Did Reddick's camp just provide a road map for his return?

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree that we will agree to disagree.  Let's agree that Reddick is not a premium pass rusher. But, had he played with the Jets last year, he would have led the team in sacks.  He also would have led the Jets team in sacks in 2022, and in 2021 as well. 

You know who led the Jets in sacks in 2023.  That would be Huff, and the Eagles thought enough of him to sign him up, for more money than Reddick is currently getting.

You say he is an unknown?  No, we will agree to disagree on that as well.  So, he is not an unknown.  And just to keep it real, he is still 29 years old.

I said it is unknown what he would give the Jets in 2024, and that's a fact.  Yes, we know what he has done in the past, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily have the same production and success as he has had in the past.  At his age, his speed could start leaving him and he can become more injury-prone.  It's a fact that many players whose main asset is speed start seeing their level of play drop around 29-30.  That doesn't mean that Reddick's definitely will drop, but we don't know that it won't.  Also, I have read time and again that NFL teams don't pay players solely for past production when they give them a new contract.  They also count on what they think the player will be able to give them in the future and for the duration of the new contract.  Teams where a player has spent his whole career may tend to reward a player more for his previous play, but when players like Reddick who are mercenaries have played for a number of teams, their contracts are not rewards for what they've done in the past, they're for what their new team thinks they can give them.  That's why JD said he wanted Reddick in camp and to see how he moved and played, before they would being talking about a new contract. That was a smart and totally reasonable plan, and Reddick should have had no problem with it.

26 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I said it is unknown what he would give the Jets in 2024, and that's a fact.  Yes, we know what he has done in the past, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily have the same production and success as he has had in the past.  At his age, his speed could start leaving him and he can become more injury-prone.  It's a fact that many players whose main asset is speed start seeing their level of play drop around 29-30.  That doesn't mean that Reddick's definitely will drop, but we don't know that it won't.  Also, I have read time and again that NFL teams don't pay players solely for past production when they give them a new contract.  They also count on what they think the player will be able to give them in the future and for the duration of the new contract.  Teams where a player has spent his whole career may tend to reward a player more for his previous play, but when players like Reddick who are mercenaries have played for a number of teams, their contracts are not rewards for what they've done in the past, they're for what their new team thinks they can give them.  That's why JD said he wanted Reddick in camp and to see how he moved and played, before they would being talking about a new contract. That was a smart and totally reasonable plan, and Reddick should have had no problem with it.

No problem with what you said here.  But it takes 2 to tango, and the alternative is doing nothing.  So, we will wait and see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

No problem with what you said here.  But it takes 2 to tango, and the alternative is doing nothing.  So, we will wait and see.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.  A motivated and healthy Reddick could definitely help the team, but the Jets have all the leverage.  They don't have to do anything.  Reddick has to show up at some point if he hopes to continue playing in the NFL and get a new contract next season that is anywhere close to what he wants.  The Jets have him by the short hairs.  Hopefully, he is in shape, wakes up, fires his agent, and gets his ass into camp.

If JD truly went back on his word, Reddick's agents would have leaked it by now. But the best they could come up with is a trade request (basically we screwed up so let's take our ball and go home.)

Meanwhile Douglas issued a statement that essentially says he's been straight up and forward with Reddick since day 1. If there was some egregious misstep by Douglas, we would have heard about it from Reddick's camp by now. They know they can even issue a bs statement like JD promised this or that because they know it would be complete horse crap.

Reddick is a lying sack of sh*t. At this point he should just come in, be a mercenary that his teammates will not endear themselves to and be gone after the season.

21 hours ago, GangGreened said:

List them 

Let’s try watts, bosa, Garrett, hunter, Chubb, Crosby, hunter, Geary, for eight and they are the ones bracketing reddicks salary demands of 25 million. There are better ones on rookie salaries. Reddick was ranked 15th on pressures and 45th on pressure rate so it’s not like even close to the top.  I guess you can factor in his run defense but even their he’s on the wrong side of thirty and declining.

