I like Bob Wischusen's thoughts on QB...

NIGHT STALKER

my instinct tells me that even though D'Brick isn't as glamorous a pick that it would be the smart one.You and me UT have been on this one since before you came aboard JN-if Brick's there-take him if not entertain trade offers

The thing I don't like about these kinds of articles is that the basic premise is that the draft is a crap shoot. You can use statistics to make any selection you desire (or in this case do not desire) look better or worse. For example, Wischusen says we should draft a tackle in the first round and let him start for at least the next ten years. Well that's just great; I guess we are to assume that Ferguson is a sure thing while the QBs are not. Not so fast. Let's follow Bob's line of thinking. In the last 10 years 28 tackles were taking in the first 10 picks of each draft. Think some of the GMs would like to take some of these picks back? Now, not everyone made mistakes as we have some possible Hall of Famers in here; Lomas Brown, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. On the next tier we have some solid to very good, probowl caliber guys; Chris Hinton, Jim Covert, Ken Ruettgers, Paul Gruber, Richmond Webb, Bob Whitfield, Ray Roberts, Lincoln Kennedy, Tony Bosselli and Willie Anderson. And of course there are some recent picks where the jury is still out; Chris Samuals, Jordan Gross, Bryant Mckinnie, Levi Jones and Robert Gallery. That leaves 8 names which must be considered monumental busts for where they were drafted; Dean Steinkuhler, Kevin Allen, Tony Mandarich, Charles McRae, Antone Davis, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams and Kyle Turley. Almost a third of the Tackles drafted in the top ten since 1982 haven't lived up to their draft spot.

You could make these numbers look even more lopsided if you did more than just the top 10 of each draft but I was following Bob's logic. Oh and by the way, out of all of these players I just mentioned that have at least 10 years in the league only 7 have played for at least 10 years with the team that has drafted them. If you don't want a QB in round 1 so be it, but massaging the stats to booster ones argument is kind of shallow.....

Do the Jets have to take a QB in the draft?

The answer is Yes and No. It's yes if you're not happy with Patrick Ramsey. It's no if you are happy with Patrick Ramsey.

I don't want to hear this "Brady was drafted in Round 6 so we can wait to draft a qb" garbage. And I sure as hell don't want to hear the "Let's wait until next year for Brady Quinn" bs. When are we going to get better? 2019?

If you want to make Ramsey the qb of the future fine, but get the man some playmakers who can make him look good. Draft Davis and White in Round 1 and stock the O-line and D-line in Rounds 2-5.

Do the Jets have to take a QB in the draft?

The answer is Yes and No. It's yes if you're not happy with Patrick Ramsey. It's no if you are happy with Patrick Ramsey.

I don't want to hear this "Brady was drafted in Round 6 so we can wait to draft a qb" garbage. And I sure as hell don't want to hear the "Let's wait until next year for Brady Quinn" bs. When are we going to get better? 2019?

If you want to make Ramsey the qb of the future fine, but get the man some playmakers who can make him look good. Draft Davis and White in Round 1 and stock the O-line and D-line in Rounds 2-5.

Let's not forget that Ramsey is an UFA next year, so if he comes in and plays lights out there will be a lot of suitors for him. Now if we have a highly rated backup on the bench who we have been grooming and teaching for a year we may not have to shell out the bucks for Ramsey. If we like Ramsey better than the highly rated backup we use the backup as trade bait to pick up a higher pick next year. More likely, Ramsey is average this year and we teach and groom the highly rated backup to start next year.....

why go back 20 years? why not go back 30 years? 40 years?

it seems to me there's a reason why people use the sample sizes that they do when writing these "exploding the myth" statistical analysis and the reason is that if you extend the sample size just a little, the thesis goes to s--t.

why go back 20 years? why not go back 30 years? 40 years?

it seems to me there's a reason why people use the sample sizes that they do when writing these "exploding the myth" statistical analysis and the reason is that if you extend the sample size just a little, the thesis goes to s--t.

I think the last 8-9 years is the most significant because of the internet. There are a lot more opinions for a FO to lean on nowadays than simply one's own scouts. The biggest difference I think this makes is not so much in who a team takes (or likes), but rather WHERE that player gets taken. There's a general idea of where everyone's going to go (at least for the top-50 guys, and certainly for the top-30).

There will always be a player or two that gets taken 20 spots higher or lower than expected, but that's often attributed to a team being high on the player & feeling he won't be there the following round, were unable to trade down, and/or had Terry Bradway drafting for them.

But there weren't any websites nor as many resources out there back then. Don't kid yourself - the GM's read them. The odds of us taking a Roger Vick in round one would be almost non-existant. We may not have stayed pat in the Brett Favre draft if he was graded by 50 websites as being a top-30 player or higher and we were desperate for a QB with the 34th pick.

So I think that draft studies that go back to the 80's are totally outdated as far as success rates for 1st-rounders, top-10, etc. With the internet the first rounds would've all looked very different over the years. And as much as that comes into play in the first round, it goes up exponentially for the mid-later rounds. Guys who got taken in the 3rd round, if one could gauge the collective wisdom, a team would've realized he would've been there 2 rounds later. (That is unless your team's GM is Terry Bradway & drafts 5th-round FB's & DT's in the third and mid-late 2nd-round OLB/DE's in the first).

Archived