Thanksgiving feast questions from a Canadian to my American friends...

Beerfish

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

@Sperm Edwards's derision notwithstanding, sitting in the Piazza Navona in Rome, just people watching for hours as folks walked past the Fontana dei Fiumi and Fontana del Moro, sipping truly exceptional Borolo wine, was an experience I would not have missed for the world.  

If that makes me "not manly", well, così è la vita!

Been there myself, and if the bottle comes in a wicker basket & you're just downing it, that's ok. 

When everyone can see someone fawning over the aromas to proudly announce they can detect a hint of this or that it makes me think of that south park episode where they moved to san fran & they're all smelling their own farts.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Fact, not one restaurant open by either the pilgrims or native Indians has a Michelin star.   Most of the “traditional” thanksgiving meal, including turkey is borderline eatable.

It’s still the best holiday we celebrate in the USA.   I love the traffic, my crazy relatives, the gathering, cooking, cleanup everything.  It’s a secular holiday where everyone in this country pretty much gathers to relax and be thankful.   It’s a national tradition that binds us to our history and shared values.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 1

What a ******* feast. Turkey was amazing,  stuffing and mashed potatoes on point, apple pie and chocolate pudding pie both baked from scratch to perfection. Brother in law played miles Davis, Neil young and lynyrd skynyrd.  

the football games sucked lol. I didn’t watch much. Easily my favorite holiday. 

Season 8 Thanksgiving GIF by Friends

23 hours ago, Trotter said:

Are turnips the same family?

my wife’s family would make them and I realized right away, your name ends ina vowel- you don’t eat turnips

Love turnips. But pain in the ass to peel, and gotta boil them for hours to mash them up with butter, salt and pepper. Some supermarkets have the chunks cut up and peeled,but haven't seen that that in a while. Too labor intensive for a store and probably have the help cutting themselves in the process. 

I am professional potato peeler. Did 10 pounds Wednesday in no time at all. One summer job was doing that, along with washing dishes, in a restaurant. Here's 4 50 pound bags of potatoes, kid; get to work. Onions(onion soup was and still is a specialty of this place) and carrots too. The next summer moved on but by then restaurants were getting electric peelers that you dropped the spuds and got a finished product in rather than paying a pimply-faced teen to do it.