Let me be first to say it: Sauce Gardner is better than Revis ever was!

On 1/12/2024 at 1:32 PM, rex-n-effect said:

Sauce is asked to do a lot less than Revis. He also plays in a time IMO with less high level competition for those accolades. Also toss in the extra attention he gets from his draft position and capturing DPOY last year. You could find a lot of big Revis plays his first two years. Are there a lot of Sauce highlights out there?

For those complaining about Revis and his contract, Sauce will come for his, too. 

Revis had to defend Bradyx2/3, Peyton, Ben, Rivers, Brees, Flacco and Rodgers and completely eliminated a receiver against all of them, including shutting down Brady-to-Moss.

Brady to Moss would torch Sauce.

• Upvote 1

Can't compare the two just like we could never compare Revis and Richard Sherman. Sherman and Sauce (who I think is awesome don't get me wrong) play zone Cover 3.

Revis played straight up man to man on the best WR every week.

Might as well compare a pony ride and race horse.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:36 PM, WickedAwesome said:

Revis had to defend Bradyx2/3, Peyton, Ben, Rivers, Brees, Flacco and Rodgers and completely eliminated a receiver against all of them, including shutting down Brady-to-Moss.

Bingo

On 1/14/2024 at 10:36 PM, WickedAwesome said:

Revis shut down Moss, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson all in their primes.  Sauce is good but the top WRs I’ve seen beat him

Trade him now for picks before Woody overpays like crazy for him because he takes a lot of pride in having drafted him 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, Alka said:

Unfortunately, Sauce does not get to decide what coverage he can play.  The coaching staff decides that, so you can't hold that against Sauce.  The guy is only doing what he is told.  If Revis was in the same coverage as Sauce, then you couldn't even make the argument.

#2- Sauce made 1st team pro each of his first 2 years.  Revis did not even make the pro-bowl his first year, and although he made the pro-bowl his second year, he was not an All=pro in his second year.  Comparing apples to applies, Sauce graded out better against his competition in his first 2 years.

Nobody's holding it against Sauce - it's not a knock on Sauce at all. But Revis's 2009 remains the best coverage year a CB has ever put up, and probably ever will put up, because of the fact that he was in man coverage on a murderers row of WRs.

For the year, *counting 3 playoff games* he gave up 48 Rec/502 yds/2TDs and had 8 picks. His QB rating against was 29.1 (which, as Jets XFactor points out, is the same QB rating as Ken O'Brien managed in a 1991 game against Seattle where his stats were 13/29 (44.8%)/128 yards/0 TD/2 INT)

He did that covering Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (x2), Marques Colston, TO(x2), Mike Walker, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, and Chad Ochocinco in their primes. It's never going to be duplicated, and that's not a knock on Sauce

On 1/17/2024 at 8:21 AM, Doggin94it said:

Nobody's holding it against Sauce - it's not a knock on Sauce at all. But Revis's 2009 remains the best coverage year a CB has ever put up, and probably ever will put up, because of the fact that he was in man coverage on a murderers row of WRs.

For the year, *counting 3 playoff games* he gave up 48 Rec/502 yds/2TDs and had 8 picks. His QB rating against was 29.1 (which, as Jets XFactor points out, is the same QB rating as Ken O'Brien managed in a 1991 game against Seattle where his stats were 13/29 (44.8%)/128 yards/0 TD/2 INT)

He did that covering Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (x2), Marques Colston, TO(x2), Mike Walker, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, and Chad Ochocinco in their primes. It's never going to be duplicated, and that's not a knock on Sauce

You give a solid argument, and I can't argue with you on it.

However, as I talked about in another post, there was an ugly side to Revis as well.  When he came back to the Jets on his second stint, he was only 29 years old, and Woody guaranteed him $39,000,000.00   He played just okay his first year, and made the pro bowl, but in all honesty didn't deserve it, and made it on reputation alone.  His second season, when he turned 30 years old, was horrible.  He came to camp out of shape, he had problems covering average wide receivers, and stopped tackling.  In fact, he was so bad in his second year that the Jets outright cut him from the team after that year.  He went to another team, where he was moved to safety, and that didn't end well either.  He didn't care about his legacy, and was a shell of the player he once was at the age of 30 years old.  He only cared about the money, and he took Woody for $39,000,000.00 which turned out to be a very bad signing.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Alka said:

You give a solid argument, and I can't argue with you on it.

However, as I talked about in another post, there was an ugly side to Revis as well.  When he came back to the Jets on his second stint, he was only 29 years old, and Woody guaranteed him $39,000,000.00   He played just okay his first year, and made the pro bowl, but in all honesty didn't deserve it, and made it on reputation alone.  His second season, when he turned 30 years old, was horrible.  He came to camp out of shape, he had problems covering average wide receivers, and stopped tackling.  In fact, he was so bad in his second year that the Jets outright cut him from the team after that year.  He went to another team, where he was moved to safety, and that didn't end well either.  He didn't care about his legacy, and was a shell of the player he once was at the age of 30 years old.  He only cared about the money, and he took Woody for $39,000,000.00 which turned out to be a very bad signing.

Yeah. But none of that has anything to do with "who played the best when they were at their best". Right now that's Revis.

If you're giving me a choice of either of those two as rookies to have on my team ... I may take Sauce for those reasons. If you're giving me a choice of either guy for a single prime season, let alone 1 game ... it's Revis until further notice.