Dolphins OLB Shaq Barrett abruptly retires.

BREAKING: Miami Dolphins OLB Shaq Barrett abruptly retires from NFL just days before training camp (msn.com)

In a shocking turn of events, new Miami Dolphins outside linebacker Shaq Barrett announced his retirement from the National Football League via an Instagram post on Saturday — just days ahead of the club’s start to training camp.

Barrett — who signed a one-year, $9 million deal with the Dolphins this offseason — leaves a glaring hole in Miami’s defensive roster at the outside linebacker position with this announcement, especially considering both Bradley Chubb and Jaelan Phillips were recently placed on the Dolphins’ physically unable to perform list due to their season ending injuries from last year.

Here is what Barrett had to say via his Instagram (moochman6):

“It’s time for me to hang it up. It’s been a great ride and I appreciate everything that came with it over the years. I’m ready to shift my full focus to my wife and kids and helping them to realize there (sic) dreams and catch em. Anyone who caught their dreams before know the work, time and consistency required to reach them. I’m ready to start building them skills up in my kids which will take 100% commitment. IK to some it’ll be a surprise but I’ve been thinking about this for a while and the decision has never been more clear then (sic) it is now.”

The Dolphins selected two accomplished pass rushers in the 2024 NFL Draft in Chop Robinson out of Penn State and Mo Kamara out of Colorado State. The quick development of the rookies will be even more paramount now with the abrupt retirement of Barrett.

• Haha 1

This is a pretty big hit to Miami's defense. I don't know where Chubb & Phillips are at but you have to figure they won't be ready to go Week 1 given the timing of their injuries. They've got a huge hole at pass rusher until they get those guys back at full strength. Don't forget they lost Wilkins as well...

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2024 at 6:30 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

BREAKING: Miami Dolphins OLB Shaq Barrett abruptly retires from NFL just days before training camp (msn.com)

In a shocking turn of events, new Miami Dolphins outside linebacker Shaq Barrett announced his retirement from the National Football League via an Instagram post on Saturday — just days ahead of the club’s start to training camp.

Barrett — who signed a one-year, $9 million deal with the Dolphins this offseason — leaves a glaring hole in Miami’s defensive roster at the outside linebacker position with this announcement, especially considering both Bradley Chubb and Jaelan Phillips were recently placed on the Dolphins’ physically unable to perform list due to their season ending injuries from last year.

Here is what Barrett had to say via his Instagram (moochman6):

“It’s time for me to hang it up. It’s been a great ride and I appreciate everything that came with it over the years. I’m ready to shift my full focus to my wife and kids and helping them to realize there (sic) dreams and catch em. Anyone who caught their dreams before know the work, time and consistency required to reach them. I’m ready to start building them skills up in my kids which will take 100% commitment. IK to some it’ll be a surprise but I’ve been thinking about this for a while and the decision has never been more clear then (sic) it is now.”

The Dolphins selected two accomplished pass rushers in the 2024 NFL Draft in Chop Robinson out of Penn State and Mo Kamara out of Colorado State. The quick development of the rookies will be even more paramount now with the abrupt retirement of Barrett.

I feel No sympathy for that Franchise! wish all the best to Shaq in all his future endeavors. 

• Upvote 1