Was CFP wrong for leaving out FSU?

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think Alabama is better than FSU. I have no skin in the game not a fan of either school. The committee answered Rick Scott saying they score teams based also on injuries and strength of schedule. But it's subjective and I think they made the right call. And politicians should have nothing to do with this. 

How is Alabama better? They lost to Texas. They beat Auburn on a hail mary in the end zone. They barely beat Texas A&m. They barely beat Arkansas. 

Their strength of record is lower than FSU's, meaning their wins and margins of victory were against inferior teams. 

Again, if you're going to go by the numbers and wins, FSU is a better team. This was not about numbers and wins, obviously. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

FSU beat LSU. And Michigan also cheated. But the media adores them so they get an auto bid. Their schedule was an embarrassment.

Michigan had no head coach for weeks and it was clearly not factored in, but losing Travis for FSU was. 

The funny part is, people argue saying that they lost their starting QB and that plays a role. If that were true, why did they move up from 5 to 4 after beating UF? Travis was hurt the week prior. So losing Travis going into the swamp and winning against an SEC opponent on their turf pushed FSU back up into the top 4, but beating one of the most dominant offense in CFB and winning a conference title drops them out? 

Zero sense. Zero 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

While I disagree with this, let's say this is true. Then explain to me why the same committee picked TCU last year? They were 13-2. They had barely beaten Baylor, they had barely beaten Kansas State, and then they lost against Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game. They made the playoffs, beat Michigan and then got walked by Georgia 65-7 in one of the worst National Championship games of all time. 

So if your comments are true, why was TCU in it last year? How do you put TCU in it last year but not an undefeated FSU team with a conference championship? 

It was not about entertainment. It was about the fact that the committee was faced with a decision to leave the SEC out of the playoffs and there was no way they were doing that. ESPN is on the teet of the SEC. There was no chance they were leaving them out. 

TCU scores points and they won their first game which justifies the decision 

look this is like saying "Explain why the NFL Can call holding anytime it wants"

its because of entertainment 

it's baked into the product and always has been 

Why can Roger Goodell stomp on video tapes? 

yeah it's sucky it always has been 

The SEC has the best players and the most pros that's why they get favoritism 

it's all about entertainment - take away the TV contracts and the NIL money and it's division 3 

10 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Michigan had no head coach for weeks and it was clearly not factored in, but losing Travis for FSU was. 

The funny part is, people argue saying that they lost their starting QB and that plays a role. If that were true, why did they move up from 5 to 4 after beating UF? Travis was hurt the week prior. So losing Travis going into the swamp and winning against an SEC opponent on their turf pushed FSU back up into the top 4, but beating one of the most dominant offense in CFB and winning a conference title drops them out? 

Zero sense. Zero 

It’s politics. I still can’t wrap my head around a power 5 team going undefeated and getting left out, while two teams with losses each make it. It’s BS.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Jet_Engine1 @Matt39 @Larz @JagsFanJif @bitonti

The NCAA sucks but the 12-team playoff will be so much better.  Consider that this would be what the 5-12 teams would have looked like this year, and their matchups (top 4 get the byes):

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State
No. 11 Ole Miss at No. 6 Georgia
No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State
No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon

michael fassbender perfection GIF

This looks awful and worse then what they currently have. 

• Thumb Down 1

Here is my take from the existing thread that's been out there since the decision:

The committee had FSU ranked #4 and Texas #7, knowing Tate Rodemaker was in the concussion protocol and not going to play. just a few days before Championship Sat.  Texas played #19 Oklahoma St. and FSU played #15 Louisville.  FSU beat the higher ranked team, holding an offense that puts up 30pts a game to 6 pts but Texas playing a team that doesnt know you're allowed to play defense jumps 4 spots and FSU, falls?  That makes zero sense. 

Why wasnt Texas ranked higher than FSU going into the weekend?  If you do that, at least you're telling the world the truth and letting FSU know that winning isnt enough, and that they dont care if Rodemaker was coming back, you better blow them out by 40 so you dont have to explain why a team playing a lesser opponent, jumped FSU.

Also, Texas lost at home, to a 2 loss team in Oklahoma.  Georgia went undefeated in the regular season in the SEC and lost in a neutral site championship game to Alabama.  Who's loss is worse?  Who's road harder? How many times has the loser of the SEC championship game, gone on to win the Nat'y? 

So even if you want to argue the committee snubbing FSU was correct (I would still disagree because I think FSU could ugly up a game w/ that defense and have just enough playmakers on offense to give them a punchers chance), there is no doubt in my mind Georgia would smoke Texas, Washington and Michigan w/ ease. 

