Thanksgiving feast questions from a Canadian to my American friends...

Beerfish

Green bean casserole is good but only when there is enough fried onions on top.

I’m an Italian from Jersey and the only Italian like tradition was the homemade Mac and Cheese. Not sure if it was Italian but my Grandmother made it every Thanksgiving.

100 x better than any green bean casserole.

My wife now makes everything except the turkey, I make the Gordon Ramsay Xmas Turkey I found on YouTube. The greatest Turkey I’ve ever had!

• Upvote 3

I’m the cook so we start with antipasto - prosciutto roasted pork about 6 types of cheeses olives roasted red peppers (on the grill) pepperoni no and grapes

followed by lasagna meatballs and sausage

then stuffed rolled boneless turkey breast

various home made cookies ( pignolli are a must) for dessert

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m blessed to have a family of great cooks. Over the years I learned not to waste space on my plate with anything but bird, stuffing, mashed and gravy and biscuits/ dinner rolls. 

Italian food? lol 

go easy on the snacks and appetizers and Hors d'oeuvres, I like to be ravenous at dinner 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Trotter said:

I’m the cook so we start with antipasto - prosciutto roasted pork about 6 types of cheeses olives roasted red peppers (on the grill) pepperoni no and grapes

followed by lasagna meatballs and sausage

then stuffed rolled boneless turkey breast

various home made cookies ( pignolli are a must) for dessert

I’m guessing you go all out on Christmas Eve also with the Seven Fish?

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So a few feast related questions:

- Is green bean casserole as vile as it sounds?

Is it vile? Not at all. When made right it’s awesome. When made cheaply it’s still ok.

- Is there any traditional Italian dishes you prepare and have at thanksgiving? 

Thanksgiving is a time for Thanksgiving food. Not ethnic food (and I LOVE ethnic food).  Plenty of other times to indulge is that, no need for it on Thanksgiving.

- Who mostly prepares the feast? 

Used to be a group effort, leaning on moms and grand moms and aunts.

Nowadays, just me and the wife, we get some restaurant to cater it. Not worth the cooking time/effort for just the two of us.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’m blessed to have a family of great cooks. Over the years I learned not to waste space on my plate with anything but bird, stuffing, mashed and gravy and biscuits/ dinner rolls. 

Italian food? lol 

go easy on the snacks and appetizers and Hors d'oeuvres, I like to be ravenous at dinner 

Turkey kinda sucks… it’s all about the sides on Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Is it vile? Not at all. When made right it’s awesome. When made cheaply it’s still plush.

Thanksgiving is a time for Thanksgiving food. Not ethnic food. Plenty of other times to indulge is that, no need for it on Thanksgiving.

Used to be a group effort, leaving on moms and grand moms. 

Nowadays, just me and the wife, we get some restaurant to cater it. Not worth the cooking time/effort for just the two of us.

😂😂😂😂 you’re not Italian, are you? To us, ethnic food is anything that’s not breaded, fried or covered in sauce, topped with mozzarella.

• Upvote 1