D'Brick was the Right Choice

Warfish

I know there is a vast amount of dsispleasure (in some corners of Jetfandom) that we took Brick. Personally, I believe it was the correct pick for us. Our O-line is vastly weak, even with the few we picked up in FA, and whomever plays QB will need protection to succeed (as will Martin/Blaylock/Houston/Draft Pic/Whomever).

Leinart, while the "obvious big name/hyped/shiny and pretty" pick, really could have been a risk pick for the new Jets regime. I think this picks shows that Mangini and Co. will give Chadwick (first) and Ramsey (second, or 1st if Chad is not ready) every possible chance to redeem themselves and win the #1 QB job this season. And I believe that is goes directly to the "Bellichek-Theory" of drafting, that O-line/D-line players may in fact be more important that the riskyness of a top round QB.

I fully expect to see a QB in round 2 or more likely round 3 (Croyle/Whitehurst/Clemmens/Jacobs). Again, this was THE hard pick for the Jets F.O., knowing the fans would despise it (as we clearly do, witness the drama and self-flaggelation going on right now, and the various F Mangini, F Tanny comments). They made the hard pick, the unpopular pick, but perhaps the right pick for THSI team at THIS time.

Who knows. We'll find out soon enough. But again, I stress to my felow fans, to take my tack, no mater who we take today: Do not Judge Mangini and Tanny now, Judge them when we see the FULL PACKAGE of the team they put on the field in 2006. I do not think we can really tell how right or wrong, or how good or bad, a job they have done till that time.

Remember, they know more than we do, even if we sometimes refuse to remember that.

Just think, we could still end up with an O-Line like this:

LT Brick

LG Kendall

C Mangold

RG Jean-Gillies

RT Jones

This line would be good for years to come IMO, and would pave the way for much better play from both the RB's and QB/WR's on our roster today. Even subbing a Maoroney/White at RB instead of either Mangold or Jean-Gillies, it still would take our largest weakness of 2005, and tyurning it into a strength for years to come.

O-line was, by far, our largest area of weakness in 2005, and the cause of our downfall (both in the weakness of our running game, and the injuries to our top two QB's, and then Bollinger's "run for your life" play later).

The Brick pick is the first great move in turning that weakness into a strength with a ready-to-play, profession, get-it-done kind of player who will coontibute immediately.

I still hope beyon dhope than our choice at #29 is Mangold, and at #35 is Jean-Gillies. Those picks would build the basis for a championship O-line for years to come.

Again......we, the fans, may not like it, but I truly believe the fact remains that Mangini si going to give both Chad (1st) and Ramsey (2nd, or if Chad isn't ready) EVERY opportunity to wina nd keep the #1 job at QB, and to redeem and revive themselves as franchise QB's. If that is what they want to do, we better get used to this idea as fans, because it is what it is.

Lets see where Mangini and Co. go next.

Thank god you approve

Surely had we drafted a game breaker like Reggie Bush, or an all world TE we surely would have heard about it

At #4, you get a game changer

We got vanilla ice cream, that would have been there at 29

I see JonE. Luxury pick TE's and trading half your draft for one player wins Super Bowls, not well-rounded teams, right?

Thank god you approve

Surely had we drafted a game breaker like Reggie Bush, or an all world TE we surely would have heard about it

At #4, you get a game changer

We got vanilla ice cream, that would have been there at 29

Had we taken Bush (without giving up three picks to get him) or Davis, I would not be as happy, but I would have supported it. I know this pick is vastly unpopular with some, and there is nothing I, or anyone else, can say to dissuade those who wanted Leianrt or Davis or Cutler at #4.

It is what it is Jon, the Jets clearly felt as I do, that O-line was our greatest and most clear cut need coming in. Only time will tell (to a degree) if they were right.

And please, remember that Leinart, at #10, went to a team with a VAST array of talented O skill players. Any success he has there simply does not equate to the success he could have had here.