College Football is broken and this decision made it much much worse.  Dont even get me into the transfer portal, NIL, eligibility and strength of schedule conversation.  These teams are not competing at all on a level playing field. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, JagsFanJif said:

Why wasnt Texas ranked higher than FSU going into the weekend?

The obvious answer is because the committee wanted Louisville to do their dirty work for them and if Jack Plummer was even half decent they would have. 

college football fans aren't going anywhere they already watch 4.5 hour broadcasts with home depot commercials every 12 seconds 

40 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

How is Alabama better? They lost to Texas. They beat Auburn on a hail mary in the end zone. They barely beat Texas A&m. They barely beat Arkansas. 

Their strength of record is lower than FSU's, meaning their wins and margins of victory were against inferior teams. 

Again, if you're going to go by the numbers and wins, FSU is a better team. This was not about numbers and wins, obviously. 

Its subjective and prob if FSU QB not out for year they'd have made it. Alabama lost only one game to Texas second game of season but improved as season went on and beat Georgia recognized as best team in country to qualify and knock Georgia out. IMO right now Alabama would beat FSU. 

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

TCU scores points and they won their first game which justifies the decision 

look this is like saying "Explain why the NFL Can call holding anytime it wants"

its because of entertainment 

it's baked into the product and always has been 

Why can Roger Goodell stomp on video tapes? 

yeah it's sucky it always has been 

The SEC has the best players and the most pros that's why they get favoritism 

it's all about entertainment - take away the TV contracts and the NIL money and it's division 3 

TCU averaged 38 points per game last year with 2 losses. 

FSU averaged 36 points per game this year with 0 losses. 

And TCU was given the opportunity to win their first game, FSU was not 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Its subjective and prob if FSU QB not out for year they'd have made it. Alabama lost only one game to Texas second game of season but improved as season went on and beat Georgia recognized as best team in country to qualify and knock Georgia out. IMO right now Alabama would beat FSU. 

Again, speculation. Games are either won or lost. Alabama lost, FSU did not. Pretty simple. A power 5 team undefeated with a conference title. Not much else to look at 

Just now, Falco21 said:

TCU averaged 38 points per game last year with 2 losses. 

FSU averaged 36 points per game this year with 0 losses. 

And TCU was given the opportunity to win their first game, FSU was not 

yes yes and FSU lost their star QB 

I get it you're a fan, they are your team or whatever

but no one except FSU fans wants to watch Tate Rodemaker or Brock Quinn in the CFB playoff 

you get that part, right? 

Yes it's un fair yes the committee screwed them. That's because they lost their only chance of being competitive on offense 

beating a 5-7 Gators doesn't exactly prove Tate Rodemaker's any good 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The obvious answer is because the committee wanted Louisville to do their dirty work for them and if Jack Plummer was even half decent they would have. 

college football fans aren't going anywhere they already watch 4.5 hour broadcasts with home depot commercials every 12 seconds 

If Jack Plummer was half decent or FSUs defense was dominant? Plummer went into that game having thrown 8 TDs the previous 5 games with over 140 rating. FSUs defense held him to 0 TD, 1 INT, a 58 rating, and 111 yards. 

Looked to me like a playoff defense with their backup QB, who just beat UF, coming off concussion protocol the next week. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yes yes and FSU lost their star QB 

I get it you're a fan, they are your team or whatever

but no one except FSU fans wants to watch Tate Rodemaker or Brock Quinn in the CFB playoff 

you get that part, right? 

Yes it's un fair yes the committee screwed them. That's because they lost their only chance of being competitive on offense 

beating a 5-7 Gators doesn't exactly prove Tate Rodemaker's any good 

FSU lost their star QB weeks prior and the committee moved them up a spot after beating UF. 

I love how the argument was always that the ACC was weak, so they added SEC games to the schedule. FSU wins them both on away ground and now suddenly it's "well UF is a 5-7 team" 😂

It's not about being a fan. It's about making sense. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

It's not about being a fan. It's about making sense. 

does it make sense that KCC won the SB last year on a holding call?

does it make sense that KCC lost the BUF game on a marginal offensive offsides call that happens in every game?  

Football doesn't make sense. It's not fair. The rules are obscure and arcane and enforced on a whim 

that's football. The powers that be manipulate the schedule to make the most ratings heavy matchups. I'm sorry your team got the worst of it this time, maybe next time they will get the better of it. Or maybe not. But this is just  UCF all over again the difference you don't root for UCF

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

does it make sense that KCC won the SB last year on a holding call?

does it make sense that KCC lost the BUF game on a marginal offensive offsides call that happens in every game?  

