👀 ​😂 Codrington vs Gipson / Isaiah Davis ​

Our return game has also lowkey sucked.

Every other team seems to start at the 30 yard line or better while our guys are running it back and getting tackled at like the 18 😂

JD not only keeps the wrong guy (Gipson) but trades the better player (Codrington) to a division rival.

How this was handled was similar to the Zuerlein / Seibert thing:

Codrington was clearly more dynamic, so what do the Jets do?  They trade the guy who looks better.  The Jets treat the preseason like a showcase for accumulating future draft capital instead of using it to make decisions on which guys can actually help them right now.

By both the numbers and the eye test, Codrington has been objectively better, more dangerous than the combo of Gipson and Davis.

KO Returns

image.png.be8cc913aaf1917db176d5b711eaccd3.png

Punt Returns

image.png.8b6a7306052932e75af489e3746a68ad.png

• Upvote 4

I wouldn’t say “lowkey”

yea, the Codrington move pissed me off and I ranted about it at the time. The jets have a long history of dumping players who played well in preseason and deserved to make the team in favor of coaches pets (e.g. Gipson)

• Upvote 4

I don't think Gipson has made even one play since the walkoff TD in week 1 last year

Bro has been living off of one (well-blocked) play for over a year

I forget which preseason game it was, but Codrington was literally the only thing worth watching

Kid's talent jumped off the screen

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean this isn't why we're losing so really doesn't matter to me.

If we want to address ST... start with replacing our K

Yeah

But field position matters.  Everything matters.

One of the most underappreciated aspects of the '09 and '10 teams was how good the return game was under Westhoff.  We must have had at least 2 or 3 house calls during that time.

I even remember him using Cromartie at one point in the playoffs (against the Colts?) when they needed a big return and it worked.

• Upvote 1

I file this under things are going bad, so I am going to bash everything. 

Yes, our return game has pretty much sucked.  All the specials have.  Codrington is a mid-tier returner.  That is not good enough for a guy that provides literally nothing at any position.  We can hate on Gipson, but he has show some skill as a receiver.  Yes, he does have the kind of ball security issues that make everything an adventure, but somebody must like him.  I would have not problem with cutting him and dropping him on the practice squad but not for Codrington. Later, when  we use that pick to move up for somebody we like, we will all be happy.

Honestly, I am more concerned that they somehow think that Davis is an option.  They ran him at kick returner from camp and he seems to be a complete zero.  They literally seem to have drafted him for this purpose and he seems terrible at it.  I thought maybe they wanted him back there as the second guy to act kind of like a kick return fullback, but whatever they thought it doesn't work and they seemed to have stopped thinking.  

Codrington is not a developmental player.  He is not big.  He is not fast.  He is about to turn 24.  He looked lost and terrible at CB.  He is a return only player and getting a pick for him was a huge score.   

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I file this under things are going bad, so I am going to bash everything. 

Yes, our return game has pretty much sucked.  All the specials have.  Codrington is a mid-tier returner.  That is not good enough for a guy that provides literally nothing at any position. 

IDK, Codrington looked a LOT better as a returner than Gipson in preseason. And what else does Gipson provide? 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

We can hate on Gipson, but he has show some skill as a receiver.   

Compared to whom? Gipson has 3 catches for 22 yards this year. Why not give those reps to Corley? 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, he does have the kind of ball security issues that make everything an adventure, but somebody must like him.   

Yes, supposedly Rodgers and the coaching staff both adore him. And it continues mystify many of us. The guy is living off one flukey punt return over a year ago. The infatuation this team has for Gipson is, frankly, bizarre. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

IDK, Codrington looked a LOT better as a returner than Gipson in preseason. And what else does Gipson provide? 

Compared to whom? Gipson has 3 catches for 22 yards this year. Why not give those reps to Corley? 

Yes, supposedly Rodgers and the coaching staff both adore him. And it continues mystify many of us. The guy is living off one flukey punt return over a year ago. The infatuation this team has for Gipson is, frankly, bizarre. 

Gipson made plenty of plays in camp and preseason last year.  He literally one a game for us on his own and he had a fair season for an UDFA with terrible QBs last year.  Mims did not do much more as a rookie and people were ready to hand him a starting job and apoplectic that he wasn't successful, blaming everyone and everything else.  My point is not that Gipson is good, just that he is better than Codrington.  Codrington looked better in the preseason, but those returns were mostly against 3rd and 4th stringers that weren't going to make rosters.  In the preseason our specials looked fine.  Since the bullets went live they've been a sh*tshow.  It goes waaaaaay deeper than Codrington vs. Gipson.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My point is not that Gipson is good, just that he is better than Codrington. 

Oh really? Based on what, precisely? What this illustrious coaching staff thinks? 

As the OP illustrated, Codrington has been the better returner since, as you put it, the "bullets went live" 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh really? Based on what, precisely? What this illustrious coaching staff thinks? 

As the OP illustrated, Codrington has been the better returner since, as you put it, the "bullets went live" 

Based on the fact that I think he looked at least as good with the Jets.  I'm pretty sure that the Bills, needing a returner, would have given the same deal for Gipson.  I could be wrong, but I also could not give a sh*t.  Codrington does not move the needle.  Just be happy they flipped him or they'd probably have cut Leonard Taylor.

• Thumb Down 1

am i missing something? Cord is only 2.7 yds better in punt return avg. thats nothing. 

and if you take a deeper dive into this .........

Cord had 4 KOs for 32.5 ypk. but if you take that one KO for 53 yds away the other 3 were from 27, 26 and 24 yds for an avg of 25.6 so he broke one KO out of 4 and he is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Gipson? please.

Gipson is avging 24.1

oh yeah that 2.7 per punt kick would really put us in great field position...smh

but i guess we got to bitch about something like there isnt real problems on this team.

• Thumb Down 2

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean this isn't why we're losing so really doesn't matter to me.

If we want to address ST... start with replacing our K

this is why we are losing - we keep stiffs like moses, smith or gibson cause we dont want to hurt their feelings . this whole org is soft as sh*t and so are most of the fanbase