Lead Up To Conference Championship Games

Anyone else find it odd that KC/Baltimore is the early game?  That feels like the marquee matchup to me.  Though maybe the NFL is thinking that the possibility of Detroit making a Super Bowl makes that game the more appealing one?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Anyone else find it odd that KC/Baltimore is the early game?  That feels like the marquee matchup to me.  Though maybe the NFL is thinking that the possibility of Detroit making a Super Bowl makes that game the more appealing one?

They alternate every year between the AFC and NFC Title games.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh wow, I had no idea.  I actually thought the NFL chose these things based on matchup (and time zone).

They do for he first two weekends. But CBS (who always have the AFC Title game) and Fox (who have NFC Title game) alternate the 3 vs 6:30 slots. Last year Philly/9ers was 3 and Chiefs/Bengals was 6:30. The year before that Chiefs/Bengals was 3 and Rams/9ers was 6:30, etc 

Its why Jets Colts in 2009 was the “early” game and Jets Steelers in 2010 was the “late” game.

• Upvote 4

2023 NFL Kickoff  - Detroit at Kansas City
Super Bowl LVIII - Detroit vs Kansas City

First game of the season could have been a preview of Super Bowl LVIII. 

If Patrick Mahomes leads the Chiefs to back-to-back Super Bowl Championships, it'll be the first time since the Goat, Tom Brady, did it with the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005 vs the Eagles. 

• More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I like both favorites this weekend 

I think Baltimore has been the best team all year and I don’t see that changing now. 

I saw a stat that the only teams in NFL history to lead the league in rushing, average 25+ PPG and have the number 1 defense (PPG allowed) are the '72 Dolphins, '85 Bears and these Ravens. Pretty good company.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I saw a stat that the only teams in NFL history to lead the league in rushing, average 25+ PPG and have the number 1 defense (PPG allowed) are the '72 Dolphins, '85 Bears and these Ravens. Pretty good company.

That's an interesting stat.  Though also interesting is that their leading rusher was Lamar with 821 yards.  How many people have even heard of their RBs?  Probably not that many (FFL players aside).

The '72 Dolphins had 2 1,000 yard rushers and a 3rd with 521.  The '85 Bears had Walter Payton with 1,500 yards rushing.  Different eras, of course.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/bal/season/2023/seasontype/2
image.thumb.png.bda3c1605c705c42f84e7e1d139968da.png

• Upvote 1

49ers: Sounds like Deebo is a game time decision.

Lions: I think they have injuries at TE.  LaPorta might not be able to play.  I think they have another TE injured too.  I think their C is hurt too but he did play last week.

Ravens: Mark Andrews comes back.  Who knows how healthy he is though.

Chiefs: I think they have a few injuries on defense (Sneed and a couple of others) and I just heard Thuney is out (big loss).  I see that even Pachecho is listed as "questionable".