Football doesn't make sense. It's not fair. The rules are obscure and arcane and enforced on a whim 

that's football. The powers that be manipulate the schedule to make the most ratings heavy matchups. I'm sorry your team got the worst of it this time, maybe next time they will get the better of it. Or maybe not. But this is just  UCF all over again the difference you don't root for UCF

Your point is valid in game situations. It is not valid when it comes to putting teams in the playoffs. Calls are wrong, all the time. That's the game. That's human error and a factor in every game played. The committee was put in place to make logical decisions with results in front of them. If you had two teams that were undefeated and one was left out, I would chalk it up luck of the draw. That was not what occurred here. 

1 minute ago, Falco21 said:

Your point is valid in game situations. It is not valid when it comes to putting teams in the playoffs. Calls are wrong, all the time. That's the game. That's human error and a factor in every game played. The committee was put in place to make logical decisions with results in front of them. If you had two teams that were undefeated and one was left out, I would chalk it up luck of the draw. That was not what occurred here.

how about the committee made a "human error" then if it makes you feel better

it just happens to be a human error that results in higher ratings 

You're talking SRS vs. SOS and lets be real, there is no world that FSU and Bama play an equal schedule on an equal playing field.  And that's the biggest issue w/ college Football.  There is no consistency.  It's a mess and you're judging teams that are not playing on the same level. 

Look I agree, FSU got screwed but it is also true, they dont play anyone and the ACC is weak.  And unfortunately for FSU, while you did go schedule an extra SEC game, I dont think the first game of the season wins are as meaningful as late season wins/losses because LSU wasnt good.  Normally, a huge win but LSU didnt turn out to be as big of a win as you expected.  Not your fault.  The scheduling is moronic but beating Florida, is not a feather in the cap.  The Gators are terrible and they had their back up QB.   It hurt FSU in that game because in particular Rodemaker was terrible vs. a historically bad Gators D.  He couldnt even complete 50% of his passes vs. that god awful D and took a safety.  So he didnt instill any confidence in this stupid "best team" subjective nonsense the committee used to snub FSU. And further, UF vs. FSU is the most overrated "rivalry" game in of college Football.  They've met in the top 10 together like once and there has been 1 upset in the history of the meeting.  The only reason it's a big game is because the fans make it one but the games never live up the hype.

So like usual a bunch of things are true in this stupid situation college Football created; FSU got screwed.  They deserve to be in it.  They also play in a weak conference and had an easy schedule and probably are not one of the best 4 teams.  If you ask me, I think the biggest team w/ a gripe is Georgia because there is no way you cant convince they are the best team in the country and couldnt be Bama w/ another shot at them but we'll never know because college Football is proper ****ed and now I'm actually starting to believe expanding the playoff is only going to make it worse. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So JiF you want the committee to get it right (never gonna happen) with 4 instead of having 12 play it out?  Thats absurd my guy.  

I think 12 dilutes the playoff and the regular season and in the current wild wild west state of the NCAA, opens up potential doors that make this entire mess even messier. 

3 minutes ago, JagsFanJif said:

You're talking SRS vs. SOS and lets be real, there is no world that FSU and Bama play an equal schedule on an equal playing field.  And that's the biggest issue w/ college Football.  There is no consistency.  It's a mess and you're judging teams that are not playing on the same level. 

Look I agree, FSU got screwed but it is also true, they dont play anyone and the ACC is weak.  And unfortunately for FSU, while you did go schedule an extra SEC game, I dont think the first game of the season wins are as meaningful as late season wins/losses because LSU wasnt good.  Normally, a huge win but LSU didnt turn out to be as big of a win as you expected.  Not your fault.  The scheduling is moronic but beating Florida, is not a feather in the cap.  The Gators are terrible and they had their back up QB.   It hurt FSU in that game because in particular Rodemaker was terrible vs. a historically bad Gators D.  He couldnt even complete 50% of his passes vs. that god awful D and took a safety.  So he didnt instill any confidence in this stupid "best team" subjective nonsense the committee used to snub FSU. And further, UF vs. FSU is the most overrated "rivalry" game in of college Football.  They've met in the top 10 together like once and there has been 1 upset in the history of the meeting.  The only reason it's a big game is because the fans make it one but the games never live up the hype.

So like usual a bunch of things are true in this stupid situation college Football created; FSU got screwed.  They deserve to be in it.  They also play in a weak conference and had an easy schedule and probably are not one of the best 4 teams.  If you ask me, I think the biggest team w/ a gripe is Georgia because there is no way you cant convince they are the best team in the country and couldnt be Georgia w/ another shot at them but we'll never know because college Football is proper ****ed and now I'm actually starting to believe expanding the playoff is only going to make it worse. 

SOR is a metric that the committee uses over SOS for playoffs and rankings. SOR is a deeper metric that does not just evaluate the schedule, but evaluates the opponents you beat and how you beat them. You can claim FSU had an easier schedule, but the SOR says otherwise, which again, is what they are using in their rankings.

