Jets Hire Hackett to run Offense

JetNation

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Wrapping up one of their most important coordinator searches in recent memory, the New York Jets are hiring former Denver Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett as their offensive coordinator.  This, according to the New York Jets official twitter account.

We've hired Nathaniel Hackett as our offensive coordinator.

? https://t.co/nP2ldF4SfL pic.twitter.com/ZhuJdZWBz6

— New York Jets (@nyjets) January 26, 2023

Hackett, who was recently fired by Denver after a failed stint as their head coach, has strong ties to Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, whose name has been popping up as a possible Jets target in recent days.

But with or without Rodgers, the Jets did the right thing in targeting a play caller who has experience and success in that role.  The las name may rub some fans the wrong way as Hackett’s father Paul oversaw a disappointing and vanilla offense back in the early 2000’s.

But Hackett is his own man (and coach) so as difficult as it might be, giving Hackett some time to show what he can do is the right thing to do.  And if he can help lure Rodgers to 1 Jets Drive, things are going to get interesting in a hurry.

The post Jets Hire Hackett to run Offense appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I am fine with Hackett as OC, dont love it but its fine. Adding experience to the coaching staff 

I absolutely do not want to take on Aaron Rodgers absurd contract and prematurely burn the 2025 season  with his nutty cap hit.

Actually, don’t have the link, but a breakdown of the cap hit is 48M over the next 2 years. So, if that is the case it is 24M per each of the next 2 years which is a cap hit that is very manageable. Heck, there are QBs out there that are pretty bad that will make that much. And with just one good season each both Geno Smith and Daniel Jones will both make probably 10M more than that per year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I am fine with Hackett as OC, dont love it but its fine. Adding experience to the coaching staff 

I absolutely do not want to take on Aaron Rodgers absurd contract and prematurely burn the 2025 season  with his nutty cap hit.

I don't know what the going/market rate is for a QB who costs alot of money and is likely to play only two years at a high level.  

I would hope it is not a first round draft pick, particulary a high one, but it could be.  Seems like a deal with the devil.

But yes, we used the 2 pick on a QB that cost $8mm/year on average who never made the playoffs, and may not play again. 

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Actually, don’t have the link, but a breakdown of the cap hit is 48M over the next 2 years. So, if that is the case it is 24M per each of the next 2 years which is a cap hit that is very manageable. Heck, there are QBs out there that are pretty bad that will make that much. And with just one good season each both Geno Smith and Daniel Jones will both make probably 10M more than that per year. 

@jetsons @UnknownJetFan

The issue I'm pointing out is in 2025 he carries a cap hit of 59 mil or a dead cap hit of of almost 25 mil because the '25 and '26 dead cap hits would get pushed into '25 together.

So in 2025 we're either paying him 60 mil to play or 25mil to not play. All I'm saying is I dont love that scenario and the contract needs to be reworked.

Screenshot_20230126-163735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5994d68a2f4afb0f65eacfd275c95f92.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

@jetsons I dont get what's funny. If you have some info on the contract breakdown that changes those numbers I'm all for hearing it. Info on what if any GB has to eat on it etc. The contract could be more platable then I've been led to believe.

I'd like Rodgers under the right circumstances. Looming age cliff and anyday pending retirement be damned he's still playing at a very high level. He would be my top choice in a vacuum but the circumstances have to come into play. I want him here as long as the bet is hedged against it blowing up in our face. A '24 1st and 3rd and reworked contract I could get behind.

I'm not in the get an aging Rodgers and everything else be damned boat. I'm in the hopefully we can make it work and it doesn’t hamstring us in the future boat. Either way it looks like we will be the destination he lands on.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Isn't the big problem with his cap hit the later years?  Just when we will have to start paying Sauce, Garett Wilson, avt, Breece hall etc

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The best part is he runs a very similar system to MiLF.  Everyone won't be starting from scratch trying to learn a second system in as many years.  

Yup. And that offense he ran in Denver was far worse than the Jets with better personnel.  But nobody will have to learn a new system. They can keep playing a worse version of the same system.  

39 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

@jetsons I dont get what's funny. If you have some info on the contract breakdown that changes those numbers I'm all for hearing it. Info on what if any GB has to eat on it etc. The contract could be more platable then I've been led to believe.

I'd like Rodgers under the right circumstances. Looming age cliff and anyday pending retirement be damned he's still playing at a very high level. He would be my top choice in a vacuum but the circumstances have to come into play. I want him here as long as the bet is hedged against it blowing up in our face. A '24 1st and 3rd and reworked contract I could get behind.

I'm not in the get an aging Rodgers and everything else be damned boat. I'm in the hopefully we can make it work and it doesn’t hamstring us in the future boat. Either way it looks like we will be the destination he lands on.

verbose... all I have to say is... JD... Get it Done. 

13 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Cool ... is this the last chance at a chamionship before you  fade into oblivion so you dont care what the final shot at a ring costs the team long term? Or are you just shortsighted?

myopic... no... realist... Yes... WIN NOW... PERIOD.