Early non Jets overreaction buzz

16 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I don't think this is strictly true. If williams had no shot at becoming an adequate NFL processor, he wouldn't have been touted as the clear top pick. NFL scouts aren't all more blind than a bunch of armchair GMs here lol, and Williams did show this ability in college enough to entice. 

Rather, I think Williams is vulnerable to the same unpredictable issue most every college QB is - it's impossible to tell if he will be able to read and process at an NFL level until we actually see it. Scouts want to see a guy who can do this at the college level, but the reason the Daniels and Williams go top is because they can do EVERYTHING ELSE great, and therefore have the most upside if they do make it. A player's landing spot and coaching definitely play a major role too, but ultimately guys are made or broken by this very unpredictable mental aspect. 

Even when a guy like Darnold or Nix is supposed to be a great field reader coming out of college, sometimes it just doesn't translate to NFL speed. Other times, a guy like Dak Prescott turns out to have "it" even if he wasn't a super enticing prospect otherwise (and please don't argue these specific guys - there's tons of examples one way or the other, I'm just giving these guys as relevant ones).

Of course, very rare QBs come in with this ability as predicted (Luck) or develop it over time (Allen). But most guys show it or fail it pretty quickly. Personally I think Caleb has as good a shot as any recent prospect, but we'll find out soon haha

People also have concerns over Caleb's maturity/professionalism, but I agree that, on the field, it comes down to the ability to process and confidence. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bills just signed Gable Stevenson, who has never played football before. No idea what to make of that except for the fact that he’s probably the biggest freak that USA wrestling has produced like ever. 

Does he even know what a hip drop tackle is? 

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2024 at 10:06 PM, Beerfish said:

The NY Jets have not made the playoffs in 13 years.   2 of the last 17 years.

Teams consistently are finding good to great players in mid rounds that really help their teams.

The jets GMs almost NEVER do so.

If you have epic fails early in the draft like say a Becton or a Zach Wilson you have to find gems elsewhere to insulate agaisnt the fails (See Purdy and Trey Lance situation.)

The true clowns on this site are the rainbow unicorn sunshine squad that think every move an epic fail team have made in the last 15 years is awesome sauce.

% correct about things on this site?  Clown doomsayers 95%, sunshine squad clowns 5%

In this league and in this world you EARN trust and optimism and you EARN scorn and distrust. 

The sunshine squad just hands out praise and credit and trust, 13 years......

Houston was total dog sh*t about 2 years ago,, as of now their franchise has a better out look than the jets going forward.

TALLY HO!   Gooooooooo Jets!

You don't fall into either of these two buckets. You are just an overly cynical miserable chicken little.

Houston is trending upward, but there is no basis to suggest they have a better outlook than the Jets. The Jets have a very good roster, the QB play and massive unfortunate in the injury department on their OL was the biggest problem last year with a team that had the talent to make the playoffs.

Take your "The Jets have sucked forever so I know all" badge and shove it!

17 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Houston is trending upward, but there is no basis to suggest they have a better outlook than the Jets.

The Texans do know who their QB will be in 2026, so on this I'll have to disagree. 

But you are correct that Beerfish is overly cynical, lol.

• Upvote 1