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I think so. They got robbed.

My top 4 would have been Michigan, Washington, Texas and FSU.

Not sure how Alabama snuck in there. Seems like the committee has a requirement that a SEC team has to be in.

That's exactly what it was. FSU beat UF and moved back up to 4. They should have never dropped out, but they did. The committee figured Georgia would beat Alabama. If they did, FSU would remain at 4 and they would get their SEC team in. What happens if Georgia loses? Well they also likely thought FSU would lose with a true freshman at QB against a top 15 team. When that didn't pan out and Georgia lost, they decided to put in Alabama, who had zero right being anywhere near the top 4. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So JiF you want the committee to get it right (never gonna happen) with 4 instead of having 12 play it out?  Thats absurd my guy.  

Yup. At least expand  it to 8. The top 8 teams this year would all have a chance to get hot and win national title. Even Oregon at 2 losses could win it all. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

SOR is a metric that the committee uses over SOS for playoffs and rankings. SOR is a deeper metric that does not just evaluate the schedule, but evaluates the opponents you beat and how you beat them. You can claim FSU had an easier schedule, but the SOR says otherwise, which again, is what they are using in their rankings.

buddy, come'on.  You did not play as challenging of a schedule as Bama.  lol  

Again, speculation. Games are either won or lost. Alabama lost, FSU did not. Pretty simple. A power 5 team undefeated with a conference title. Not much else to look at 

Well you've got to give them credit for beating Louisville with a third string true Frosh QB who was obviously over his head. Be interested to see how they do vs Georgia I think FSU's number two QB who is much more competitive will be playing. Alabama this season wasn't the powerhouse they've been in the past but beating Georgia a big deal impressive. 

1 hour ago, JagsFanJif said:

I think 12 dilutes the playoff and the regular season and in the current wild wild west state of the NCAA, opens up potential doors that make this entire mess even messier. 

It takes power away from the committee so how is that even remotely a bad idea?

And there are 133 FBS schools.  12 playoff teams is hardly “diluted”.  You’re a fan of the NCAA Basketball tourney, no?  What’s the harm in allowing every conference to have a shot at a playoff bid?  If they don’t belong let the big guys prove it.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is a joke they were left out. It’s also a joke that a moron senator is turning it into a political stunt to curry favor with dimwits who think that’s what a senator should be doing for them.

Better use of his time compared to Ben Cardins staff.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Neither Georgia nor FSU likely care all that much about that game my man.  

In the 1970s, when there was rarely a championship game, several teams with undefeated records declared themselves the champions despite what ever the polls said,  even giving  their players rings and making banners. What you're saying is really you expect Georgia is gonna spank FSU and their popgun offense and you're prepping us to discount the Orange Bowl altogether. Doesn't sound very champion-like to me. Other than may be Washington, the other 3 final 4 would be at least 7 point favorites over FSU. And Washington would at least be favored. 

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I think so. They got robbed.

My top 4 would have been Michigan, Washington, Texas and FSU.

Seems like the committee has a requirement that a SEC team has to be in.

Georgia and Alabama had a case. But they both would have just missed out if it were up to me.

Yes. Part of the reason is the SEC is the best conference. It's inarguable. Kinda hard to have a final 4 without the conference champion of the best conference, and that is Alabama. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

In the 1970s, when there was rarely a championship game, several teams with undefeated records declared themselves the champions despite what ever the polls said,  even giving  their players rings and making banners. What you're saying is really you expect Georgia is gonna spank FSU and their popgun offense and you're prepping us to discount the Orange Bowl altogether. Doesn't sound very champion-like to me. Other than may be Washington, the other 3 final 4 would be at least 7 point favorites over FSU. And Washington would at least be favored. 

I’m saying neither team likely cares.  It may as well be an NIT game.  This isn’t the 70s.  Teams don’t play for pride like that anymore.  A healthy 20 % or so of them have their minds focused on the draft.  

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is a joke they were left out. It’s also a joke that a moron senator is turning it into a political stunt to curry favor with dimwits who think that’s what a senator should be doing for them.

It's Florida. It's a sh*t show down here. It's par for the course at this point 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well you've got to give them credit for beating Louisville with a third string true Frosh QB who was obviously over his head. Be interested to see how they do vs Georgia I think FSU's number two QB who is much more competitive will be playing. Alabama this season wasn't the powerhouse they've been in the past but beating Georgia a big deal impressive. 

The orange bowl is a waste of time. It's an exhibition game where more than half the starters don't play because they are declaring for the draft. You can't put any stock in that game, which is why everyone is saying to just cancel it.