But again, I appreicate and understand your opinion and dissapointment Jon, although I could do with a little less of the neccessary sarcasm. After all, it may have been the3 pick I favored, but I didn't MAKE the pick my friend. :)

I know there is a vast amount of dsispleasure (in some corners of Jetfandom) that we took Brick. Personally, I believe it was the correct pick for us. Our O-line is vastly weak, even with the few we picked up in FA, and whomever plays QB will need protection to succeed (as will Martin/Blaylock/Houston/Draft Pic/Whomever).

Leinart, while the "obvious big name/hyped/shiny and pretty" pick, really could have been a risk pick for the new Jets regime. I think this picks shows that Mangini and Co. will give Chadwick (first) and Ramsey (second, or 1st if Chad is not ready) every possible chance to redeem themselves and win the #1 QB job this season. And I believe that is goes directly to the "Bellichek-Theory" of drafting, that O-line/D-line players may in fact be more important that the riskyness of a top round QB.

I fully expect to see a QB in round 2 or more likely round 3 (Croyle/Whitehurst/Clemmens/Jacobs). Again, this was THE hard pick for the Jets F.O., knowing the fans would despise it (as we clearly do, witness the drama and self-flaggelation going on right now, and the various F Mangini, F Tanny comments). They made the hard pick, the unpopular pick, but perhaps the right pick for THSI team at THIS time.

Who knows. We'll find out soon enough. But again, I stress to my felow fans, to take my tack, no mater who we take today: Do not Judge Mangini and Tanny now, Judge them when we see the FULL PACKAGE of the team they put on the field in 2006. I do not think we can really tell how right or wrong, or how good or bad, a job they have done till that time.

Remember, they know more than we do, even if we sometimes refuse to remember that.

Just think, we could still end up with an O-Line like this:

LT Brick

LG Kendall

C Mangold

RG Jean-Gillies

RT Jones

This line would be good for years to come IMO, and would pave the way for much better play from both the RB's and QB/WR's on our roster today. Even subbing a Maoroney/White at RB instead of either Mangold or Jean-Gillies, it still would take our largest weakness of 2005, and tyurning it into a strength for years to come.

O-line was, by far, our largest area of weakness in 2005, and the cause of our downfall (both in the weakness of our running game, and the injuries to our top two QB's, and then Bollinger's "run for your life" play later).

The Brick pick is the first great move in turning that weakness into a strength with a ready-to-play, profession, get-it-done kind of player who will coontibute immediately.

I still hope beyon dhope than our choice at #29 is Mangold, and at #35 is Jean-Gillies. Those picks would build the basis for a championship O-line for years to come.

Again......we, the fans, may not like it, but I truly believe the fact remains that Mangini si going to give both Chad (1st) and Ramsey (2nd, or if Chad isn't ready) EVERY opportunity to wina nd keep the #1 job at QB, and to redeem and revive themselves as franchise QB's. If that is what they want to do, we better get used to this idea as fans, because it is what it is.

Lets see where Mangini and Co. go next.

couldnt agree more....pats won SBs with Antowain Smith and the Steelers did it with a washed up Bettis and an undrafted FA at RB....great lines can elevate the play of the entire offense....great backs behind a medicore line can kill six or seven drives in a row and then have one nice ESPN highlight run in a 31-7 loss

What are the Jets going to block their way to touchdowns this season?

We can't spend our first three picks on the offensive line.

If Deangelo is sitting there at 29, for gods sake, make a splash.

Matt, I know we are on vastkly different viewpoints as to what creates a Chmpionship organization, and I will not criticise you for your view, it is yours and you are welcome to it.

But I will say that "Are they going to BLOCK their way to touchdowns" is a very ignorant comment. Without blocking, there are no TD's, no good RB's and no good QB's. I know you know this, and I get your frustration over the passing on Leinart/Davis/Culter/O-Skill Player, but this is simply a silly comment to make. You can argue that a skill player was more of a need, but not that blocking is so meaningless, as you have with this comment.

And I, for one, do not care about "Splashes". I care about building a foundation for Championships. It is certainly possible that Deangleo (or Moroney or White) is the best choice at #29 to do that. I simply prefer Mangold.

Matt, I know we are on vastkly different viewpoints as to what creates a Chmpionship organization, and I will not criticise you for your view, it is yours and you are welcome to it.