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough.  Like, that's just your opinion, dude.  I think there is some validity to it, but I think the truth lies somewhere in between.  Most posters act like this:  IT'S 100% OBVIOUS!  THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT HUFF!  or IT'S 100% OBVIOUS THEY SHOULD NEVER PAY A PART TIME PLAYER THAT KIND OF MONEY!

I think things in football are rarely that obvious and if they were, it would be much easier to be a GM.  I agree these guys are staking their careers on some of these moves, but that is what I want.  I want them to do their evals and make the choices they want to.  I don't want them to always make the chalk pick like Maccagnan or heaven forbid roll over for the fans and press.  

I appreciate your take.  You may be right, but, as I said, I think the truth is somewhere in between.  The team is built to play with a lead.  Huff was a part of that, but I think it influences his DVOA.  I read all those stats about his top of the league rush ability and I don't know if I believe them.  He is very good, don't get me wrong.  I just don't see anything that jumps out at me. It may be that my eye test isn't that great or that the system is helping a very good player look great.  If he were actually that great, why didn't anybody poach him in 2023?  His advanced stats type numbers like win rate were already elite.  Maybe that was also a mistake around the league.  

His first couple years he had the explosiveness to get to the QB but not enough experience or knowledge to actually get the sack. There was still a big question about that with Huff which was enough to keep people from using draft picks. But that seemed to change and I think his development just continues thus year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Let’s try watts, bosa, Garrett, hunter, Chubb, Crosby, hunter, Geary, for eight and they are the ones bracketing reddicks salary demands of 25 million. There are better ones on rookie salaries. Reddick was ranked 15th on pressures and 45th on pressure rate so it’s not like even close to the top.  I guess you can factor in his run defense but even there he’s on the wrong side of thirty and declining.

Is this the metric you’re using to come up with this? Bryce Huff should be up there then

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:18 PM, batman10023 said:

He’s never really gotten paid well.  The Carolina contract sucked.  The eagles was okay but not as much as I think he should have gotten.  

In all likelihood this is Reddick’s last real NFL contract I can’t blame him for holding out.  And yea I believe some team out there would pay him $20+ million per year on a 4 year deal

• Haha 1

In all likelihood this is Reddick’s last real NFL contract I can’t blame him for holding out.  And yea I believe some team out there would pay him $20+ million per year on a 4 year deal
You think someone is going to give Reddick 20 million per when he is 33 ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1

13 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Reddick turns 30 this season.

I don't know about what they would pay him, but the Bears tried to trade for Matt Judon offering a 3rd round pick - same as the Falcons, but he ultimately chose the Falcons, due to what he believed was a better QB situation.

The Bears could still be looking and they have the cap space to pay Reddick (a little over 38 million at present) they're the only potential suitor, that comes to mind.

Sure there are other teams you can speculate about potentially trading for Reddick, but at this moment, it's known that the Bears have been actively looking for pass-rushing help.

That said, I don't think that the way that Reddick has handled his situation here, will sit very well, with at least some of the more cautious GMs, which could limit his number of potential landing spots, should the Jets decide to try & trade him.

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

He's 29, turns 30 in Sept.  Same age as T.J. Watt, who turns 30 in Oct. and 1 year older than Myles Garret.  They were all drafted the same year and he's the only other player in the league in their stratosphere since they all entered the league and TJ and Myles make 28 and 25 mil a year, respectively.  Reddick is the only player in league history to have double digit sacks on 3 different teams in consecutive years.

So yes, it's entirely plausible he gets a 20mil + deal. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

He's 29, turns 30 in Sept.  Same age as T.J. Watt, who turns 30 in Oct. and 1 year older than Myles Garret.  They were all drafted the same year and he's the only other player in the league in their stratosphere since they all entered the league and TJ and Myles make 28 and 25 mil a year, respectively.  Reddick is the only player in league history to have double digit sacks on 3 different teams in consecutive years.

So yes, it's entirely plausible he gets a 20mil + deal. 

Agree. As always, it will come down to AAV, length of contract, signing bonus and guarantees.

AAV is not anything without understanding the other criteria. Some are just window dressing.