Zach…….

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I saw you post this quote twice now, but it doesn't seem to be true. If you can provide a link to where Rodgers ever famously said it's "not his job" to mentor, help, develop, etc. with regards to Love (or any other young Packers QB), I'd be interested in seeing it. 

There's little doubt at a time he was justifiably shocked (and less than thrilled) that, as a current contender, Green Bay's first foray into drafting first-round offense in a decade was on another QB to someday replace him in the future, rather than use it to add a needed + immediate round-1 talent starter to help them get back to the SB in the present. Excuse me -- two picks that year, seeing how Green Bay traded their 4th round pick to move up 4 slots to draft Love.

The only "not my job" comments I can find are attributed to Brett Favre.

• Initially when Rodgers was drafted, Favre said "My contract doesn't say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play."
  • Then in retirement, after the Packers drafted Love, Favre - not Rodgers - was the one to say "Aaron's job is not to mentor Jordan Love"
  • I am unable to find anywhere Rodgers himself said that as either a direct quote or even in principle.

He's had - and maintained - good relationships with other Packers backup QBs who - like Zach Wilson certainly would be - were no threats to his job (and even with Love, not an immediate threat).

This article is from May 15 after the Packers drafted Love:

Rodgers, however, said he’ll be there for Love, the 26th pick from Utah State.

“I would say the same that I’ve done with all my backup quarterbacks,” Rodgers said in a conference call on Friday. “I feel great about those relationships that I developed over the years. Many of them are still really close friends. I consider Matt Flynn a very close friend. I still have great contact with a lot of guys I played with over the years. Deshone and Manny (Wilkins) to Tim and I are really close. Brett Hundley and I keep in touch all the time. Scotty Tolzien and I talk from time to time.

“So, I’ve had great relationships over the years with those guys and I’d expect that same type of relationship with Jordan. He didn't get asked to be drafted by the Packers. He’s not to blame at all. He’s just coming in excited about his opportunity. We had a great conversation the day after the draft and I’m excited to work with him. He seems like a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Similar story, not heavily recruited out of college (and) kind of made his way at Utah State. We’ve had some great conversations.”

Yeah there's some subtle passive-aggressiveness in referring to Love as merely his backup, but in truth Love was clearly going to be his backup that year at a minimum & it's doubtless the team said that to him outright (in addition to it being obvious enough it didn't need saying).

Once the dust settled & a microphone/camera wasn't in his face, outside of his known drama + flakiness with regard to his extension or retirement threats to host Jeopardy! full-time, it seems Rodgers was a good teammate to Love (or at least not a bad one).

ALLEN PARK -- Tim Boyle spent the past three years backing up Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay before signing a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions earlier this offseason. Boyle wasn’t looking to discuss the drama going down on the other side of Lake Michigan but said he hopes both sides can figure it out, calling Rodgers one of his best friends and role models. The new Lions quarterback did make sure to share two takeaways that stand out from his time with the reigning MVP.

“When you’re around someone elite like Aaron Rodgers, you always want to pick their brain and ask those questions, and he was awesome to me in making sure he understood what he was seeing,” Boyle said from Detroit’s minicamp. “So I see the game a little differently now being around him, and like I said -- like (Lions quarterbacks coach) Mark Brunnel, he’s seen so many snaps, been in every situation. He has a wealth of knowledge, so I was fortunate enough to be with him for three years, pick his brain, and apply what I’ve learned from him on the field now.”

I mean, I get the less than fan-thrilling angle with regard to his contract/retirement since it was very public, but the other QBs on the Packers paint a picture of the exact opposite of a guy who tells the QB2/QB3 on the roster to eff off & they're on their own.

Once Rodgers is officially off the team, or after Love's become a solid or better starter, he may very well detail Rodgers being an arrogant, aloof douche to him, or say Rodgers ignored and/or outright refused to help him or say he's a QB not a QB coach. Thus far it's hard to find anyone saying anything like that between those two (including from the two horses' mouths). 

Those are good points.  I wouldn’t expect any vet to be signed as a starter and then be expected to mentor the young guy.  Kurt Warner and Eli come to mind as do Todd and Namath. But it looks like this could be a plus. Zach said he tries to emulate Rodgers game so maybe this is just another reason the jets are after him so much.

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Those are good points.  I wouldn’t expect any vet to be signed as a starter and then be expected to mentor the young guy.  Kurt Warner and Eli come to mind as do Todd and Namath. But it looks like this could be a plus. Zach said he tries to emulate Rodgers game so maybe this is just another reason the jets are after him so much.

Lol no.. Jets are going after Rodgers so much, because they finally admitted how bad Zach Wilson is. I do feel bad for the kid. The entire team has been begging for ANY other qb to come here and play. Ready to make more T-shirts with any other qb not named Wilson on it. If Aaron comes here, he will have a lot of work to do learning new plays, players, etc , etc. I doubt he will have much time to waste on a qb3 who may not even be on the team come September.

• Upvote 1

Lol no.. Jets are going after Rodgers so much, because they finally admitted how bad Zach Wilson is. I do feel bad for the kid. The entire team has been begging for ANY other qb to come here and play. Ready to make more T-shirts with any other qb not named Wilson on it. If Aaron comes here, he will have a lot of work to do learning new plays, players, etc , etc. I doubt he will have much time to waste on a qb3 who may not even be on the team come September.
Basically completely wrong .. but got a chuckle

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Aaron Rodgers isn’t doing s with Wilson here. Dreamers gonna dream 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I saw you post this quote twice now, but it doesn't seem to be true. If you can provide a link to where Rodgers ever famously said it's "not his job" to mentor, help, develop, etc. with regards to Love (or any other young Packers QB), I'd be interested in seeing it. 

