Hot Take Alert: Pro Football is boring

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Real simple.  When you combine big money with sport/entertainment, eventually the entertainment value and actual sport gets whittled down to become a vapid product.

A few examples.  Spend time switching between the major NYC area commercial pop/rock radio stations.  You will hear the same very small batch of songs over and over and over.  The commercials are more entertaining than the handful of overplayed songs.  Its product and nothing but product.  

Another sport I have been into and participated in myself is drag racing.  I raced in one of the sportsman classes.  Back in the late 70's the professional classes were exciting.  You didn't have to be a part of a multi million dollar outfit to run a fuel car.  These days, you see the same half dozen drivers over and over and over.  It is totally commercial now.  The circus left town.  Same deal with Formula 1.  The cars and drivers have no personality or flair.  It has all become sterilized product like the NFL.

The NFL is not sport.  It's sterilized product. 

Nailed it.

How much of the NFL’s current state is thanks to the league’s communist-style control over its teams? Honestly, it’s like a centrally planned regime where owners are just party members trying to stay in line to avoid Goodell’s axe. If you’re not catching on, just ask Jon Gruden and Dan Snyder—they’ve been through the NFL’s version of a public purge.

The NFL has these owners on lockdown with the salary cap, limiting any chance for innovation or bold moves. Just like in a communist economy, everyone gets the same resources, no one’s allowed to rise above, and the result? The same old coaches recycled through the ranks like state-approved factory managers, bringing their outdated, one-size-fits-all playbooks from one team to the next.

And don’t forget the referees—the league’s very own version of secret police, enforcing "parity" with absurd penalties to keep everything equal. Look at Lazard’s "taunting" penalty this week. We’ve gone from upholding the rules to punishing gestures that only the NFL overlords could consider subversive.

The NFL loves this system because it guarantees that 50% of games are decided by a touchdown or less. Parity keeps everyone stuck in the middle, just like any good communist regime wants. And idiots like me? Yeah, we’re hooked, tuning in for 3+ hours every week to watch this perfectly managed mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

can't match the knicks and mets when they're good 

over-reffing and attempts to control the game are really killing it too. A play lasts what like 10 seconds? You have flag after flag on touchy sh*t and then camera is on the refs for like 15-20 seconds or more if they have to deliberate. Bad product. This isn't what people want.

Enough of Taylor Swift for good too.

It's been worse than college for many years.
Just like college basketball is far superior to the NBA
I don't disagree .. but I'd argue the evolution of the college game over the past 15-20 years possibly has contributed to the pro games demise. With the high majority of QBs simply not being able to execute at the pro level coming out ... So much so that the mean average QB olay has plummeted.

The injuries, rules changes and reffing have really messed with this ... Spectacle.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As I wallow in sorrow of another crushing Jets loss, watching these MNF games, I’ve come to the realization that pro football is a boring product.

My beloved Iowa Hawkeyes have been the punch line(rightfully so) for many college football takes because of their complete lack of offense and conservative nature.  The thing is, like 15-20 nfl teams are in similar boats.  Unimaginative, ultra conservative and boring to watch.  

The NFL could never match that Bama/Georgia game from a sheer excitement or atmosphere stand point.  Not even close.

You may not be willing to admit it, but deep down you agree.

I actually love the old school low scoring games. I’m a weirdo for sure in that way lol. I loathe all the offensive shootouts. 

too many teams too many highlights too many game nights (no chance to let it rest and look forward to something). this is in addition to too many other irritations to name here. some have been listed already.