But I will say that "Are they going to BLCOK their way to touchdowns" is a very ignorant comment. Without blocking, there are no TD's, no good RB's and no good QB's. I know you know this, and I get your frustration, but this si simply a silly comment to make.

And I, for one, do not care about "Splashes". I care about building a foundation for Championships. It is certainly possible that Deangleo (or Moroney or White) is the best choice at #29 to do that. I simply prefer Mangold.

War, I was being sarcastic my man. I don't hate the Brick pick at all, I just would have approved giving up a few to get Reggie, who I think will be a superstar.

All I'm saying our offense with or without an offensive line still stinks.

War, I was being sarcastic my man. I don't hate the Brick pick at all, I just would have approved giving up a few to get Reggie, who I think will be a superstar.

All I'm saying our offense with or without an offensive line still stinks.

I'll agree to this degree: We DO need to aquire soemthing from this draft at the O-Skill positions. Be that a RB at #29 (perhaps a good option) or a WR someplace else.

I do think it is all but a lock now that we will select a QB either at #71, or our late 3rd Comp Pick. Not flashy, and not immediate, but perhaps the best option in this draft with the "top 3" all posing such serious risks vs their potentially seriosu rewards.

Fish

I no way shape or form did I want Leinart, young, or Cutler for that matter

At #4 we should have tried for a game changer....ie Davis, Hawk

What i really wanted was to trade down

i just feel that McNeil, or Justice, or Winston are similar, if not better choices than Brick....these guys would, or a few of them would be there at 29

But sicne we're playing it close to the vest.....i think we need to go DE or LB here at 29

BAP at 35

It is what it is

We have a vanilla coach right now...no necessarily a bad thing

Fish

I no way shape or form did I want Leinart, young, or Cutler for that matter

At #4 we should have tried for a game changer....ie Davis, Hawk

What i really wanted was to trade down

i just feel that McNeil, or Justice, or Winston are similar, if not better choices than Brick....these guys would, or a few of them would be there at 29

But sicne we're playing it close to the vest.....i think we need to go DE or LB here at 29

BAP at 35

It is what it is

We have a vanilla coach right now...no necessarily a bad thing

Hawk would have been a VERY solid pick at #4, going on the "Super Unit" theory Hambone likes so much.

Davis, as many know, I doubted. Personal taste and historical fear I suppose.

DE or LB at #29 might be good too. This is why I like what Mangini has done so much to-date, we have need (of ocurse), but we are vastly flexable in who and what we can take.

O-line? Great!

RB? Great!

DE or LB? Great!

Even WR or some other wild card pick....could be great!

We have two picks coming up. All I can do is hope our Vanilla coach knows whats best. I was against his hiring, but he has continually proved me wrong so far.....but his real judgement will come when I see what the complete package he has built for us looks like.

And remember, ALL of my views are effected by the fact that I personally believe Patrick Ramsey wil lshock and suprise many, win the #1 job, and succeed for us. That (controversial and not widely held) view effects my thinking on al of these issues.

Honestly I don't think anyone we could picked on offense this year could have a real significant immediate impact outside of offensive linemen. If we build the offensive line this year, they have a year to develop together and then we're in a position next year where the offensive playmakers we draft could have an opportunity to have a significant impact. The consensus is that this year is going to be a rebuilding, and probably losing, season anyway.

Fish

You lost me with the Ramsey thing....sorry Bro....the guy is horrible

I know Jon, I lose ALOT of Jets fans with that view. But I'd be lying if I said I though Chad was ever going to regain his form, and I have liked Ramsey since the first time I watched him here in DC.

I know Jon, I lose ALOT of Jets fans with that view. But I'd be lying if I said I though Chad was ever going to regain his form, and I have liked Ramsey since the first time I watched him here in DC.

We're probably not going to win next year anyways, so I'm OK with Ramsey being brought in, especially for the price he cost us.

The kid was a 1st rounder for a reason. I'm excited to see what he has to offer. If you, a DC-based fan, have liked what you have seen from him, I default to you on this one. He can't be any worse than Pennington.

Archived