to break the news to you but the SEC is arguably the toughest division in NCAA 1-A - maybe ACC is just as tough but the SEC is a heavyweight division and Cutler has played the best.

SEC is a perennial powerhouse,,what this guy talkin about?

And failed.

And, from everything that's been said about him, he's just another Jeff George. And, we all remember what happened last time we took a SEC player who came from out of nowhere with the number four pick, right? We drafted Tx's favorite player. Who's done exactly nothing of significance in the NFL.

Pass On Matt Shoulder & Knee Problems (chad All Over Again)pass On Cutler Played No Name Schools In A Weak Div. Not Going To Change My Mind Just B/c He Got A Little Hot At The End Of The Season. If We Take A Qb At #4 It Has To Be Vince! He's A Gamer With A Tremendous Upside It's A Win , Win For The Jets.. P.s. He Is Bigger,stronger,faster Than These 2 Guys Put Together

If we haven't traded down by draft day we should take either Young or Cutler at #4. Drafting either one of those guys will give us plenty of leverage in trades for multiple picks. If we don't make a trade, we have a potential future franchise qb.

Vince Young is a beast. Not only can he make plays with his feet but from what I saw of him his junior year at Texas the guy has a very strong arm. Young can definitely throw the ball, probably harder than Leinart. It will take him a year or two to adjust to the nfl, like it does for most nfl qb's, but once he starts he will give defenses fits.

Cutler is a risk but he has a high payoff. His win/loss record wasn't his fault because he was playing for basically a Div II team that was stuck in the stacked SEC. Cutler can be either the next Ben Roethlisberger or the next Mike McMahon.

Raiders, Vikings and Cards will all be interested in trading up for one of these guys. Either Young or Cutler is the way to go.

And failed.

And, from everything that's been said about him, he's just another Jeff George. And, we all remember what happened last time we took a SEC player who came from out of nowhere with the number four pick, right? We drafted Tx's favorite player. Who's done exactly nothing of significance in the NFL.

Jeff George had what, a 15 on the Wonderlic? Cutler was in the in to upper 20's. For every JG you could pick, I could find another QB to argue the point. Forget about previous drafts and players.... it's about what a player's ability is.

For those that say Cutler can't win, I can say Leinart won't be able to deal with losing. Both statements are meaningless, and lack objectivity. It's about the player, not the team he played with in college.

And failed.

for the record the dude started 32 games and has been an impact player in many of them, that's not nothing of significance. Did you see Drob bury Tomlinson in the playoff game two years ago? the game where he won AFC player of the week? all of these things are significant.

As for Cutler he didn't fail. He beat Tennessee. He took florida to double OT.

It seems like everyone's got their opinions and they aren't budging, hey that's fine. You all know my opinion, time will tell who was right - that includes DROB if anyone wants to call a 24 year old player who is about as old as many DT prospects in the draft right now, a bust - well that's just dopey. There is a difference between not living up to draft expectations and being a bust. A bust has a negative impact on the team, a guy who doesn't live up to high expectations can make positive impact.

for the record the dude started 32 games and has been an impact player in many of them, that's not nothing of significance. Did you see Drob bury Tomlinson in the playoff game two years ago? the game where he won AFC player of the week? all of these things are significant.

It seems like everyone's got their opinions and they aren't budging, hey that's fine. You all know my opinion, time will tell who was right - that includes DROB if anyone wants to call a 24 year old player who is about as old as many DT prospects in the draft right now, well that's just dopey.

So... because he beat Tennessee once, in a down yaer, and didn't beat Florida, but took them to overtime, he's the best thing since sliced bread? Starting 32 games, at a program like Vanderbuilt, it's not anything big. John Navarre started 40 plus games at Michigan, an actual big time school, won most of them, and yet, he was only a 6th round pick. So... don't use games started as a stat to prop up your boy. We get that you like him.He's not the right pick for the Jets, however.

And DRob did his job and made a tackle? Congrats. You should be doing jumping jacks. And yeah, he's 24, but he also has a knee condition that isn't getting any better. I'd love for him to get better, to become a great DT, but it just doesn't seem likely. And, two years ago? He was playing next to Jason Ferguson. DRob is a player who is made to look great by other players. He doesn't make other players great.

Comparing Wonderlic scores is a great way to tell how a player turns out. George had a 15, Cutler had a 20 something. Yeah? And? He's been reported to have the Jeff George attitude, and isn't a good leader.

So... because he beat Tennessee once, in a down yaer, and didn't beat Florida, but took them to overtime, he's the best thing since sliced bread? Starting 32 games, at a program like Vanderbuilt, it's not anything big. John Navarre started 40 plus games at Michigan, an actual big time school, won most of them, and yet, he was only a 6th round pick. So... don't use games started as a stat to prop up your boy. We get that you like him.He's not the right pick for the Jets, however.

there's a misunderstanding - DROB started 32 NFL games - cutler was a 4 year starter though and recent history has proven 4 year starters are often successful at the next level.

Why does everyone think him beating Tennesee is some great accomplishment? The Vols were thoroughly awful this year and no where near the Vols of old. Beating a bad team who is usually good doesn't make you a superb player.

Hmm,

Ok lets see...

