2024 Yankees season thread

Gleyber booted a double play ball yesterday like a little leaguer and then missed on another ball too.

Enough with this guy. He's a liability out there and he's a FA in a few months.

Get rid of him. 

11 hours ago, Barton said:

Gleyber booted a double play ball yesterday like a little leaguer and then missed on another ball too.

Enough with this guy. He's a liability out there and he's a FA in a few months.

Get rid of him. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if they traded him and started DJ at 2nd rest of the way

52 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Looks like they won’t call him up until someone gets injured

I would move Judge to 1b after this season. Long term OF Jones, Dominguez and Soto. Judge at 1st. Only positions we’d need to figure out for the long term would be 2B and 3b. Maybe Cabrera is the answer at one of those spots. But in this scenario the only big $$ contracts we’d have would be Soto, Judge and Cole. Rest of these guys would be under team control.

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Damn shame Yanks didn't sign Blake Snell.

2 years, 62 million.  Currently rocking the 9.5 ERA

Remember when the season was lost and Steinbrenner was the worst owner in sports for not giving Snell a massive contract? 😅 Talk about dodging a bullet!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I would move Judge to 1b after this season. Long term OF Jones, Dominguez and Soto. Judge at 1st. Only positions we’d need to figure out for the long term would be 2B and 3b. Maybe Cabrera is the answer at one of those spots. But in this scenario the only big $$ contracts we’d have would be Soto, Judge and Cole. Rest of these guys would be under team control.

Caleb Durbin should be able to take over 2nd base next year.  He fills the need at 2B, and is a high contact, good average prospect.  Currently hitting just under 300, with an OBP over 400 and 20 stolen bases.  A great person to put at #9, in front of Volpe and the big boys.  He is injured right now, (hit in the hand by a pitch), but that is not season ending as far as I know.

Martian (assuming health) should be good for Center field next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I get why moving Judge to 1b makes sense but he is such a good outfielder.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

We aren’t resigning both Soto and Verdugo so Dominguez will inherit one of those corner outfield slots next year

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We aren’t resigning both Soto and Verdugo so Dominguez will inherit one of those corner outfield slots next year

Would assume Verdugo is odd man out. Don’t see how Hal would ever live down the backlash if he lets Soto walk. The big question is would Spencer Jones be able to hold down the everyday LF job starting next year? Also should we give Volpe a contract now buy out his arbitration years a la what Braves do with their young guys?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Would assume Verdugo is odd man out. Don’t see how Hal would ever live down the backlash if he lets Soto walk. The big question is would Spencer Jones be able to hold down the everyday LF job starting next year? Also should we give Volpe a contract now buy out his arbitration years a la what Braves do with their young guys?

I extend Volpe the day he is willing to sign a contract.

Just moving Judge to right out of center will take some wear and tear off of him.  Jones will get every chance to play corner OF or first base next year.

On 6/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, chirorob said:

Caleb Durbin should be able to take over 2nd base next year.  He fills the need at 2B, and is a high contact, good average prospect.  Currently hitting just under 300, with an OBP over 400 and 20 stolen bases.  A great person to put at #9, in front of Volpe and the big boys.  He is injured right now, (hit in the hand by a pitch), but that is not season ending as far as I know.

Martian (assuming health) should be good for Center field next year.

I like Durbin also but Yankees have other ways to go also including having DJ back at 2nd where his bat plays up, assuming he starts hitting again shortly, I think he will and signing a big hitting 3rd baseman, especially if they can't sign Soto.

Gleyber can't field or run bases intelligently and his hitting is sporadic, think he's just not a smart player, has the talent.

Frankly, I'd like to see the 6'5 Rumsfield get a chance at first base, Rizzo is losing it both defensively and at bat and Rumsfield looks like a gold glove first basmen, who bats LEFT and can hit .275 with 25 + HRs in Yankee stadium.

https://www.google.com/search?q=TJ+rumsfeld+defensive+highlights&sca_esv=b061e2632347ae6b&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS1067US1067&ei=jlhfZsqsOaWk5NoP-7248Aw&ved=0ahUKEwjKq6zoxcKGAxUlElkFHfseDs4Q4dUDCBA&oq=TJ+rumsfeld+defensive+highlights&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiIFRKIHJ1bXNmZWxkIGRlZmVuc2l2ZSBoaWdobGlnaHRzMggQABiABBiiBDIIEAAYgAQYogQyCBAAGKIEGIkFSM08UIAQWKcjcAF4AZABAJgBRqABvwGqAQEzuAEMyAEA-AEBmAIEoALMAcICChAAGLADGNYEGEfCAgoQIRigARjDBBgKmAMAiAYBkAYGkgcBNKAH7Ac&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8b7189d7,vid:C2oiNgF3KKw,st:0

On 6/3/2024 at 4:31 PM, chirorob said:

I extend Volpe the day he is willing to sign a contract.

Just moving Judge to right out of center will take some wear and tear off of him.  Jones will get every chance to play corner OF or first base next year.

Injury wise there’s no difference between judge playing center or RF.  He got injured last year playing right 

On 6/3/2024 at 2:02 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Extend him next season during his pre-arbitration 

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

So who bats second while Soto is out? Do they move Judge up and if so, who bats third? If they keep Judge in the 3 spot , who would you bat second?

I say it's time for 👽

I probably move Verdugo up to 2nd, and yes, call up the Martian if Soto is out

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Soto being out of the lineup really shines a light on some of the ugly warts this team has. I can’t see how Rizzo is the everyday first baseman for rest of season? 

Rizzo is shot. So is DJ. Judge has a shot at MVP.