Marvin Harrison Jr signs his rookie deal. What the hell is going on with Corley?

On 5/24/2024 at 11:41 PM, Vader said:

Corley hasn't done anything in this league yet. He shouldn't be penciled in as a starter either. Long way to go before Sept.

So no drafted player won’t be in their teams starting lineup on opening day?  
Players like MHJ will be first off the bench maybe?

14 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Friend, you literally just said the same thing I did. Stop whining about the word choice

I'm not whining in any way, shape, or form.  I didn't say the same thing you did. Your saying the the OP was "desperate" is nowhere near what I said.  I made no value judgment on the OP or the thread.  Further, I was justifying the OP and the thread.  It's a totally valid topic for a thread. If you don't want to participate, fine, but if some or the rest of us do, what's it to you?  I can't stand for posters to try to be moderators and tell other posters what is valid and what isn't for a thread, and chastise them for starting such a thread.  I've seen it for years on every Jets fan site I've read or posted on.   I will call it out every. single. time.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

I'm not whining in any way, shape, or form.  I didn't say the same thing you did. Your saying the the OP was "desperate" is nowhere near what I said.  I made no value judgment on the OP or the thread.  Further, I was justifying the OP and the thread.  It's a totally valid topic for a thread. If you don't want to participate, fine, but if some or the rest of us do, what's it to you?  I can't stand for posters to try to be moderators and tell other posters what is valid and what isn't for a thread, and chastise them for starting such a thread.  I've seen it for years on every Jets fan site I've read or posted on.   I will call it out every. single. time.

Have you been run out of TGG?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So no drafted player won’t be in their teams starting lineup on opening day?  
Players like MHJ will be first off the bench maybe?

what I mean is he's unproven, and that there is competition for the #2 and #3 Wr spots: MW, Lazard, Brownlee, Gipson. These are all vets or second or third year players that made jumps, made strides, and could be due. Gipson basically made a veteran WR FA signing expendable last year. Corley just has done nothing in the league yet. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 3:16 PM, JKlecko said:

Neither has Gipson, and Gipson will be Corley's main competition for the Slot WR spot.  The Jets have made it clear that they're counting on Corley, as evidenced by how hard they tried to trade up for him into the 2nd round, how they were sweating it that they wouldn't get him, all the positive comments since, and Saleh focusing on Corley fixing his route running quickly.  IMO, it will be a major upset/surprise if Corley isn't the starter in game 1.

Gipson has definitely done stuff in this league and lest year made a veteran WR FA signing expendable. I just don't see how Corley is a shoe-in. Fun player but I say let them all play and see where the chips fall.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Vader said:

what I mean is he's unproven, and that there is competition for the #2 and #3 Wr spots: MW, Lazard, Brownlee, Gipson. These are all vets or second or third year players that made jumps, made strides, and could be due. Gipson basically made a veteran WR FA signing expendable last year. Corley just has done nothing in the league yet. 

As long as MW isn’t a physical scratch, he’s #2, no competition there.  We’ll see, you’re right Corley won’t get handed the 3 over the rest of the receivers but that’s what camp and the preseason games will show 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I thought when this thread first stwrted it was another way too early panic thread.

But now it’s May 26th. Time to panic. This is another sh*t show.

The point of this thread had nothing to do with panicking.

Corley is the only rookie of the Jets 2024 draft class who hasn't signed his contract.

It's fair to wonder why that is.

Some of you could probably care less & that's your prerogative.

That said, he's a 3rd round draft pick, his salary is supposed to be slotted, meaning there is nothing to haggle about as far as compensation goes, so what could possibly be the hang-up?

Is this some kind of endorsement issue - or is this kid just playing the WR Diva card?

It could potentially affect the team down the road, so yes, I'd like to know what the issue is.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Vader said:

Gipson has definitely done stuff in this league and lest year made a veteran WR FA signing expendable. I just don't see how Corley is a shoe-in. Fun player but I say let them all play and see where the chips fall.

Oh, there will definitely be a competition.  They're not just going to hand it Corley, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the Jets planning on Corley winning the competition and want him win the competition, but if not, that would OK because that would mean that Gipson had really stepped up his game a notch or two, and they could still give Corley playing time.

When you say that he made a veteran WR FA signing expendable, are you referring to Hardman?  If so, Gipson didn't make Hardman expendable.  Hardman made himself expendable by his lousy play in practice and preseason.  Gipson just showed promise.  I disagree that he as done anything yet in the NFL.

For context ... Odunze, BTJ, Worthy, Pearsall, all have yet to sign. I know these are first rounders so it may be different, but the original topic highlighted that MHJ had signed as if that was the trigger for alarm about Corley. I'd say the only oddity right now is that all the other Jets picks have signed. Then again, we only had two "premium" picks, so I'm guessing it's no big deal ... probably just an overexcited agent trying to make a name for himself.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Oh, there will definitely be a competition.  They're not just going to hand it Corley, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the Jets planning on Corley winning the competition and want him win the competition, but if not, that would OK because that would mean that Gipson had really stepped up his game a notch or two, and they could still give Corley playing time.

When you say that he made a veteran WR FA signing expendable, are you referring to Hardman?  If so, Gipson didn't make Hardman expendable.  Hardman made himself expendable by his lousy play in practice and preseason.  Gipson just showed promise.  I disagree that he as done anything yet in the NFL.

The regime indicated that Gipson made Hardman expendable 

55 minutes ago, Vader said:

The regime indicated that Gipson made Hardman expendable 

Seriously?  It was because Gipson showed promise and had a pulse.  Hardman never showed anything.  He didn't learn the plays, he dropped passes left and right.  I don't think that anyone on the Jets wound up trusting Hardman.  The Jets saying that Gipson made Hardman expendable was just a positive way to say Hardman sucked and they couldn't wait to unload him.

That had everything to do with how bad Hardman was, not how good Gipson was.  Gipson made the team as a returner.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Seriously?  It was because Gipson showed promise and had a pulse.  Hardman never showed anything.  He didn't learn the plays, he dropped passes left and right.  I don't think that anyone on the Jets wound up trusting Hardman.  The Jets saying that Gipson made Hardman expendable was just a positive way to say Hardman sucked and they couldn't wait to unload him.

That had everything to do with how bad Hardman was, not how good Gipson was.  Gipson made the team as a returner.

copium 

I'm not saying Gipson is Jerry Rice, but Gipson was definitely in the CS plans. He wasn't a Rudy. Gipson made two positions expendable if you include PR. This is not a guy that's not going to be in the conversation to start at WR 3. I'm not saying he will or won't or that anyone in particular will or won't. I'm saying it's often the case WRs come in a struggle as rookies. Team has $$ invested in Lazard, who's got a connection with Rodgers and a career on the line. Training camp hasn't even started.

4 minutes ago, Vader said:

copium 

I'm not saying Gipson is Jerry Rice, but Gipson was definitely in the CS plans. He wasn't Rudy. DU made two positions expendable. if you include PR. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  Who or what is DU?