Have you checked Vanderbilt's football record the last 16 years?

1990 - 1win 10 losses

1991 - 5 wins 6 losses

1992 - 4 wins and 7 losses

1993 - 5 wins and 6 losses

1994 - 5 wins and 6 losses

1995 - 2 wins and 9 losses

1996 - 2 wins and 6 losses

1997 - 3 wins and 8 losses

1998 - 2 wins and 9 losses

1999 - 5 wins and 6 losses

2000 - 3 wins and 8 losses

2001 - 2 wins and 9 losses

2002 - 2 wins and 10 losses

Wow, a college version of the Jets.

Jeff George had what, a 15 on the Wonderlic? Cutler was in the in to upper 20's. For every JG you could pick, I could find another QB to argue the point. Forget about previous drafts and players.... it's about what a player's ability is.

Can we possibly overrate the meaning of the wonderlic anymore? Is the wonderlic going to be posted in between the guy's qb rating and td's/int's? It's just a stupid friggin test that has nothing to do with what a guy does on the football field.

I want to know what Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf's wonderlic scores were. I'm sure they were through the roof.

Can we possibly overrate the meaning of the wonderlic anymore? Is the wonderlic going to be posted in between the guy's qb rating and td's/int's? It's just a stupid friggin test that has nothing to do with what a guy does on the football field.

I want to know what Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf's wonderlic scores were. I'm sure they were through the roof.

The point was that Jeff George had not only his Wonderlic score that raised a red flag, his attitude in interviews did as well. JG had a lot of red flags. I was just trying to say that most comparisons don't hold water. Marino had what, a 16? he also had the mary jane problem. He turned out pretty OK. Again, the point is comparisons generally don't hold up. Each player is an individual, and has to be evaluated on that, and that alone, not comparisons.

The point was that Jeff George had not only his Wonderlic score that raised a red flag, his attitude in interviews did as well. JG had a lot of red flags. I was just trying to say that most comparisons don't hold water. Marino had what, a 16? he also had the mary jane problem. He turned out pretty OK. Again, the point is comparisons generally don't hold up. Each player is an individual, and has to be evaluated on that, and that alone, not comparisons.

I'm definitely with you there. If Marino hadn't bombed the wonderlic we probably would have drafted him instead of Ken O'Brien. Just goes to show how much attention we need to pay to that test.

I'm definitely with you there. If Marino hadn't bombed the wonderlic we probably would have drafted him instead of Ken O'Brien. Just goes to show how much attention we need to pay to that test.

marino dropped due to coke showin up in the test at combine

So did Chris Weinke, Matt Mauck, and Charlie Ward. Want to sign them?

Come on man Chris Weinke was 29 by the time he was drafted into the NFL, Matt Mauck is 6'1" and Charlie Ward was maybe 190 pounds at best.

Leinart is 6'5" 225-230 pounds and led his team to 3 straight... I don't think you can really compare these guys to Leinart Troll as much as you would like to

Steve McNair took forever to develope into a solid NFL QB and has been mediocre more often than not. Rice was the greatest reciever to ever play the game. He got to where he was by working hard and it happens a lot more often that WR's develope later in their college careers and thats why you get guys like Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens that play for smaller schools and don't get drafted in the 1st round.

Someone said before that Jay Cutler took a below average team and made them respectable. Well Leinart took a great team and made them Champions. What are we expecting of a QB? Are we looking for a guy that we know can make us respectable despite the lack of talent we currently have? or are we looking at a guy that we know if we build a team around him he can take them to the next level.

I personally don't care that he had a few good games against Florida and Tennessee he played mediocre against weak schools like Middle Tennesse State. How does a team beat a top 20 team and also lose to a no-name school thats only other wins came against Troy, and FAU....

Doesn't add up does it? Well regardless I am not convinced of Cutler after he was talked up for the Senior Bowl and then didn't deliver. 6-19 passing with 1 TD and 1 INT that doesn't exactly scream #4 pick in the NFL draft to me.

I would feel much more confident choosing a QB that could say he only lost 1 game in his career.

WELL said and I agree! BIT sticks up for him all the time but I have some SEC awareness and CUTLER just has NOT impressed me as a QB- yet! He could , in time but as of right now, he is NOT a CHAMPION- type QB. I wish him well though and who knows, I might have to root for him! LOl

WELL said and I agree! BIT sticks up for him all the time but I have some SEC awareness and CUTLER just has NOT impressed me as a QB- yet! He could , in time but as of right now, he is NOT a CHAMPION- type QB. I wish him well though and who knows, I might have to root for him! LOl

I agree... I'm not trying to argue Cutler doesn't have the tools to be an excellent QB. Everyone knows hes got the gun and the athletic ability but had Leinart came out after last year he would have been undeniably the #1 pick in the draft.

I hope Cutler is the real deal it's a great story but anyone here claiming to have seen enough of Jay Cutler playing at Vanderbilt to know he will be a succesful pro is lying.

Mel Kiper Jr. recently said I'm not sure why the Saints went and got Drew Brees when they would have been better off drafting Leinart. Mel Kiper Jr. IMO is the Dali lama of college football, and if he would pick Leinart over Cutler thats all I need to hear to believe it.

Archived