How many of these guys do you keep around vs cut to create space?

AFJF

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I don’t even know if that is true. Look at the guys in the 10 mil range. Davis production this year even with missing games is about the same as all of them if not better. I get that the idea is to bring in replacement with the cap space saved. I brought up Davis because guys in his salary range are about the same as him or worse even with his injury history 

The one guy who kind of intrigues me is Paris Campbell he usually lines up in the slot and is having a decent year. Loved him coming out potential Berrios replacement 

Davis won’t get $10MM from anybody after becoming this unreliable. This is a player I liked probably more than most here, but this latest visit to the DL has me joining the crowd of those who just feel he’s not reliable enough to count on. Any given week you don’t know if he’s going to leave in the first half & then stay there for 2-7 weeks.

Another move might be to put the Jets summer-squeeze on him: wait until well after the draft & then further than that after the post-7/1 shuffling, and then approach him with an ultimatum for a $5MM pay cut, seeing how he’s not getting more than that in late July. Do that and I’m on board with bringing him back. But the comp pick - your original objection - doesn’t even factor into it a little bit.

Keeping overpriced veterans for 2023 to maybe/hopefully recoup as many as 3 late round draft picks in 2025 is like quitting your job to save the cost of filling your gas tank for your commute. Yeah sure you’re saving a little, but you’re losing far more than you’re saving.

• Upvote 1

The Jets tried to get by with using the 2 pick on a QB, with low priced backups, and spend more on other positions than other teams would.

The Jets cap spend on QBs in 2022 was ZW ($8mm), JF ($1.1mm), and MW ($2.5mm).

I think its safe to say that the Jets need to spend at least $30mm total on QB next year.  So a bunch of the guys described above need to go.

No QB is going to do well without an OL.  I would keep Tomlinson one more year until we can get it together. I too would rather see AVT there, but he can play three other positions on the OL.  He will end up playing there, particularly if the Jets keep signing older OL who get hurt.  

The Jets need to invest in the OL and QB.   They can't carry a DE and injured WR.  They need another WR, particularly a bigger one.   Mims will not work out either.  

• Upvote 1

The dead cap hits on Mosley and Laken are too high for it to be worth cutting them. Corey Davis as a 3rd WR and Berrios as 4th WR / Returner are being paid appropriate to their production.

Carl Lawson is not living up to that deal. I would look to negotiate a pay cut. If not, cut him. Huff gives us leverage. He should be the starter.

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets tried to get by with using the 2 pick on a QB, with low priced backups, and spend more on other positions than other teams would.

The Jets cap spend on QBs in 2022 was ZW ($8mm), JF ($1.1mm), and MW ($2.5mm).

I think its safe to say that the Jets need to spend at least $30mm total on QB next year.  So a bunch of the guys described above need to go.

No QB is going to do well without an OL.  I would keep Tomlinson one more year until we can get it together. I too would rather see AVT there, but he can play three other positions on the OL.  He will end up playing there, particularly if the Jets keep signing older OL who get hurt.  

The Jets need to invest in the OL and QB.   They can't carry a DE and injured WR.  They need another WR, particularly a bigger one.   Mims will not work out either.  

You know your sh*t. 

Agents structure contracts to have penalties built into them, so teams are discouraged from cutting players. 

The McGovern, Van Roten (on Bills) and Fant contracts all had expensive optional third years that no one thought the Jets would take up.  They did.  

The Jets may have to cut some players where they actually take meaningful dead money hits.  That is a shame.  

I will be anxiously awaiting what their QB move is.  The Jets will be picking between 10-18 likely.  I like the idea of taking another QB.  Keep trying until they get it right.  

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Except CJ Mosley. Keep him. Extend him. Give him more money.

Give him all the money.

If you wanted to kill me, don’t pussyfoot around with this subtle sarcasm. Go right for the jugular & with your undue Mosley compliments, also lobby to bring back Herm, Sanchez, Martin, D.Robertson, D.Lee, Adams,…

giphy.gif 

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Yea, Mosley is not an issue. He's the starting middle linebacker on a team that is top 5 in scoring defense and he calls the plays out there. 

Berrios is good depth.

Lawson is ok to bring back - at a pay cut.

Corey Davis and Laken Tomlinson can go. 

Mosley just made two worse than rookie plays in back to back games that may have cost us the playoffs.  He has seriously lost a step, he racks up tackles but so what all linebackers rack up tackles.