There's little doubt at a time he was justifiably shocked (and less than thrilled) that, as a current contender, Green Bay's first foray into drafting first-round offense in a decade was on another QB to someday replace him in the future, rather than use it to add a needed + immediate round-1 talent starter to help them get back to the SB in the present. Excuse me -- two picks that year, seeing how Green Bay traded their 4th round pick to move up 4 slots to draft Love.

• Initially when Rodgers was drafted, Favre said "My contract doesn't say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play."
  • Then in retirement, after the Packers drafted Love, Favre - not Rodgers - was the one to say "Aaron's job is not to mentor Jordan Love"
  • I am unable to find anywhere Rodgers himself said that as either a direct quote or even in principle.

He's had - and maintained - good relationships with other Packers backup QBs who - like Zach Wilson certainly would be - were no threats to his job (and even with Love, not an immediate threat).

“I would say the same that I’ve done with all my backup quarterbacks,” Rodgers said in a conference call on Friday. “I feel great about those relationships that I developed over the years. Many of them are still really close friends. I consider Matt Flynn a very close friend. I still have great contact with a lot of guys I played with over the years. Deshone and Manny (Wilkins) to Tim and I are really close. Brett Hundley and I keep in touch all the time. Scotty Tolzien and I talk from time to time.

“So, I’ve had great relationships over the years with those guys and I’d expect that same type of relationship with Jordan. He didn't get asked to be drafted by the Packers. He’s not to blame at all. He’s just coming in excited about his opportunity. We had a great conversation the day after the draft and I’m excited to work with him. He seems like a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Similar story, not heavily recruited out of college (and) kind of made his way at Utah State. We’ve had some great conversations.”

Yeah there's some subtle passive-aggressiveness in referring to Love as merely his backup, but in truth Love was clearly going to be his backup that year at a minimum & it's doubtless the team said that to him outright (in addition to it being obvious enough it didn't need saying).

Once the dust settled & a microphone/camera wasn't in his face, outside of his known drama + flakiness with regard to his extension or retirement threats to host Jeopardy! full-time, it seems Rodgers was a good teammate to Love (or at least not a bad one).

ALLEN PARK -- Tim Boyle spent the past three years backing up Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay before signing a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions earlier this offseason. Boyle wasn’t looking to discuss the drama going down on the other side of Lake Michigan but said he hopes both sides can figure it out, calling Rodgers one of his best friends and role models. The new Lions quarterback did make sure to share two takeaways that stand out from his time with the reigning MVP.

“When you’re around someone elite like Aaron Rodgers, you always want to pick their brain and ask those questions, and he was awesome to me in making sure he understood what he was seeing,” Boyle said from Detroit’s minicamp. “So I see the game a little differently now being around him, and like I said -- like (Lions quarterbacks coach) Mark Brunnel, he’s seen so many snaps, been in every situation. He has a wealth of knowledge, so I was fortunate enough to be with him for three years, pick his brain, and apply what I’ve learned from him on the field now.”

I mean, I get the less than fan-thrilling angle with regard to his contract/retirement since it was very public, but the other QBs on the Packers paint a picture of the exact opposite of a guy who tells the QB2/QB3 on the roster to eff off & they're on their own.

Once Rodgers is officially off the team, or after Love's become a solid or better starter, he may very well detail Rodgers being an arrogant, aloof douche to him, or say Rodgers ignored and/or outright refused to help him or say he's a QB not a QB coach. Thus far it's hard to find anyone saying anything like that between those two (including from the two horses' mouths). 

Ummmm please ignore all my posts on this issue!

Sperm.... 

mic-drop-just-like-that-ascz2b4yvq02xedd

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

and they wound up being DEAD WRONG.

Zach Wilson >>>>> Mike White

• En Fuego 2
  • Haha 1

It's pretty much across the board not just on this board but everywhere in the media, the Jets org etc. that Zach is a non entity as a starting Qb in the NFL esp for 2023. He's not even being discussed as a viable Qb for the Jets or other teams. I watched the games and I don't think he's washed or was as bad as what has been discussed. I think he can play and start games. He has to earn it and so far with the Jets he never has. Last year there were many bad games by starting Qbs featuring multiple picks and pick 6s. Zach had two terrible games most of the rest were OK. With him as starter the Jets had a winning record 6-3 until we crashed starting with the NEP game on 11/22. He has to get some credit although his haters aren't going to give it to him for the 5 Ws he was starting Qb for. He lost the starting job for sure but I don't believe he lost his career. A few good games and Ws it could be a turnaround maybe including the haters. 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Fair enough i was repeating something and I cannot now source it with any reliability.

In any event, the whole "bad teammate" thing was primarily as a result of him not putting in the time early enough or often enough with his young receiver corpse after his #1 receiver was allowed to leave.  The somewhat predictable "lack of chemistry" results were there for all to see last year.

There are many reports out there that he is self centered and that many of his teammates do not like him and never did.  So while the initial "not my job" quote may have been incorrect, the larger background noise is probably not.

All of this is moot basically. He will be coming here and Zach is as unsalvageable as the Titanic regardless of who comes in to QB this team.

• Upvote 1